DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #6: "Get To Bed!" by Catherine Russell (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/108385-uwol-6-get-bed-catherine-russell.html)

Catherine Russell November 20th, 2007 10:24 AM

UWOL #6: "Get To Bed!" by Catherine Russell

Hi everyone! Welcome to "the ballad of the Screaming Baby Ranch" ! This time, my entry is a story all the way. Unfortunately, this scenario occurs more often than not ;-). Hope you enjoy it. You might want the brightness on your computer monitors turned up, or you might miss a scene of the goats scampering off to their stalls.... it's tough filming with little light! Who thought of doing that anyway ;-)! Also, I hope everyone can read the English "subtitles"... I would be hard pressed to have the narrative translated in all the different languages we represent in UWOL, like Meryem wants on the UWOL T-shirts!

the link is:

http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen...6_gettobed.mov

Have fun and I'm excited for everyone else's entry!

Cat

Meryem Ersoz November 20th, 2007 04:18 PM

well, you had me at "canon in D"--one of the best pieces of music on the planet.

that is a seriously evocative tune, and its mournful, yearning quality really contrasted with the cute Dr. Seuss-ish rhymes to create a really charming and interesting effect. sort of wistful and humorous at the same time.

it is such an over-determined piece, since it is used in every wedding, etc., and this is such an original way to use it.

great ending, with getting those ducks to bed and restoring some authority to our hapless omniscient narrator who could not get any of those miscreants to behave!

your footage suffered from some serious grain, but that's all part of learning to shoot this ultra-challenging NIGHT footage.

ok, now i have to ask, who in their right mind feeds the skunks?? i should send the ones that roam our alley and spray my dog out to your place...followed by the raccoons who fight on my roof....

i enjoyed this very much...had me laughing and feeling that winding down, end-of-the-day feeling at the same time...

David Gemmell November 20th, 2007 04:34 PM

Hi Cat,

Well I have now downloaded and watched all entries and have to say that I just love watching Got to Bed.

The music selection fits the farm yard scene beautifully, but I think it is the whole feel of the entry (like the movie Babe) that comes through, in such a funny any innocent way.

You have a lovely outlook on life - which I see in your comments from time to time in the various threads, and this comes through in this entry and through your poetic commentary.

It isn't the best in terms of picture quality, but in terms of how you feel after watching something, your entry really does it for me. Just loved it...

Steve Siegel November 20th, 2007 05:06 PM

Cat,
Well, I'm in the Shark Tank, but that doesn't preclude comment. I agree with Meryem. Pachelbel's Canon is perfect for your piece. The best part, however were your little verses. I don't think anyone in UWOL has done that before. Between the simple verse, the quiet animal scenes, and the soothing music, I thought I had encountered the child's book "Goodnight Moon" in video. If you haven't thought about publishing this, you should.
One problem (and you are not the only one). Your action takes place just after dusk, but your crescent moon is a rising moon. This was happening at about 2 AM. A crescent moon in the evening is always setting and has its convex side pointing toward the sun, which in the Northern Hemisphere is always going to be to its right. Simply do a horizontal flip to turn it around. This may sound like nitpicking, but it is a fact that people who spend lots of time outdoors always notice in nature films when the cinematographer gets it wrong. My favorite example was a Popular Photography cover where the guy Photoshopped a full moon into his sunset.

Vidar Vedaa November 20th, 2007 05:23 PM

Hallo Cahterine

You have a realy carming film,the overall made this film for me on
of the beder,some teknikal thing but a I realy like this.

Best Regards
V Vedaa

Ruth Happel November 20th, 2007 05:32 PM

Cat,

This was really fun- and very funny! As usual you used your special effects to good use, but I think you went a step further than previous entries in telling a story, which I appreciate.

The transition between the hen and the moon was really magical to me, a perfect cut between the two forms.

I also enjoyed your verse- very clever and appropriate for the footage. You really have a gift for combining the two- it was creative and entertaining. And of course it was nice to have a happy ending- ducks that actually responded to you. Though I have my doubts about the winking goat- that one looked up to no good :)

Ruth

Per Johan Naesje November 20th, 2007 05:57 PM

Cat, I really enjoyed watching your film! It was fun and joyable. The skunk was a real highlight :-)
Your editing was nice, so was the poem and Pachelbel's Canon, one of my favorites, made this to a wonderful experience.

Brian McKay November 20th, 2007 06:06 PM

Cat that was great fun, that farm of yours looks like my kind of place...particularly the lack of snow. The selection of music and the story work wonderfully together. I loved it and know that when my granddaughter next comes for a visit watching "get to bed" will be on our list of things to do together.

Thanks for all your excellent and hard work.

Brian

Chris Barcellos November 20th, 2007 06:42 PM

Catherine: Being a farm boy myself, this film reawakened memories in me about our barnyard animal..... It amazing how these animals go about their daily business despite our presence..... taking their own sweet time doing it to...

Nice film !

