Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #6 - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 12th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #121
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
oh my gosh, you ran out of batteries, markus?? that's never happened to me!

i've never ever ever:

forgot the tripod plate
thought i was pushing "stop" when i was pushing "start" or vice-versa
run out of batteries
forgot the batteries altogether
brought the wrong batteries
run out of fuses for my light kit

fortunately, none of these things ever happen to me, and every shoot is a fabulous success, entirely free of stupid moves...

hm, i must be talking about some OTHER video producer!
The thing is that I started the dive and it takes about 1 hour to prepare for the dive with everything and my dive buddy was in the water and during a shot for a Pipefish the battery runs out in the UW monitor. So now I got 1 hour dive without know what I'm filming or abort the dive and head home after 5 minutes in the water... I ended up filming without a clue of what I was filming and of course, every shot came out like crap!

During my time in Thailand I did everything except flooding my camera. I can tell you that, if you start the dive and swim quickly down to 30 m (about 100 feet), just to get as much time as possible at that depth and turn you camera on, and you realize that you forgot to change the battery or turn the camera on in side the housing (in may old housing I needed to turn the camera on before closing the housing) you get really upset. Because you know that you got 5-10 paying costumer in the water that want that film and you need to get up to the dive boat, turn the camera on and then back in the water and hunt the group up again to get the shots… that aren’t fun!

I have forgot stuff a couple time but as log as you are in land that ok, but when your in water you really feel like crap (-“do I need to take al my F*****G gear of just for a battery?”). I guess that’s probably the same thing if you are high up in a mountain or deep in a forest…

Anyway, next time I hope I won’t forget the battery…
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #122
Trustee

On my way to work this night (12pm) I must cross a mountain and suddenly a bird flew right infront of my car to a tree close to the road. It was an owl. I stopped and grabbed my camera trying to get some "night owl" on tape. But it flew away before I even got to get the camera out of my car. Now I'm heading for the harbour in a little fishing village (Fosnavaag) where I'm stationed. Not far from the island of Puffins, Runde.

Geir Inge
Old November 12th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #123
Major Player

Who stole the moon?

Last Sunday the clouds scattered a little. So I went to the coast in the evening. But it was completely black, there was no moon. I thought about going on a boat with the fishermen but I easily get seasick, not a good idea.
Yesterday the sky was almost completely blue so after work I went up to the roof of my building. I could see a few stars but no moon. I looked in every direction but she was not there.
I don't think the moon can disappear like that. So I am asking:

WHO STOLE THE MOON?
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #124
Trustee

It's there. I shot it setting tonight. It set soon after sunset though so you have to be quick.
Old November 13th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #125
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Durin View Post
WHO STOLE THE MOON?
The moon has been hiding behind the sun recently :-)
But these days it will be more and more visible, as it's new moon (or what you call it!?).
By the end of this week it has grown to half, deadline for this Challenge is not before monday, hint, hint...
Old November 13th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #126
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje View Post
By the end of this week it has grown to half, deadline for this Challenge is not before monday, hint, hint...
Yes but the clouds will be back by Thursday. And the night falls when I am still at work. I don't think I will catch her in time.

When I think I wanted to do this challenge to shoot in the mountains or by the sea. Well, scrap this and that!
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #127
Major Player

Hey, I just saw her when waiting for the bus after work. Mmmmh, maybe I will bring the camera with me tomorrow...
Old November 13th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #128
Wrangler

don't forget, NIGHT can still be shot before sun-up and after sun-down--there's still a lot of light during those times, for those of you just learning. in fact, you can get a lot of light in the camera and makes some really unique and beautiful images. think of it as late (or early) magic hour and see what you can do with dramatic blacks, blues, purples, silhouetting, etc.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #129
Major Player

Can't believe I've actually got an entry in the editing software!
The frog idea failed miserably however, my wife saw a possum in the trees next door yesterday, whilst hanging out the washing. This led to a lengthy stint sitting on our roof last night (with torches and a camping gas light). I hate to think what the neighbours are thinking. All I see is the neighbours curtains slowly closing as I look around.
I need a couple of final shots tonight to finish it off - but very pleased with what I have.
Gee, the UWOL thing is making me do things I didn't think I would ever contemplate. Think I might chap a few doors tonight and try and explain what the hell I am up to.
Hope all your plans are working out.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #130
Inner Circle

Hey Meryem,

Send me a tee shirt... just uploaded...:)
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #131
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gemmell View Post
I hate to think what the neighbours are thinking. All I see is the neighbours curtains slowly closing as I look around.
Hi, hi, welcome into the club David ;-)

Chris, congrats to you, I think you are the first which has going through all six rounds! Can't wait to view yours and the other entries... ...mine is half to finish shooting, so I have a lot of work to do left.
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #132
Inner Circle

With all I hear you guys are talking about doing here, I'm sure some great stuff is to come. I wish I had more time for this, but some other things have come up so I had to wrap early !
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #133
Inner Circle

I have the first version completed now.
Still feel "something" is missing, so I might try to add something later.
I always end up making several changes/different versions of the video before I am happy with the result.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:00 AM   #134
Trustee

Hi Trond,
I might be able to show you a sample of my version when we meet in Oslo Friday, stay tuned....
Looking forward to our meeting!
Old November 14th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #135
Trustee

Hey David,
That's great to hear you got some footage of some possums, i too have some possum footage to work with. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I went out tonight, & just missed getting some footage of a Boobook owl. Just got the camera set up & hit record as it flew away. BUMMER!! That was what i have been trying for all this time, so close, & yet so far! Oh well, i have one more night of shooting, then i have to get something together. I am heading up to Brisbane on the weekend for my daughters 18th birthday so won't be editing anything over that time. Might just have time monday night to put any finishing touch's to my entry before uploading.

Best of luck to all,

Bryce
Bryce Comer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge