Best of the Best at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 21st, 2007, 12:11 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Best of the Best

Good morning.

I had an interesting thought while going over some of the posts.

Wouldn't it be great that we have one challenge at the year end for all competitors for the current competitive year.

During the even months you could plug away at this.

The format would be anything you want "free for all" any footage shot by you in the last competitive year. but no more than 3 minutes.

Only a deadline date of February 28th

This would give all competitors opportunity to show their best work, no time frame pressures (not all people perform their best under pressure) and some of their best footage!!!

I believe we would see some totattly fantastic clips of the highest order!!!

this also opens up the door for those whose passion may not have been hit during the year to dis[play what they love.

As an example: Migration is here and it is a total specticle, a time of year i live to be part of. I shoot hours of this every year. By the next uwol migration footage will be unavailable for uwol. It would be fun for me to actually use this footage and share it with the uwol crew. something like the aforementioned would be a great asset to the yearly process.

what do y'all think???
Old September 21st, 2007, 01:04 PM   #2
Major Player

I think that's a wonderful idea, Dale, but I would add another feature. Since some of us are completely professionals at this, and others are amateurs, it would only be fair to split the competition some how. As an example, Videomaker Magazine factors the equipment used, and its price, into its formula to determine winners in its contests.
The only other thing...I would hate to be the judge!
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 02:51 PM   #3
Major Player

I like that idea Dale.

Or how about there is just no judge? What about its a free-for-all-full-of-fun?
The reward being that you are able to show other people your passion, and getting feedback from others?

Just a random thought.
~Gabriel
Old September 21st, 2007, 03:54 PM   #4
Wrangler

i don't like to rain on anyone's parade, but i really think that what dale is describing is exactly what the original Under Water, Over Land forum is for (the forum from which this contest borrowed its name)...for people to post footage of whatever outdoor scene they see, at any moment in time when they see it, and following whatever event they want. nobody needs a contest to post footage of whatever they love.

contests without consistent rules and without a specific focus or context fail. we've seen this happen a number of times where well-intentioned individuals try to start up side contests without them. they never work.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Major Player

There's also the Show Your Work forum here on the site. It's for (as far as I understand) exactly what Gabriel seems to be asking for.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey Dale,
I guess I'll try to turn this discussion into your comment thread. Your post was late, but worth the wait. I know from experience how hard it is to get close to Pronghorns. The reason they have big white butts is to give photographers something to shoot as they run off. Excellent footage. That scene with the wolf and the dust flying, too. Just like PBS. I wish you had stayed with the wolf, however, instead of the lone Pronghorn. The music was effective, and added depth. Was that a bittern calling over the credits?
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge