DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/102741-tales-wonder-woe-uwol-5-a.html)

Meryem Ersoz September 3rd, 2007 10:36 AM

Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #5

okay, first big weekend came and went, plus an extra bonus day today for those of you in the United States....happy labor day y'all.

so chime in and tell us what kind of big stinky animals you've been chasing after...

there is so much bear poop in the alley behind my house that i should do a scatalogical study. no sign of monsieur bruin, however, only lots of tipped over trash cans....

John Dennis Robertson September 3rd, 2007 01:56 PM

Spent the whole weekend in bed with flu....change of season here,going into summer.The good part about this is that it has given me time to plan this challenge a little bit and not rush out and film the first mammal i see (my dog)
Oh well only 5 more work days to go before I can get out and film something.

Kevin Railsback September 3rd, 2007 01:57 PM

Man, flu is the worse!
Hope you're feeling better soon!

Mat Thompson September 3rd, 2007 02:47 PM

Hey people....Just got back from the Alps and lots of climbing, white water, and very, very dogdy glacier boarding fun. Anyway....just seen the topic....GREAT STUFF , and I have 2 ideas so far but I'm going to keep pondering for another day or 2 and see if I can have any other brainwaves.

Oh and true to form I fell down some rocks in France and my right leg is some great shades of black, blue and yellow with large grazes and cuts down the shin and knee...

and I havent even started UC5 yet ;-) oh my !

oh - Got some great views of Dipper/Yellow wagtails over there and saw an Osprey which I havent seen before.....great bird !

Per Johan Naesje September 3rd, 2007 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mat Thompson (Post 738678)
oh - Got some great views of Dipper/Yellow wagtails over there and saw an Osprey which I havent seen before.....great bird !

Mat, did you get any footage/photo of the Osprey?

On my way back from the Bears in Finland I managed to get some nice footage of an Osprey, shoot with Canon 300mm f4.0
A short QT-film: http://www.video-film.no/snutter/osprey.mov (2.2MB)

Well, I'm planning my uwol-5 entry, I got some very large mammals up in the mountains... ...this gonna be fun :-)

Meryem Ersoz September 3rd, 2007 03:52 PM

i looove ospreys, that is a phenomenal osprey, per!

Geir Inge September 3rd, 2007 04:38 PM

Submission from the west coast - Norway

Well, this uwol competition gives me a challenge on several levels :)

1. What mammal am I to choose? It's not an easy task. Wild animals don't walk up to my door waiting for me to make them video stars in uwol :) and I do want to shoot a wild animal. Though my brother-in-law is a farmer, it would be too easy just filming some cows in the field.

2. Then I came up with an idea of videoing something more informative/documentary this time, within of reach. But if I'm to use narration, and yes I am, I have to "try" to get it in propper english, right Meryem? I think like a norwegian, talk like a norwegian and our languages are quite different in the way we put the words together in sentences. Now I've been gathering information, trying to put together a manuscript, storyboard and how to approach the theme. Not finished yet, but I'm working on it.

3. I've decided to start with the ending first. This way I think the rest will come pretty easy, or at least I hope so.

4. Weather conditions, well it's been raining for weeks and the Autumn is just around the corner. +5C yesterday.

5. When shooting, I have to remember to get those close ups, point of view and some cutaways, right?

6. My mammal? Well, my dream is to film the arctic fox in the wild, but my chances are small, so I've chosen another mammal/breed dated to be 3000 years old, almost disappeared in 1955 (just about 100 left) because of ignorance from high society ladies in Bergen, now theres 20 000 of them and I'm not talking about 20 000 ladies.

7. A tamed animal, but a few still live the same way they did 3000 years ago, owned by farmers, but still in the wild.

8. My video will be at two locations, main land and far out on a tiny island where my "chosen ones" are the only inhabitants.

9. Uwol is becoming an obsession, the adrenaline is pumping and I just love it :)

10. But will I manage to accomplish my plan? And who'll stop the rain?

Brian McKay September 3rd, 2007 06:24 PM

The weather today was absolutely fantastic, not a drop of wind, bright sun and surprisingly warm for this time of year.

