DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#6 "Shots In The Dark" by Bruce Foreman (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/108401-uwol-6-shots-dark-bruce-foreman.html)

Bruce Foreman November 20th, 2007 11:41 AM

UWOL#6 "Shots In The Dark" by Bruce Foreman

Not artistic by any means. But we did have fun despite not only having to work in the dark but had to contend with sudden very strong winds as a cold front literally "blew in".

Actually had some lighting equipment damage (good thing they weren't expensive units), neither of the lights are usable anymore.

But we still had fun with the project.

Catherine Russell November 20th, 2007 01:04 PM

Hey Bruce:

I thought this was really cool. Of course, it goes without saying you bring such a great twist on theme to these challenges, but this was fascinating! I really enjoyed watching this! The way the targets just came into view when you started shooting.... is that how it is? or was this a nice effect you put in in post-processing.

Thanks Bruce... this was fun to watch, you guys are excellent marksmen and I like the way you used the music in the end.

Great clip!

Cat

Meryem Ersoz November 20th, 2007 04:00 PM

well, i could not hit the side of a barn with one of those...i'd be one of those "bad encounters" methinks!

very original theme interpretation, as always.

good credits, made me laugh...you almost should have staged one of those lights tipping over or getting blown away and shot some footage of all the adversity that you encountered--maybe even funnier would have been a video about shooting a video of night shooting and seeing all the things that go wrong.

of course, you'd probably need another bigger badder light kit to do that!

Brian McKay November 20th, 2007 07:32 PM

Bruce that looked like fun...we use nothing but rifles up here but maybe on a warm summer evening I'll get some of the guys together and give that a go. I bet caribou would hate that laser shining in there eyes....just kidding.

Meryem said night and brother you brought us night...fun to watch.

Thanks Brian

PS: in the summer we have 24 hours of sunlight :)

Ruth Happel November 21st, 2007 01:36 AM

Bruce,

This was definitely a play on words- very fun to watch. The footage was amazing- the actual shooting accentuated by the darkness. I think this actually worked way better as a night video than it would have by now- dramatized what you were "shooting".

Sorry to hear about the lights- definitely a challenge filming under these conditions, but you got great results.

Ruth

David Gemmell November 21st, 2007 06:07 AM

Hi Bruce,

You & Chris clearly did have a good time together and the humour extended right through to the credits - which I enjoyed.

You did well as I could hear the guts of winds from that front starting. Would have loved to see you and Chris with some slow motion "Gun fight at the OK Corral" stuff, but I think the fun you were having was very evident anyway.

You have a lot of good acting friends Bruce.

Well done.

Geir Inge November 21st, 2007 12:47 PM

Hi Bruce.
First I have to say I'm not very much into shooting, unless it's with my video camera, but that's not the issue here. Shooting can be a great sport and in my former job I followed many youngsters to the shooting area for practice.
Guess I'm more into trout fishing :)
You have great skills in preparing a good story and your "Shots in the dark" do follow the same nice float as your previous films. I can hear that there's some wind in your mic, but it doesn't matter much as your voices are loud and clear. Also you're good at following the "Rule of thirds". The music at the end is great and once again you've got company in your video. Great to have friends helping out.
Didn't mention your editing skills, but they are as usual way over average.

Wish you all the best.
Geir Inge

Dale Guthormsen November 21st, 2007 01:44 PM

Bruce,

I have always loved shooting, anything (qualify that: bows, muzzies,sling shots, slr's, camcorders, rifles hand guns- you name it)at any time. Night shootingis a blast and you did a cool job demonstrating that with this clip.

My biggest complaint was the wind rumble, if you could have cut that out in post (at least the harsh ness of it) it would of been even better.

Great theme, good job!!

Bob Safay November 21st, 2007 07:10 PM

A rather informative video. Congradulations, you explained laser sighting to my wife. It was great watching the hits on the targets, was that an overlay? Lighting was very good, especially liked the tail lights of the pick-up. Now, the very first opening line came on to fast and was hard to distinguish. The rest of the audio, except for the wind, was fine. Man I bet that was some fun being out there popping away at night. Bob

Per Johan Naesje November 22nd, 2007 03:52 AM

Bruce, as a former Para-Ranger in the military I will say that your shooting (both of them ;-) is stunningly well done. What a shooting speed you have!
Put that out on your local TV and gangster will stay a long distance away from your home!

Interesting to view how you archieved to show the target together with the shooter. Technical well done.

Very good work!

Bryce Comer November 22nd, 2007 04:30 AM

Bruce,
What an informative film. I must say, i am glad there wasn't any wildlife in it, not with your aim! Your editing was great, i really loved the way you brought in the target as you took aim & let fly. There was a real beginning & end to this film, & all the way through, you could tell you were having fun.

Bryce

Trond Saetre November 22nd, 2007 04:56 PM

Bruce, this was interesting to watch. Your films are always among the first ones I watch.
I like your editing, how the targets appear when you shoot. I bet the strong wind made things hard for you.
Too bad you didn't had a shot of the lights getting damaged. (as in "look what the storm did to my equipment" shots). Glad they weren't too expencive.

Thank you for sharing.

Gordon Hoffman November 23rd, 2007 10:51 PM

Bruce
Looks like it was fun! This was a good use for a split screen. Did you use two cameras or shoot it all twice? Nice job.

Gordon Hoffman

Bruce Foreman November 23rd, 2007 11:07 PM

Just finished up a family/clan re-union with little opportunity to comment on submisssions. Will try to answer all above questions with one message here.

Cat, Per, Bryce, Trond, and Gordon: I had two cameras running, I used PIP to "pop" the target footage in with it sync'd to the audio of the gunfire from the main camera. I could have made it more obvious by adding a frame around the second camera footage but was afraid it would have too "jarring" a look to it.

It would be easy to go on and on about my film and I'll have more to say later, but I really need to get on with feedback for others.