Catherine Russell November 20th, 2007 09:23 PM

Hi everyone:

I think I'm having as much fun reading all of your comments this round as watching everyone's film! Thank you for such fun and informative feedback! A few "quick" responses...

Meryem: I'm wondering if I should start a thread on just how do you shoot in the dark with satisfactory results like good quality video and no grain. I have an older camera, but I can't just chalk it up to that! I'm sure there's lots I can do to improve the video quality with what I have. People used great lighting techniques to light up their subjects but what is really fabulous is your filming of the ducks on Boulder Creek (?) You didn't use any lighting for this and it turned out beautifully! That's what I would love to know how to do!

Oh, and feeding the skunks? Yea, I'm guilty as charged.... I feed honey to wasps and yellow jackets when it's past their season and are driven indoors... and go through lots of birdseed every week (hate to admit how much) to feed the pigeons .... so send them my way, if they land on my doorstep, they'll get fed!

Steve: I got such a kick out of your comment... how very keen of you to notice! I didn't even think about it! I took lots of moon shots and just grabbed the one I liked best and used it.... didn't even consider how it pertained to my story! Funny thing though, I actually superimposed Venus with the moon because with the zoom they both didn't fit in the frame together. It was this I was sure people would call me on, not the moon rising or setting! That was wonderful input Steve, thank you! But you know... I could argue that the moon WAS correct because the animals still were not in bed at 2 A.M. ;-).

Ruth: Bless you friend for the comment about the winking goat! That is one of my favorite parts and I only noticed she (Meagan) did that in post processing. I'm so glad you picked up on that!

David: I think it's you friend, that has such a great outlook on life. You are so right, not the best quality video but I liked the feel of it too. I do hope someday I can achieve both quality video and like the feel of it too!

Per: Any comment from you that you enjoyed this film is nothing but a great honor, thank you.

Brian: Now that IS an honor! Not everyone gets to have their film scrutinized by a granddaughter! I am touched.

Vidar: Thank you for your kind words!

and Chris: You make me laugh... yes the animals really have minds of their own and take their sweet time in doing what they do! Did you notice I stole a technique of yours by stepping back through scenes near the end which have played before? I find that very powerful and something I just had to try. Thanks for giving me the inspiration!

Cat

Bryce Comer November 21st, 2007 03:49 AM

Hi Cat,
Well, i guess you agree, that the technical quality of your footage is what is lacking from your film. BUT, The footage itself, & the story you told with it, had me wishing my kids were about 15 years younger, & sitting on my lap with me as i watched your film, to enjoy it with me. I like Steve, thought, wow, this is something that you could publish. I was thinking as i watched it, that maybe if you could get the same sort of shots with the quality you want, & put it together as an interactive type of file, playable on the computer or on the tv, you would have many children enthralled. I loved it!

Bryce

John Dennis Robertson November 21st, 2007 04:57 AM

Hi Cat
Its going to take me a few days to download and comment on everyones video.I have just downloaded and viewed your video.You already know That Im a fan of your work,I know that you are working with an older camera and the quality of the video might not be what you were hoping for.However ,in my humble opinion,for what ever its worth.I believe video is but part of a the project.There is sound to consider, music , and a story.When someone gets most of that right,then its a joy watch and share with others.I know we all strive for the impossible perfection .With this you have got most of it right.Nice work Cat loved it.

Catherine Russell November 21st, 2007 07:17 AM

Hi Bryce and Dennis!

Thanks for the kind feedback.

Dennis, I agree with every word of your humble opinion and think it's right on.

Bryce... fun idea about re-shooting it with better quality video and perhaps publishing it...... want to come over and shoot it for me? I'm only half kidding.. your work is excellent!

It must be the end of year holiday spirit... but I'm getting such a kick out of watching these films, commenting and getting your feedback. This is a blast!

Cat

Geir Inge November 21st, 2007 08:48 AM

Hi Catherine.

What a great storyteller you are Catherine, this was really enjoyable to watch. Well a little bit of grain, but so what? As always you paint your story beautifully in a way few does, and I had no problems following your story, nor reading the text. Just wonder where you get your ideas from?
I guess you have it all in front of you living on a farm? But that's also something to cherish, you make use of what's there and put it all into a great story. The music is great too. I don't want to pick one particular scene as my favorite as I think the whole film of yours is: Yes - a complete and wonderful story. Of caurse a little minus because of the grain, but just a little one, hehe. Your editing skills are way over average and if there was a plus for feeding the skunk I'd give you one right away :)

In this round I need some days to watch all the films, but I will comment all of them in time.

Best wishes
Geir Inge

Carl Middleton November 21st, 2007 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz (Post 778858)
that is a seriously evocative tune, and its mournful, yearning quality really contrasted with the cute Dr. Seuss-ish rhymes to create a really charming and interesting effect.

I know!!! My first thought while reading the rhymes was that the guy from Pushing Daisies really needs to narrate this. :)

For those of you who might not have seen it, Pushing Daisies is kind of a modern-day Dr. Seuss for adults, filmed in HD with some really awesome color grading, definitely worth a watch.

I enjoyed the film!

Carl