When the theme was anounced I pushed around a few ideas made a few phone calls and arranged a number of outings. Today was spent boating with a good friend we put on a ton of miles and yes I got some excellent opportunities but now I'm afraid to take a look just incase I screwed it up. If it's junk I'm off to the tank....Kevin move over.

Everyone all together now.... think good footage....good footage...hummmmm.

Brian

Kevin Railsback September 3rd, 2007 06:29 PM

I'm sure you did just fine Brian. Besides, there's only room in the tank for me! :)

Gordon Hoffman September 3rd, 2007 07:01 PM

Since the challenge started I was hoping I could work in the elk rut in the Septembers challenge. Well it worked out well. Other than the fact that the public lands in this area have been closed to the public for over a month now because of extreme fire hazard. Even the National park here has restrictions on where you can go.

Gordon Hoffman

Greg Boston September 3rd, 2007 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geir Inge (Post 738716)
But if I'm to use narration, and yes I am, I have to "try" to get it in propper english, right Meryem? I think like a norwegian, talk like a norwegian and our languages are quite different in the way we put the words together in sentences.

Some words of encouragement from a native English speaker. Your English grammar skills are very apparent in what you wrote here. If you can narrate as you have written in this forum, you will be fine.

regards,

-gb-

Meryem Ersoz September 3rd, 2007 09:37 PM

hey, geir, don't put it on me. i love your norvegian. i find you quite charming, and you express yourself really good, uh...er, i mean really well.

Per Johan Naesje September 4th, 2007 12:42 AM

Quote:

2. Then I came up with an idea of videoing something more informative/documentary this time, within of reach. But if I'm to use narration, and yes I am, I have to "try" to get it in propper english, right Meryem? I think like a norwegian, talk like a norwegian and our languages are quite different in the way we put the words together in sentences. Now I've been gathering information, trying to put together a manuscript, storyboard and how to approach the theme. Not finished yet, but I'm working on it.

Geir Inge,
your english is very good, and you should continue speaking this way... ...my plan will be to put together a story which will require some narrating too.
Good luck with your entry Geir Inge!

Geir Inge September 4th, 2007 01:59 AM

Hehehe, Meryem, quite charming?
I had to look in my English dictionary and translate it to Norwegian.
It says; lovely, nice, pleasant, pleasing and even graceful, so that’s it, from now on I’m using English narration in all of my videos :)

Still I'm trying to make a documentary in 3 min, thats quite a challenge, if I only had 2 min more to work on, I would be singing in the rain. But the rules says 3min, so 3min it is.

Per Johan; up in the mountains? I'm jealous, you might even get some snow in Dovre?

Good luck everyone and to you Kevin; you're talking about passion and I know exactly what you mean, but look at what we, the other uwolers have written. It says, stay out of the tank, we want to see your film in uwol5. Thats passion too I guess, he? And it is what this community is all about. Passion about film, wildlife and nature and at the same time, getting friends, taking care of each other, even if it is just in cyper space. There is no forum like "ours" in the whole world!

Trond Saetre September 4th, 2007 02:03 AM

Quote:

4. Weather conditions, well it's been raining for weeks and the Autumn is just around the corner. +5C yesterday.

6. My mammal? Well, my dream is to film the arctic fox in the wild, but my chances are small, so I've chosen another mammal/breed dated to be 3000 years old, almost disappeared in 1955 (just about 100 left) because of ignorance from high society ladies in Bergen, now theres 20 000 of them and I'm not talking about 20 000 ladies.

I hear you about the weather, Geir Inge. We have had our share of rain further south her on the west coast too. But today it's bright blue sky, and only a breeze. I better head out right now to see if I can find some mammals.

So far, the only mammals I have seen around here (except for humans of course), are a bunch of cows and some sheep. Not the most exciting animals in my opinion. But it's nice to have a backup plan, right.

I have another and better idea too, but not sure if I can accomplish that before the deadline.

6. I'll tell those old ladies in Bergen to behave good and save your mammals!