UWOL #5 Australian Spirit by David Gemmell - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 26th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #16
Major Player

I really liked the flow of your piece, with the layered visual introduction woven with the Australian music setting the tone. The various shots of the kangaroos were outstanding, and the fighting sequences were amazing. The cinematography was excellent, and the editing enhanced your footage. It was fun to see the true behavior, and I appreciate the effort you took in getting that on film- I enjoyed this one a lot!

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #17
Major Player

David… that is cool. I visited Melbourne and Bendigo in Mars till April this year and I love it. Your film really made me wanna go back (and I will). I love the shot at 00.18-00.24, the one with the fog on the creek. You did a superb job and this is one of the best. I miss a VO, I thing that with a VO this would be a seller… good job.
I like the way you edited with opacity, really nice. In some of the shot it looks like you got the camera on a tripod but you still move the camera around (fight scene). The shot on the Roo who feed and scratch himself on the belly is so cool… love it. The do a lot of “human behaviors”.

Markus Nord
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I had to watch this 4 or 5 times. I kept getting caught up in the beauty of it all, and forgetting to look at critically. (I always have that problem when I try to study well done material.)

Everything had a natural flow. The layered intro, the music, the slo-mo scenes... it was all great.

Although I've learned something from everyone's work in this contest, this is an example of the quality I hope to achieve someday.
Jason Sovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #19
Major Player

David excellent footage. Since I don’t know a lot about kangaroos that’s where a little narration would have been nice. Still enjoyable to watch.
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #20
Trustee

"Skippy, Skippy - Skippy the bush kangaroo"
Excuce me no offend David, but you braught me back to the 60's and my childhood favorite TV series, of caurse back in those days it all went in black and white. Instantly I start humming on that old tune :)

Great film and editing and the didjeridoos made it some how complete.
If I may be so free, maybe some narrations on some places would have fit to this short, fighting scene and the babyroos? Though the title tell us a lot, I think the Australian spirit is more than just kangaroos. But this is just a personal feeling I have and I know you can't fill 3 min with all wishes.
My favorite is the opening sequence wich gave me a touch of The Australian spirit right away.

Again it's a great film and I wish you all the best.
Geir Inge
Old September 29th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks Geir Inge & Gordon,
I didn't want to include narration in this film as I didn't want to turn it into a documentary style of film.
I simply wanted to capture something that came with the fighting scenes and the play scenes. These scenes, combined with the fact the kangaroo is such an Australian icon, led to the music selection and the attempt at bringing in a spiritual feel throughout the film.
I feel narration would have taken something away from what I was trying to achieve.
I did have excellent quality narration (thanks to Sue, my wife) however, we both agreed the film achieved the better outcome without it.
It really is a personal thing I guess.
Thanks so much for your feedback and all the very best to you both.
David
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #22
Inner Circle

David,

for me here in canada, what a joy seeing the kangaroos and wallybes?

Getting audio in the wind is almost impossible with out expensive equipment! Look forward to some clips with audio in the future!!

thank you so much for sharing!!!

The title was suiting in my book
Old October 12th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #23
Trustee

David,

I know I commented on this one already but I had to go back and watch it again without being under time pressure to watch and comment on all the others.

I find it even more entertaining, the editing and pacing really add to the unique views you captured.

I hope you're having a bit of fun in your home environs calling yourself "an award winning video producer". You earned it.

Bruce Foreman
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #24
Major Player

Hi Bruce,
Great to hear from you - and particularly nice to read your comments.
Yes, it is a joy to share my entry with my family and friends and also talk about being the co winner with another fantastic entry (which I always encourage them to download). You would be very excited to hear how others have commented on Cinco!
It is such a positive experience to be part of the UWOL Community and I am really looking forward to UWOL #6 - as I am sure you are (I can hear Meryem cackling in the background with some mischievous theme).
All the very best.
David
David Gemmell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge