UWOL #6 Theme Announcement...Take Your Best Shot! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 1st, 2007, 11:28 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Night? I like it. How did you know that I'd just bought a new telescope? Now I've got to hope for some clear skies...
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:31 AM   #17
Trustee

Thanks Brian.... You stole my idea! Shoot with the lens cap on! Okay Meryem! Like you said, this was a great way to piss people off all over the world ;-). Now, Does Planete have enough funds for bail money for all of us who will get arrested for being out all hours of the night looking very suspicious harboring a camera? Ha! This IS challenging!

Cato
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:35 AM   #18
Wrangler

no, cat, i can't afford to spring you from the slammer, but if you call me while the rangers are handcuffing you and bagging your gear as evidence, i will be happy to swing by and shoot that scene for my own entry, that would be great!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 12:36 PM   #19
Major Player

Meryem if you can't count on a friend to compliment you than who can you count on :)

I just received word that there are some Walrus on one of the near by islands. I'll get some footage for sure but there is no chance in this world that I will go near those monsters in low light. Actually I'll shoot with a 400mm lens just to be damn sure.

I have a few ideas churning in my few remaining brain cells (left overs from the sixties) so I'm hoping to get me a free T-shirt.

Good luck everyone.

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 02:29 PM   #20
Trustee

Night, well, I guess each day has one. I mean it's not like you got to go get in the car and drive off somewhere looking for night. Also, you don't have to worry about breeding time of night, migration period of night, feeding habits etc. Night is pretty easy to find, just go outside any time between day and day, and there is night....right?
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 04:41 PM   #21
Trustee

Well Bob, you have a point! Night is pretty easy to find, but to make it interesting.... you know, that's tough... how to brighten up night just a bit?

Meryem! You are hard core! If I get arrested and you catch it on film, I at LEAST should get a free t-shirt out of it! ;-).

Cat
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:01 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Mereym,

Well, that one catches me by surprise!!! Especially sense dv is never that nice light starved!!

It will be great to see what people actually come up with and then hearing how they did it. Should make all better for it.
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:14 PM   #23
Major Player

Norway and Canada contingents:
When you shoot the Aurora, please do some of it in real time. I have always wondered if the stuff you see on TV is sped up or not.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:17 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siegel View Post
Norway and Canada contingents:
When you shoot the Aurora, please do some of it in real time. I have always wondered if the stuff you see on TV is sped up or not.
Will do if I get a chance.
From personal experience, I can say that the Aurora can change shape and strenght of the light pretty quick, as I also have seen on tv.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:29 PM   #25
Trustee

Yeah the northern lights would rock indeed, I'm sure some of you Aurora residents will take up that challenge, its fascinating and I've always been intrigued by the the radio interferance type sound effects that always seem to accompany it on TV.....where does that come from!?
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 07:14 PM   #26
Trustee

"Night", thats a clever one Meryem :)
I wish we had this theme in summertime though, with our midnightsun running, hehehe...

About Aurora Mat, there are no sound from it. In fact it's silent as in a grave, though I never been in one, yet :)
It can run fast and slow and at our place mostly green of color, but sometimes it's changing from bright yellow, green to red. Very beautiful and the sky has to be clear of caurse. We had some of it 5 days ago as I was on my way to work, and it's almost no wind when it appears on the sky.
It covers the whole skyline and brightens up the mountains and sea. When the mountains is covered with snow this is a sight for your eyes and soul.

Back to the theme:
Got an idea I will try out, but there is no Aurora in it, as for now.
Though I'm working night time still I'll have to use the weekend for my shooting. Of caurse Meryem; if you will let me film salmon inside factory at night time it would make it easier for me? (just kidding).
I guess "easy" was not in your mind when you figure out the finale theme of 2007. In fact I can imaging you sitting at your place in Boulder happily smiling about the challenge you've given us :)
You're the greatest Meryem.

Wish you all good luck and to all the new uwolers: Have fun!

Regards
Geir Inge
Old November 1st, 2007, 07:48 PM   #27
Trustee

Hei Geir:

Hanging in there with your new job? Thanks for all the info on the aurora. Many years ago, I was working in Alaska flying balloons at night for NOAA. I went out to start up yet another weather balloon and saw an aurora for the first time. It changed very quickly and I was a bit overwhelmed. I felt very small and alone and it was so vast! Yet people who lived there said that one was a small hardly noticeable one! It took my breath away. I have a meteorology book that has an amazing photo in it of an aurora australis taken by space shuttle astronauts. Taken from outer space, it stretches the entire Southern Hemisphere from Antarctica to Australia. It's an amazing photograph!

All the best to all this challenge. This one is a tough one! Don't envy any newcomers jumping in for the first time!

Chow,

Cat
Old November 1st, 2007, 09:22 PM   #28
Wrangler

you're all making me nostalgic. when i was but a pup, i spent summers in canada, and i only saw the northern lights once, but it was fantastic, not like geir described, all i ever saw was gold lights, but the way that they shimmered across the sky, growing and expanding, was unforgettable. like a living god.

i didn't even think about the aurora when i considered the theme, but that would be entirely amazing if someone managed to put up an aurora entry. what's so fun about this whole endeavor is seeing how many different and unique--and beautiful--interpretations we get from the themes. i'm fully confident that when the surprise settles and you all get to work, that this Challenge will be no exception!

it's definitely a tough round for first-timers, but if you can nail down an entry in this round, the rest of them will seem easy....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 03:11 AM   #29
Trustee

Well you're right Meryem,
I was already nervous about this being my first attempt, now i'm shellshocked! I was only just starting to get a bit of a handle on my new camera. Now i'm back to square one. Luckily it sounds like most others are in the same boat there! Now if only i can settle on an idea. I guess that will be my first lesson, "how to pick you story" Ok, i'd better go & lie down so i can think more clearly. Well atleast that seams to work when i'm desperatly trying to get to sleep. :)

Bryce
Bryce Comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:19 AM   #30
Major Player

I just realized something. I was thinking the theme was interesting and figured the best time to shoot would of course be with a full moon.
Then I looked at a calendar with the dates--
2007 Oct 26 04:53 Fri
2007 Nov 24 14:31 Sat

We've missed October and the contest ends before November.

In other words, it's likely that everyone will be shooting with no moon at all, if they choose sometime in the middle of the contest, like next week.

Nov 9 23:03 will be a new moon.

That's disappointing.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge