UWOL #6 Theme Announcement...Take Your Best Shot! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 2nd, 2007, 06:50 AM   #31
Wrangler

we don't call it a Challenge for nothing, Daniel...

once the announcement is complete, we generally move the conversation over to this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=107047

anyone who is struggling with the theme might want to jump over there, because i think that is where the tips and tricks are most likely to appear.

per johan has already nailed it with an astute observation--it's unlikely that you will be able to complete the Challenge without figuring out an original and creative external light source. it can be natural, it can be man-made.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 06:54 AM   #32
Major Player

I find this unrelated to working out the details and perfectly tied into the announcement, which is tied into the timeframe. This isn't something we can work around, nor find a solution for. It's simply a fact, a hindrance.
And, yes, it is a challenge.
As for what to do about it, we can certainly discuss lighting in the other thread.
I felt it was worth noting that we have no chance of using the moon, though, as that could be a very good option, at least as a base. Especially in that it gives some source for light, even if the rest was artificial; it gives a natural feel to the light, rather than no moon in the sky and for some odd reason animals you can see ;)
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 07:01 AM   #33
Wrangler

actually, i pointed it out partly to steer newcomers in the direction of the next step and partly because i thought some of the other players, new and old, could benefit from this info...the sooner we help each other figure out what to use for light sources, the better off the entire group will be.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 07:26 AM   #34
Wrangler

Wishing now that I had signed up, Meryem. The 64 frame accumulation mode on the F350 is perfectly suited to this. Combined with the interval recording mode, it makes for some awesome late night time lapses.

Good luck to everyone!

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:01 AM   #35
Wrangler

hey greg, i've certainly begged enough favors off you during the development of this contest for you to be considered an honorary participant. if you want to post a non-compete entry, i would really love to see what your camera can do in these conditions, especially because i have a jones for the EX version...i'd love to have something that small with that kind of flexibility and awesome feature set. will the EX have that same 64-frame accumulation mode, do you know?
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:14 AM   #36
Trustee

I live in a place that comes alive at night. Disney has fireworks every night. The castle lights up as does the world at Epcot. And Universal has lights and fireworks.

I will just have music issues since I am not allowed to use the background music that the camera captures. But, I am sure there is an inexpensive 1812 Overture out there someplace. Or, something like it.

Or, perhaps we will get a nice lightning storm!!!

Night? No problem (I hope).
Old November 4th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #37
Major Player

Ok, time for one more clarification.

Can we include let's say less than 10% footage NOT during the night? My immediate thought was including a sunset or sunrise, or perhaps the animals going to sleep, etc.

Open with the sunset, close with the sunrise? And have most of the footage/clip at night? Would that be acceptable?

I'm still planning ideas, and I'd guess other people may take this idea and run with it (go for it), so good to know either way.

If this is again in the wrong spot, sorry. I thought it was more appropriate than in the discussion/how-to thread. Move the post or direct me there if you'd prefer.
Old November 4th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ross View Post
Ok, time for one more clarification.

Can we include let's say less than 10% footage NOT during the night? My immediate thought was including a sunset or sunrise, or perhaps the animals going to sleep, etc.

Open with the sunset, close with the sunrise? And have most of the footage/clip at night? Would that be acceptable?

I'm still planning ideas, and I'd guess other people may take this idea and run with it (go for it), so good to know either way.

If this is again in the wrong spot, sorry. I thought it was more appropriate than in the discussion/how-to thread. Move the post or direct me there if you'd prefer.
I hope it's acceptable, i was thinking the same thing!
Bryce Comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #39
Trustee

As far as I know there's no "rule" that says so much of the film has to pertain to the theme.

I don't think there would be any problem in "setting the stage" like that.

Meryem gave her definition of what night was. How you work your film to interpret that is up to you.
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #40
Major Player

Ok, thanks, guys. Sounds like a relaxed interpretive approach. Fun. My idea may work after all.
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #41
Trustee

Guys.....you can include whatever you like! You will just do better with the judging if you stay 'on topic'. That said from what your saying I'd say it sounds absolutely fine and unless its all sunset/sunrise footage then you have no problems what so ever.

But remember you really can make this whatever you want within the rules laid down on the website http://www.uwolchallenge.com/contestrules.htm

edit : And what Kevin said :-) !
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #42
Wrangler

ditto what mat and kevin already said! i'm going to go so far to say that, although "the majority" or "the bulk" or at least "some" of your film should be shot at night, it's also fine to incorporate other imagery. for instance, in my MAMMALS video, i had dragonflies and other scenics that were part of the setting for the mammals (prairie dogs and buffalo), but "the bulk" of the footage was directly related to the theme. keep it recognizable, if you can. and if you can't post it anyway, because of RULE #11, HAVE FUN.

and remember, there are ways to deal with the theme, in a nature and outdoorsy way, that require no night shots whatsoever. maybe you are doing a doc on interviewing people for their memories of being afraid of the dark. ok, so that's a lame example, but you get what i mean. just because NIGHT is the theme, does not even mean that you have to shoot at night, in an absolute sense. you are approaching the theme, it is a vehicle for your creativity, and every time we post a theme, part of the fun is seeing what interesting ways people approach it! the "wow-i-never-thought-of-it-that-way" factor is a big part of Rule #11....
Old November 9th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #43
Trustee

Wow Meryem:

It's all of what you just posted is why UWOL is so popular and #11 FUN! UWOL is an inspiration for creativity and becoming a cyclical way of life (for a couple of years or so) ....

We have got to plan a reunion somewhere in the world after 3 years of this!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
We have got to plan a reunion somewhere in the world after 3 years of this!
Cat
Oh noooo, do we have to wait until after 3 years??? haha
But yes, whenever it happens, I am really looking forward to it.
Hope most of us will have a chance to travel to wherever we deside to go.
I have already some plans if we end up with Norway.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #45
Wrangler

oh we are traveling all right, we are most definitely traveling!

future plans...the UWOL World Tour

and (Kevin's idea)

a meet-up at the Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival in 2009....

we have a bit of work just preparing for next year's rounds, but travel ideas are definitely on our radar screen....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge