GIBB_UC5_rejectedscenes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old October 8th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #1
Trustee

GIBB_UC5_rejectedscenes

Hi all you great uwolers :)
I intend to post some of my rejected clips from my uwol#5 movie.
Just a thought I had that maybe it's not only me struggling getting those clips/scenes to fit together, working with unstable tripod, rain on the lens, etc, etc. As my internet connection is down at moment I will not get my file uploaded to my server before Wednesday or Thursday. This is just to let you know and maybe some of you will do the same? If you aint got a server, maybe YouTube can be used, and just put a link to your file?
I've learned a lot from your films, but maybe we can learn something from our mistakes too? And then we've got something to do (if you got some sparetime) before Meryem give us the topic for the great uwol 2007 finale :)
I'm working 12 hours a day, sleep 6 hours, so I've got 6 hours free to do something useful :-/
I will post my file in the way you see the headline of this tread.
I know it's a matter of practice, but I envy many of you the way you handle your cameras and your editing skills.
I never get those tilting scenes steady enough, I never get those pans to fit, always way too long :( and what about cutaways? How many? What to use for cutaways and so forth. AND why do I always forget to check my lens for dust and rain drops?
OK, go ahead folks and make your own rejected files, I dont wanna be alone to show all my failures :)

All the best
Geir Inge
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Oh man .do I have a ton of rejected clips.Will try get some posted this weekend.great idea.
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Geir,

Do not know if I can find time but I will give it a try if time can be drummed up.
I am on a fundementally new job to but now I have to comute on top of it!! June I retire however, so the end is in site. no excuse then for less than the best, eh?
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #4
Wrangler

where's the clips, geir?? i watched per's and they were quite amusing. give us a laugh!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #5
Trustee

He's mentioned a very slow internet connection and on top of that he is also working some pretty long hours.

He knows a lot of us are waiting to see 'em so he's not sitting on it.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #6
Major Player

Geir,

I'm looking forward to your rejects. As you say, I think sometimes you can learn a lot from mistakes, so it is a great idea.

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #7
Wrangler

oh, i know he's not sitting on 'em...i just got such a laugh out of per's outtakes that i wanted to see what geir was cooking up....
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #8
Trustee

Oh, what a joy, got my new internet modem today.
From 1 kb/s uploading to 70 kb/s - now I love internet again.

Thank you for waiting for me to load up my rejected files. I can see I’ve already got some comments :) also my new job is giving me some long nights and even into the day. 10 to 14 hours a day, some sleep and then back to work.

Download 45.5 mb (QT only): GIBB_UC5_rejected_scenes

My intention for uwol5 was to make a film of the Viking sheep at a farm and then move out to a tiny island where they live as wild. These clips are filmed to fit my original plan, but weather put and end to this. It’s hard to dock the island in bad weather.

I can’t match Per Johan’s rejected but I’ve tried to show how hard it can be making narration in the field and I do love cars :) Rain on my lens and some cutaways.
The ship and the wreck I wanted to use when I tell about “The inaccessibility of the region itself prevented import of other breeds”.
What about the heron? It just so happened one day it sat in my garden and I thought maybe I can use it for a cutaway.
The last clip where the sheep runs towards the camera I couldn’t use because of some cranes, you can see behind. I thought it would ruin the film, but I didn’t notice when I filmed the sheep.
And as you can see in some clips my face fit to all kinds of contrasts, from pale to dark shadowed.

Have a nice baaaa this weekend and remember; Handheld camera is no good for baa :)

Geir Inge

Last edited by Geir Inge; October 12th, 2007 at 10:33 AM.
Geir Inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #9
Major Player

Geir,

That was great- thanks so much for sharing. We even got to hear foreign naughty words- a real education :) I know in recording audio how frustrating traffic can be, so appreciate the sentiments!

You did a great job putting together these bloopers, as good as your real video. And the sheep got in their own last "words". Really fun to watch, thanks so much!

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #10
Trustee

Geir, I think I enjoyed your rejected scenes as much for the spectacular scenics shown as much as the humor...

...And the unexpected language lesson.

Glad you explained what that meant so we understand it's rather mild compared to what some say.

you can say that without spoiling your image.

Your fjords are magnificent to say the least, the boat rolling in the waves caught my eye and caused me to replay that. And how long has the wreckage of the boat on the rocks been there?
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #11
Trustee

Thank you Ruth and Bruce.

I'm at work and using a computer in the factory

First to my language.
Well it's a very, very mild and local form of bad language.
Young persons don't use it anymore, but my father does and my grandfather did. I translated it to "I'll be d", but I think the English version is a bit stronger way of expression :) Sometimes I do forget that the camera is rolling.

Where I filmed my narrations in front of the white house there's a road passing by and every 15 min there are cars passing to and from the ferry station.

My film about the sheep have scenes from 3 different islands in our commune.
I had two days I traveled by ferry to these islands, just the last one with the wild sheep I couldn't reach.
The fishingboat is shot on the same island as the wreck, and I'm not sure but I think it's been there for over 50 years. The one with the fjord behind me is not far from where I live.
Old October 13th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #12
Wrangler

it's very interesting to see how a small detail, like a bit of wind or a raindrop, can kill what otherwise would have been a really terrific shot--the boat on the stormy seas could have been a stunner without the camera shake.

it's also interesting to get a behind-the-scenes glimpse at how tough the on-site VO is--when you make it look so easy, geir.
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Geir, thanks for sharing. It was fun to watch it.

Oh, and don't worry, you are not the only one saying such "nice" things when things go wrong, haha.

Amazing how the details can make the difference between perfect, and rejected scenes.

But, shouldn't your tripod be used to the strong wind you guys have up there northwest by now? Tell it to get ready for the winter storms.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #14
Major Player

Hi Geir,

It really is a lot of fun watching these rejected scenes. I can understand the frustration of the car going past the farm "deep in one of the fjords" - it certainly would have brought out a prayer or two in me also.

It really is a rugged area where you live - with absolutely beautiful scenery & colours (undergrowth in Heron shot especially).

They reckon you get about 4 minutes out of every hour of footage - what do you think?

Thanks Geir - a lot of fun and a reminder of the efforts that go into these films.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #15
Trustee

Thank you Meryem, Trond and David.

I think my tripod is a good one, but not as good as Per Johan's though.
And I don't use any extra weight on it. I always try to find some rocks or similar to hide behind against the wind, this time there wasn't any. For the scene where the fishingboat is passing, I'm very sad that I didn't get a steady clip.

For my uwol5 video I had a lot of different light contitions to "fight" against together with heavy wind at times and it's my uwol film I've done most correction in editing prosess.

David I guess you mean the "shooting ratio" when you say 4min out of 60 ? Though DVtapes are very cheap to bye these days (I never use a tape more then once, always bye new ones) and I try to keep my shooting ratio at a minimum. For me it has to do with planning my project and what to shoot, search/try out the location to find suitable places and so forth. Let's say you want to make a 30 min movie and shoot five 60 min dvtapes, you will get a shooting ratio of 10:1.
If you lower your shooting ratio in the way of planning, difficulty of topic and search your locations, I guess you can make more then 4 min out of one 60 min tape. Shooting wildlife videos also have to do with luck I think, you can not plan how, when and where the animals will act :) And of caurse it also has to do with the scenes, many similar scenes after another will look dull, at least thats my opinion. In my sheep movie I tried to avoid this by using different cutaways, theres no great action between tamed sheeps, just eating and saying baaa :)
The editing prosess will be easier with a low SR if you got the right clips on your tape. For uwol I have used from 1 to 4 tapes, and I keep my tapes in systematic order, marked and with a nr. I also use a formula/scheme for every tape. 2 years from now I will not remember whats on each tape so it is better to have the content in cardfiles.

Geir Inge

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge