UWOL #5 Australian Spirit by David Gemmell at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 20th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL #5 Australian Spirit by David Gemmell

I am about to go on holidays, so I have posted my feedback thread a bit early.

Australian Spirit

I filmed these kangaroos at a disused picnic area deep within a National Park. These kangaroos were very shy when first approached however, over a period of three days, they started to accept my presence. I could have filmed Kangaroos at the local golf course or wildlife park however, I wanted to capture the natural behaviour of wild kangaroos.

After watching their behaviour, ie bucks fighting, joey’s playing, mother’s care of the joey, etc, I started thinking of how the kangaroo relates to Australia & started thinking of the Australians fighting spirit – particularly in sport, but also in war, where Australians have always supported their allies. I also thought about Australian’s passion for recreation and the great outdoors, ie Australian’s play time. These thoughts, combined with the almost spiritual icon of the kangaroo (only found in Australia) led to the naming of the film.

I am generally pleased with the outcome – with the exception of sound. I did want to capture the energy that goes into the bucks fighting (their roars at each other, etc) however, the wind on the morning that I managed to find some fighting bucks was too strong for the new shotgun mic. Maybe next time.

I hope you enjoy it.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 05:23 PM   #2
Trustee

David....I feel like a kid waiting for xmas!! I'm stoked someone has brought a film on Roo's to the challenge........and If the shooting is the standard of your last piece we should be in for a real treat!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 05:11 AM   #3
Trustee

Well David you haven’t disappointed at all.

In my eyes this is a winning level entry by previous standards (I've only watched 2 in this round so far). You have subtlety, style, great subject matter, interesting scenes and editing and a fitting music track. Basically you seem to have taken the best of your last entry and brought the entire level up considerably....including dropping the nasty titles ;-)

The fight sequence you got was splendid as were the Joeys trying to learn to tame that big set of springs. A couple of your shots seemed to have odd contrast, colouring (High in Magenta 1.25-1.50ish), maybe down to compression or the light in that situation. I loved the fence shot, great light and tone!

I'd like to see a higher resolution version of this piece, so I hope you post one! I think this will be a tough entry to top...very well done.

Last edited by Mat Thompson; September 26th, 2007 at 09:03 AM.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #4
Trustee

David, wow - what can I say. This is one of the finest wildlifefilms I've seen in a long time, top notch!
For me this is an exotic mammal I've never seen in real life. You presented it in a very nice way David. The fighting scene was stunning, fun to view how they used the tail to balance. And the baby-kangaroos (joey's) was very cute.
Perhaps you should consider some narrating to explain some of the behaviour?

Thanks very much for showing this, excellent!
Old September 26th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #5
Inner Circle

David, this was awesome. You did very well!
The intro was the best I have seen so far.
The fight scene made me feel like I was there watching with my own eyes.

Thank you for sharing.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #6
Major Player

Mat, Per & Trond,

Thanks for the wonderful feedback.

Mat, I believe the magenta look you refer to was the natural colour at that time, on that particular day. It was a beautiful dusk and there was a real golden glow cast by the clouds. In fact, this footage was really the only footage I actually liked.

Off to download some more entries.

Thanks once again - you guys have really made my day!
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #7
Major Player

Wow David this is good stuff man.Fitting title to your movie with Roo's and haunting digerdoo sounds.I was blown away with your entry in the last challenge,and this has lived up to the same if not better quality,You keep turning out great quality like this and I will keep being a fan and watching.well done.
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #8
Trustee

Hi David:

After reading everyone's comments I know I am really missing out! I don't have the means to play MP4... I will try and work on this and get back to you. In the mean time, do you have it in QT?

Sorry I'm missing out.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Cat,
I only use Quicktime to check my mpeg4 files - so it should open in QT with no problems. Please let me know if you are having any difficulty.
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #10
Trustee

I've got to see this film...

I'm trying another system and will be in touch!

Cat
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #11
Inner Circle

David:

Very nice !!!!!! And very informative. I am amazed by these animals, not having had that much exposure to them prior to seeing your film, the film provides some real educational benefit as well as beautifully shot footage. Thanks !
Old September 26th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #12
Trustee

Okay David!

Got it, and have reviewed your film. Stunning footage, and great choice of Aussi music with the digerydoo (spelling?).

We at uwol are blessed to be able to experience this footage, roos in the wild. The lighting in the end was cool and I can see why Mat thought something was going on that wasn't natural. Knowing that it is makes it all that more intriguing.

This was a thrill to watch. Excellent job.

Cat
Old September 26th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #13
Trustee

You showed us all outside of Australia something both entertaining, and educational about kangaroos. Cinematography was well done, music went super well with your visuals and the whole was very enchanting.

But most of all you captured a side of these animals I had never seen in any documentaries on them. The one leaning way over as it scratched was hilarious, but really fascinating was the two with their joeys climbing in and out of the pouch. (they look to being close to having outgrown those accommodations)

You showed a very endearing side of these fascinating creatures.

I enjoyed it very much and will be watching it again.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi David, had a little trouble on the upload, but its here on the Mac now, where to start, the editing layers first class,
each scene from the strong sunlit rusty fence through to the end, Brilliant.

Very much liked the shot of the two roos fighting, using their tails to keep them up right and stand their ground,
when they finished their bout they adopted the posture of Sumo wrestlers.

Intro Aboriginal sound I thought was V good.
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #15
Major Player

Thank you all for your very positive feedback.

It's school holiday time here in Australia - so I'm off again for another week.

I think I have managed to give feedback on all entries however, if I have forgotten anyone, please accept my apologies and I will certainly get onto this when I get back. I believe Dale's is yet to be uploaded however, this is one I will certainly look out for on my return.

Really enjoyed looking at all the entries. Great variations on the theme - which my family and I have thoroughly enjoyed.

We are all off water skiing for the week, where I can capture my true love with the camera - filming the family.

All the very best...
David Gemmell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge