DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL Sub-contest: Need a t-shirt slogan! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/107768-uwol-sub-contest-need-t-shirt-slogan.html)

Benjamin Durin November 17th, 2007 09:59 AM

In French: notre monde, votre vision

In traditional Chinese: 我們的世界 你的觀點

And I like the idea of all the languages.

Meryem Ersoz November 17th, 2007 11:18 AM

yes, exactly what kevin said...i want it in all the languages together, English included....to showcase our international reach.

thanks for the translations, keep em coming!

Meryem Ersoz November 17th, 2007 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Nord (Post 777024)
Maybe the slogan could be "UWOL-cheaper than Planet Earth DVD box"

very funny--and how very true! i just purchased this Planet Earth DVD box for a friend's birthday. cost me 60 bucks. i should have just sent her a link to our website.

Geir Inge November 17th, 2007 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In Norwegian (2 names for world):
1) Vaar verden - din visjon
2) Vaar jord - din visjon

I like it better in the English version because whats right in one language ain't necessarily right in another language.

Here's a jpg file with norwegian letters:

Meryem Ersoz November 17th, 2007 12:31 PM

that is interesting...what is the difference in the shades of meaning between "verden" and "jord"?

Geir Inge November 17th, 2007 12:36 PM

World you can put to different meanings like; the whole world, or the room/comunity you're in is your world etc, as the word "Jord" is our planet earth or the soil you're walking on.

Meryem Ersoz November 17th, 2007 12:50 PM

benjamin: when you say "traditional" chinese, is that mandarin? or something else?...your translations motivated me to look up a little info on language in Taiwan...i had no idea Taiwan was such a mash-up of different cultures and different languages. i'm speculating from your name, that you're not a native of taiwan...so what brought you there, what's your story?

UWOL "your lens on a global education"

Per Johan Naesje November 17th, 2007 01:05 PM

To be able to write our special character -å- on a non-norwegian keyboard type the following. Press the ALT + 0229.
At least this is the way on a PC-system, not sure about Mac.

Chris Hurd November 17th, 2007 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz (Post 776622)
we are going with "our world, your vision"

Brilliant... congratulations on a great slogan!

Meryem Ersoz November 17th, 2007 01:54 PM

gosh, thanks chris...i hope i can convert it into a groovy t-shirt!

now i just need that stubborn swede, markus, to cooperate with a swedish translation! markus, i promise i won't make you an un-cool t-shirt! it will be so damn cool, you will want to wear it every day of your life. your friends will say, "markus, where did you get that cool, groovy, outstanding t-shirt! i want one! now!"

so far, i have..(in no particular order, and we will bold-face the English version to keep our Norwegian and Swedish friends happy and hip....) now come on, won't this look cool listed on the back of a t-shirt with our UWOL logo?

Our World, Your Vision

Vår Verden, Din Visjon

Notre Monde, Votre Vision

我們的世界 你的觀點

now come on, won't this look cool listed on the back of a t-shirt with our UWOL logo? bring me more translations!

...still waiting on the swahili...where is that john dennis robertson?

Chris Barcellos November 17th, 2007 02:23 PM

got a English to Spanish Version from a free on line translator:

Nuestro Mundo, su Visión

Free Latin Tranlation:

Nostrum Mundus , Vestri Visum

or

Nostrum Universitas , Vestri Visum

Free Portuguese Translation:

Nosso Mundo, Sua Visão

Markus Nord November 17th, 2007 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz (Post 777148)
now i just need that stubborn swede, markus, to cooperate with a swedish translation! markus, i promise i won't make you an un-cool t-shirt! it will be so damn cool, you will want to wear it every day of your life. your friends will say, "markus, where did you get that cool, groovy, outstanding t-shirt! i want one! now!"

:D I'm not that stubborn... just a bit...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz (Post 777148)
so far, i have..(in no particular order, and we will bold-face the English version to keep our Norwegian and Swedish friends happy and hip....) now come on, won't this look cool listed on the back of a t-shirt with our UWOL logo?

I didn't get that you wanted to print al on the same T-shirt... That is a cool idea, you got my 100% support on this one!

This would be the translation to Swedish:

Vår värld - Din vision

If you want it as a pic, what type and size? in some way you should be able to type "ring" and "two dots" over A. In Illustrator (or any Adobe program) you can get the type window with all different letters.

Trond Saetre November 17th, 2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje (Post 777012)
Markus,
yes, I agree.
English is almost as common as our own language, must be because we are very small countries in population compared to US, England, France.
Number of inhabitants in Norway is 4.5 million, a medium city in US I think ;-)

Geir Inge, Trond and Vidar what do you think?

PS! I was thinking of you Vidar when we had our meeting yesterday. Next time you will be there right?

Yes, I agree too.
I don't mind having only English text on the t-shirts.

Meryem Ersoz November 17th, 2007 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 777158)
got a English to Spanish Version from a free on line translator:

Nuestro Mundo, su Visión

Free Latin Tranlation:

Nostrum Mundus , Vestri Visum

or

Nostrum Universitas , Vestri Visum

Free Portuguese Translation:

Nosso Mundo, Sua Visão

thanks, chris, now all we need is someone from a spanish-speaking country and a portueguese person to sign up (and finish). i guess we also need to find a dead roman! who makes videos....

thanks for the translation, markus!

linguists say that about half the world's languages will vanish in the next hundred years due to globalization...and if you vikings have your way, norwegian will be the next to go!

Dale Guthormsen November 17th, 2007 09:48 PM

1. We shoot Outdoors

2. the most fun Outdoors

3. Uwollers do it with Style

4. No Boundries No limits

ok not so easy to come up with is it??