DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#6 "Nocturnal Nature" by Ruth Happel (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/108416-uwol-6-nocturnal-nature-ruth-happel.html)

Ruth Happel November 20th, 2007 01:40 PM

UWOL#6 "Nocturnal Nature" by Ruth Happel

Well, this theme certainly put the challenge in the UWOL challenge! I spent a few days stumbling around the woods in the dark, literally. Then I realized it would be the perfect time to use the night shot mode on my camcorder, which I've rarely used before. It actually worked surprisingly well, allowing me to get shots in near total darkness- though with a green tinge to them. Maybe I should have done my version of Shrek or the Grinch.

Robin agreed to act again, and we played with the theme of a nature show gone wrong. Based on previous comments, I tried to add some wow moments along with humor and a (quirky) story. Though not part of the film, if you look past the credits, there is a deleted scene I just couldn't allow to go unseen- planned and staged entirely by Robin.

This was really a great theme, since it got me out shooting when I normally don't, and as Meryem encouraged us, made me use my camera in new ways. Though I don't think nocturnal shooting is my favorite, I certainly will think in future before putting the camera away after the sun goes down.

Here are the links to my video-

On UWOL challenge site- http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen...rnalnature.mov

My website, with additional versions- http://www.rockfowl.com/archive/2007...ure-video.aspx

Ruth

Mat Thompson November 20th, 2007 02:34 PM

Hey Ruth
Well I think this is your best uwol piece to date. Its lots of fun, (as usual) clever, has nice footage and that staring leading lady is going from strength to strength. Those spider web shots were killer. I like the torch beam shots on the canopy too and the slug footage.

Great stuff!

Catherine Russell November 20th, 2007 03:38 PM

Ruth:

What a hoot! When you just keep laughing in spite of yourself, you know there is lots of talent going on, both in front of the camera and the cinematographer behind the scenes. The web shots are most "killer" as Mat claims, and the slug was hysterical.

What are you going to think of next? Both UWOL 5 and 6 are your "signature" pieces! You and Robin are becoming a winning team!

Great clip!

Cat

Meryem Ersoz November 20th, 2007 03:46 PM

that night shot feature is a good effect. glad you found it. i always wondered what kind of footage it produced. those are great shots of the slug and the spider web, especially with all of those lovely raindrops clinging to it...macro is a blast to shoot.

funny bit where robin bonks the tree...

are you "jeff"?

David Gemmell November 20th, 2007 05:11 PM

I can say it will come as no surprise whatsoever to see Robin on my TV screen some day - she is so talented.

Funny, and pure entertainment is all I can really say. We (my family) all loved this entry, particularly the shot of Robin and the tree, and also the slug's apology.

Ruth, you have a truly unique style and I think this theme has worked perfectly for this.

When are your going to put all your work together, so I can buy the 30 minute DVD for our family to watch?

Chris Barcellos November 20th, 2007 06:54 PM

Haaa Haaa ,,,, I'm splitting a gut.... won't even need that surgical incision I gonna get tomorrow because of that. This was funny, as usual with Robin stealing the show...and nature sprinkled in between. Thanks for that...

Ruth Happel November 20th, 2007 09:49 PM

Thanks for all the replies- to me sharing feedback is one of the most important parts of UWOL, and I really appreciate all your comments.

Mat and Meryem- I am glad you liked the spider web shot. I decided this time I really needed to get a wow moment, so am glad it worked for you. Meryem- full disclosure- yes, I am "Jeff".

Cat- I am really glad you see a pattern with 5 and 6. I liked working on UWOL 5, so Robin and I decided to pursue that nature show gone wrong approach here too. We like it so much, in fact, that while UWOL is on hiatus, she and I are going to be developing a couple of these types of videos on our own for a website we are developing called NaturePalooza- a work in progress we hope to launch next month.

David- Robin and I will need to start working on the DVD collection :)

Chris- Glad you liked it. Robin and I hope we haven't caused any medical complications for you! She does steal the show, but I'm glad for that.

Ruth

Brian McKay November 20th, 2007 10:04 PM

Ruth/Robin I like the night shot feature, makes for a spooky..."Blair Witch" feel. The story line was great fun, the macro of the slug was wonderful as was the spider web.

