Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #6 - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 14th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #136
Major Player

Hi Bryce,
I really feel for you missing out on the Boobook Owl - that would have been a great shot. However, it sounds like the possums have helped us both.
I had my father up on the roof with me tonight and we sat there for hours - with not a hint of a possum! So I have decided to give it one last chance tomorrow night before I also head up to Queensland on Friday for the weekend. I've decided to head back Sunday night, so I might also have one last night before the upload.
I am looking forward to seeing your possum shots. Mine are a bit too grainy as I had the gain set a bit too high. I now have 10m of component cable coming out the back of my camera, then in the bedroom window, then straight into the high def 42 inch TV on the wall. With this setup, I can adjust the controls on the camera and my wife shouts out when it is the sharpest picture - for the available light. Now I just need that possum to come back!
Good luck to you with your entry and have a wonderful weekend with your family.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #137
Wrangler

nice work, chris....our first player to complete all six UWOL films this year. that's a great achievement.

you'll have to settle for a pat on the back, for the moment, chris, our t-shirts are a work-in-progress, but you'll get yours...meanwhile, shoot me an e-mail with your mailing address, and i'll fire up a mailing list for our Year One Hall-of-Fame players!

and nice work in staying out of the tank, david. it ain't over until it's over!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #138
Trustee

Even if I stay up every night, I have not got very much useful shots on tape yet. My first idea was to film an old Norwegian folk legend, called "Draugen". All was set but sorry, the weather stopped me from doing the required scenes, not just my planned scenes by the seaside but also in the sea (read; wet suit). The story should be well suited for a theme like "Night", but I guess I can use it on some other occasion later in the uwol process. If I'm right I think Meryem will host up some great themes in the future too :)
So now I'm playing around with another idea that involves salmon. I did my first shot last night onboard a ship and will be shooting some more scenes tonight. Friday and Saturday I will be in Oslo for a meeting so that leaves me with Sunday and Monday to edit and finish my contribution. You may ask; Why salmon? Well, I'm not very much into sharks ;)
One thing I'm looking forward to is to meet Per Johan and Trond, Friday evening in Oslo.

Per Johan/Trond:
Showroom is booked to 8pm.

OK, by for now.
Geir Inge
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #139
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
nice work, chris....our first player to complete all six UWOL films this year. that's a great achievement.

you'll have to settle for a pat on the back, for the moment, chris, our t-shirts are a work-in-progress, but you'll get yours...meanwhile, shoot me an e-mail with your mailing address, and i'll fire up a mailing list for our Year One Hall-of-Fame players!

and nice work in staying out of the tank, david. it ain't over until it's over!
Meryem:

Thank you for the pat on the back.... and the work you put into making this Challenge a reality.... Will send address by email.... Had a lot of fun this first year, not having had a lick of experience with nature videography, I can say it was truly a very educational experience for me-- and a very positive support system from all here.
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #140
Major Player

Night is too dark

Well, here I go again. Got my shot lined up for this week end and my A1U crashed again. This time the video. Vertical purple and black lines in display and recored video Maybe they will not show up in the dark. So I'm out of the fun again. Wonder how may weeks It will take Sony this time?

Time to Chistmas shop for a FX7 or V1U (I wish).

I look forward to viewing your entries.

Maybe next time.
Old November 14th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #141
Wrangler

dagnabbit--i jumped the gun! sorry, chris, upon further review, the first free t-shirt was already won by bruce "quick-draw" foreman! congratulations, quick-draw, no one can out-gun you in the speed-video category.

congrats, bruce. feel free to stick your tongue out at chris and give him the ol' "nyah-nyah"....

...and enjoy the bragging rights!

just a friendly ribbing, chris. anyone who finishes six of these a year is a total rock star!

the t-shirt contender list redux...

Geir Inge
Gordon Hoffman
Brian Mckay
Mat Thompson
Bruce Foreman
Chris Barcellos
Per Johan
Ruth Happel
Dale Guthormsen

who will survive this NIGHT Challenge, mwhahahaha....

and Victor, my friend, we need to pass the hat and get you a camera!
Old November 14th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #142
Inner Circle

Bruce: I thought I had you beat man..... That was just like my fantasy football this week, the league was misreporting my score, and I thought I won.....

Well, Bruce is on a roll, what can we say......congrats.
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #143
Trustee

This is the most challenging and exiting of all 6 uwol for me.
I'm not sure yet if I'll manage to deliver my contribution. This night I had a deal to film onboard a boat, but it will not arrive before daytime.
Just trying to twist my brain for some "in a hurry" ideas so that I can be one of the few lucky ones to carry one of those uwol T-shirt.
Still some days left before deadline, so where there's life - there's hope I guess.
I've got about 30 min on tape, but none of the scenes seems to fit together, hmm...

Geir Inge
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #144
Trustee

Quote:

congrats, bruce. feel free to stick your tongue out at chris and give him the ol' "nyah-nyah"....
Can't do that. I may need to ask him for more help on the HV20.

Quote:

just a friendly ribbing, chris. anyone who finishes six of these a year is a total rock star!
More like "persistent old cuss" or something like that.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #145
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Bruce: I thought I had you beat man..... That was just like my fantasy football this week, the league was misreporting my score, and I thought I won.....
Does that mean there's a tee shirt for this too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post

Well, Bruce is on a roll, what can we say......congrats.
You might ought to wait till you see the film before you talk about me being on a roll...Well...

...We almost got rolled around by Ma Nature the night we set up with lights and all to shoot the film. One bodacious cold front blew in and the winds kept blowing equipment over and you can hear the metal roof on a canopy nearby sounding like it's going to come apart.

I actually lost a light that night, reflector crumpled and mangled, socket came apart (we wrapped it in tape to continue using it) and the only parts that survived were the light stand and the bulb.

But the fun we had was worth it.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #146
New Boot

I managed to get Plan C finished and uploaded. Almost bailed but I figured since I signed up I'd get something done... It's certainly not good, I only had today to work on it at all so it's not CC'd or worked at all and grainy as hell since I had to shoot it all at high gain. Waited till 1/2 hour after sunset but it still looks light in a couple shots.
Chris Eugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #147
Wrangler

nice work, chris, this was a tough one for sure, and it seems to be knocking even experienced shooters flat on their backs...kinda makes you appreciate that big yellow ball in the sky and our hopeless addiction to it...

don't worry, the next theme will be a cream puff...after looking around at all of all of the flattened bodies littering the field this round.

it's a Challenge, all right!
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #148
New Boot

I have a huge ski trip at the end of March... Hint hint...
Chris Eugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #149
Trustee

So far I have a lot of really great footage of pure blackness!!! Argh, this is hard when it's pitch black at night and you don't want snowy, grainy footage of dirt. Some of what I am hoping to shoot would eat or attack me if I don't see it first, tee hee....
Old November 16th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #150
Trustee

yea - plenty of pure blackness. I'll throw a few seconds up tonight - it doesn't look funny but it made me laugh

I'm off to try for some moon on the water tonight and if that fails I'll be enticing possums out of the trees with fruit.

not giving up yet

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge