UWOL #5 "2 minutes 2 sunrise" by Markus Nord - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 28th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Happel View Post
Hi Markus,

I can't say much that hasn't been said. I agree with the positives and negatives. But to focus on the good, I really like the use of natural sound. And I also really liked the ending, with excellent composition and a wonderful capture of the magic dawn light. To fit with the mammals theme, it would be better to focus on the deer. Maybe the same film with half the length, so the deer could be a major focus, without any single shot of them too long in the video. Less can be more. But great job, some very evocative shots, and I like your concept of the world just before sunrise. Was it just me, or was minute spelled munites in the title?

Ruth

Thanks for watching. Well, about my spelling… I always need at spelling program (I’m dyslexic), so some time I do spell wrong… Like now, I write all my answers in word first and then I copy to the forum.
About my film… Because I don’t got any more different shots on deer then what you se, a shorter film with the deer in “focus” would be a really short film. That’s way I put in the dawn parts to make it a film. In a way, the deer a just there so the film would fit in the “mammal theme”, but in a way the film are really about dawn…
Anyway… thanks for you word… next time I’ll put in some more time and effort.
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #17
Trustee

Hi Markus.
It's weekend. I've quit my old job and it's uwol movie time and Yes, the popcorn is in the bowl :)

I think you've made a beautiful film with this one, and I'm thinking of your opening and ending scene. The natural sound gives it a calm and relaxed feeling. The suddenly appearance of piano at the end was neat :)
Your editing skills are good but in this short I think you're in lack of a good story or maybe opportunity to make one?
I know you're a waterguy, but still I would like to see more mammals and maybe some narration or bird sound when the flock of goose heading south?
The haze over water was stunning and so is the opening where we get a glimpse of the lighthouse far out.

Best wishes.
Geir Inge
Old October 1st, 2007, 09:06 AM   #18
Major Player

Markus this was nice. Sunrise is always a magical time. With your shots of migrating geese I would have liked to have been able to hear them. Your tighter shot of the deer, which I assume you did digitally, made it a little to grainy for me.

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:39 AM   #19
Major Player

Geir Inge: Thanks man… I didn’t have enough time to write and record a VO. But the story I tried to tell was what happens the last to minutes before the sun rise over the horizon. I wish I hade some close ups on the deer feeding to blend with the wide shots, but what’s done is done. About a natural sound from the geese maybe tough cause that was Cormorant Phalacrocorax carbo flying pass out to feeding grounds, and they don’t make mouth sound when they fly. But, I thing that it would have fitted the scene and the film better with geese (with natural sound) immigrating south.

Gordon: Hi Gordon, the tight shot of the deer are not digital enhance, it is just too little light and I needed to go up to 18dB gain and that makes it grainy.

Thanks al for you feedback, it is a learning process and you develop your skill every time you finish a production. I hope the next theme will fit me better (or I just got more time).

Markus Nord
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Marcus,

first, your could not have picked a harder time to shoot video. the noise is the biggest issue of course. impossible to beat for themost part.

I loved the end footage!!! Shows what you can do with a little more light!!! A thought would be to shoot in better light then darken in in post.

Great effort for a difficult shoot!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge