DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Welcome our UWOL #5 Judge! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/103169-welcome-our-uwol-5-judge.html)

Meryem Ersoz September 9th, 2007 04:06 PM

Welcome our UWOL #5 Judge!

I'm really excited to have our latest judge, Bob Brandon, on board to see what the UWOL crew has been shooting this month. Bob's formal bio is below, but it's much more interesting to hear him tell his own stories. He has a crazy story about shooting footage of falcons while dangling from a rope attached to a hundred pounds of Beta gear. He was one of the first shooters to mount a camera to a skateboard--in the 70s--and won one of his many awards for this footage, which was quite cutting-edge back then. Imagine the size of the camera!

So he's a kindred UWOL spirit, running around the outdoors doing all kinds of nutty camera experiments. Our kinda guy! He's seen it all and done it all. He's also one of the nicest, most generous fellas you'll ever meet and recently helped me out by shooting all of the finish line footage at the Boulder Peak triathlon and mentoring us through the job....Whether he is shooting for 48 Hours or shooting for me, he approaches each job with equal enthusiasm and respect.

His formal bio, below, can tell you the rest of the story:

Bob Brandon is approaching the completion of his fourth decade as a cameraman. Brandon shot his first images in 1966, while still in college, as a news photographer for KGNC Television in Amarillo, Texas. In the nine years Brandon spent at Channel Two - KPRC TV in Houston, he won more than 30 major awards for his photojournalism. He was named Photographer of the Year in 1975 by the National Press Photographers Association. He moved into the special projects department of KPRC TV in 1975 to co-produce a weekly newsmagazine called “The Eyes of Texas”. In 1977, Brandon was named Chief Photographer and Assistant News Director. He spearheaded the change from film to video tape in the newsroom and has been a video cameraman ever since then.

In 1979 Brandon left Channel Two to begin a freelance career that continues today. He was named Photographer of the Year a second time in 1980. He shoots projects for ABC News 20/20, NBC News Magazine, CBS News 48 Hours and 60 Minutes, and other national programs. He helped develop the familiar style of CBS News 48 Hours that took the camera off the tripod and moved it with the story subjects. The style demanded more freedom for the cameraman/soundman team, so Brandon and the core photographers at 48 Hours helped develop the wireless link system of sound operation that is now standard in the industry. He was on the team that won two national Emmys for groundbreaking 48 Hours broadcasts.

Please welcome him!

David Gemmell September 9th, 2007 05:03 PM

Congratulations Bob on such a wonderful and varied career.

I have no doubt that judging UWOL #5 will certainly add to the many challenges you have experienced to date.

Welcome aboard.

Chris Barcellos September 9th, 2007 05:04 PM

Bob Brandon:

We gratefully thank you for agreeing to grace our humble little corner of the internet !

Mat Thompson September 9th, 2007 05:15 PM

Welcome to uwol BOB......you've come in on what by the sounds of things is going to be a great round !!

Geir Inge September 10th, 2007 12:33 AM

Welcome Bob.
It's great to have such an expertise onboard the "uwol ship".

All the best.
Geir Inge

Per Johan Naesje September 10th, 2007 01:11 AM

Welcome Bob, your bio really impressed me.
It's going to be exciting to see what you get out of the uwol-challenge group! Think this round going to be very tough from a judge viewpoint!

All the best!

John Dennis Robertson September 10th, 2007 02:19 AM

Welcome Bob
we are privileged to have such an Enthusiast on board

Trond Saetre September 10th, 2007 02:29 AM

Welcome to the UWOL family, Bob!
The challenge is in good hands with you judging this round.

Gordon Hoffman September 10th, 2007 07:47 AM

Welcome Bob. It looks like you like to think outside the box. Your comments and advise will be a real value to this group.

Gordon Hoffman

Bruce Foreman September 10th, 2007 11:51 AM

And I also welcome you!

Thanks for taking on the challenge of reviewing and judging our efforts. We all appreciate it very much.

Looks like you've had some real fun along the way and enjoyed some great challenges and accomplishments of your own.

Meryem Ersoz September 10th, 2007 10:02 PM

A shout-out to the players from Bob....

a note from bob, who is waiting for Chris to authorize his account...IBC may be keeping Chris busy right now....

"I registered Saturday, but for some reason the web site is rejecting my
password, saying it is invalid. I have written an email to the host asking
for help. In the meantime would you please post a reply to the nice folks
who wrote in reaction to your generous intro. Please explain that I will be
online as soon as the website will allow and I look forward to the contest.
bb"

Per Johan Naesje September 11th, 2007 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz (Post 742321)
a note from bob, who is waiting for Chris to authorize his account...IBC may be keeping Chris busy right now....

IBC, Amsterdam? Canon are screening one of my wildlifereel at the exhibition, gosh he maybe seen some of my work :-)

Bob Brandon September 12th, 2007 12:19 PM

It is an honor to be among some great nature shooters.

Meryem has told me about your work and I am impressed. I am eager to see some of it. This competition should produce some good material and I look forward to seeing it. I am glad we worked out the technical bugs preventing me getting into the thread and now I am ready to go.

Ron Chant September 12th, 2007 03:14 PM

Welcome Bob, Thanks for stepping in, on the UWOL challenge number 5

Catherine Russell September 21st, 2007 10:47 AM

Hello and welcome Bob!

We are all excited for you to join the uwol family and share the fun with us this round.

All the best!

Cat Russell