You two always have so much fun...looking forward to the next episode.

Brian

Geir Inge November 21st, 2007 05:44 PM

Hi Ruth.
Great to meet you and Robin again.
Well mostly Robin, you I guess is in the other end of camera :)
Great plot/story and the soundtrack.
If the soundtrack is no good, it some how destroy the film I think, but you have a way with sound too :)
Great editing and as I've told you before: I love your sense of humour mixed into your films. The forrest is a great place for night filming if you got some light. I guess both you and Robin put some effort in this one.

I wish you both all the best.
Geir Inge

Dale Guthormsen November 21st, 2007 06:14 PM

Ruth,

I definitely believe this to be your best piece and your actresses as well!!

The deleted scene made me chuckle and wish you had incorporated it somehow.
favorite shot is the spider web!! rreal fine!
next favortite the slug!!

Real fun video

Gordon Hoffman November 21st, 2007 09:51 PM

Ruth
You and Robin keep things interesting. As mentioned this maybe the best of yours' so far. The shots of the smaller creatures where excellent.
The nightshot feature on the Sony camcorders can be useful at times.

Gordon Hoffman

Per Johan Naesje November 22nd, 2007 03:45 AM

Ruth and Robin,
one of your best so far. Beautiful story and Robin... ...have you got any inquiry from Hollywood yet?
The nightshot with your camcorder was really nice.

Keep up your good work!

Bryce Comer November 22nd, 2007 04:09 AM

Ruth & Robin,
Wow what a great fun film, i loved the way it went from comedy to mystery, to Blair witch project & back again! Loved the shot too of the spiderweb, & the fine detail in the close up of the slug was amazing! Just one question, where did you find that talking slug? Well done.

Bryce

Ruth Happel November 22nd, 2007 12:20 PM

Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate them.

Brian- With my camcorder, there are two ways to do nightshot. With the scene of moving the flashlight through the tree canopy, I used the setting that gives a slow motion effect to heighten the tension- I've never seen Blair Witch, but I guess that's the type of effect I was going for- spooky (with audio of the threatening animals in the back to heighten that feeling).

Geir- I'm glad you liked the film. My background is in audio, so in many ways I approach a film first thinking about the sound, and then go for the visuals. This one was very complex, using multiple voice takes of Robin, and dozens of natural sounds. But it was a lot of fun creating a non-existent animal habitat to populate the night soundscape.

Dale- Glad you liked the film. I would have loved to use the deleted scene, especially since it was totally a product of Robin's ideas and planning, but it was clearly shot during the day (while we were out scouting locations) so it didn't seem fair to include it in the night theme. Maybe we will find a way to include it for fun in a video we make on our own. Glad you liked the spider web, I had never seen one quite so heavy with waterdrops, and glinting in the sun, so was glad to see it during this challenge.

Gordon- Shooting the small creatures was fun. Though getting macro footage of the slug was surprisingly difficult. This is no ordinary slug- it's about 6 inches long, and moves surprisingly fast (though not as fast as seen here, I sped it up in editing for effect). So I had to be an inch away to get those details, and it was constantly on the move. But in the process of getting out at night and looking for wildlife, I found a new world to explore, a great result of the challenge.

Per- Well, since Robin did have an opportunity to audition for a popular show here in the US already earlier this year (she turned it down to have a normal summer vacation, which we did enjoy), I think there may be more chances in the future. But she decided for now anyway she prefers a normal life over Hollywood. But maybe someday...

Bryce- Glad you enjoyed the film. I have two comments now about it being like Blair witch project, maybe I'll have to see that. I was trying to create a variety of moods in this, so I'm glad it came across for you. Out here in the Pacific Northwest, the talking slug is pretty common...- NOT!

Thanks again for all your comments.

Ruth

Trond Saetre November 22nd, 2007 03:57 PM

My friends, Robin and Ruth, this was awesome!

It is very nice to see how Robin's acting skills have improved during this year. Very good! She is telling the story in the funny "Robin way".
Maybe the deleted scene could have been used in the beginning... as in "dusk is approacing" or something like that. It was a cool scene.

The night vision shots were cool.
And the way you had the story around that snail coming "towards you".
There is no other way to summarize this than, "I loved it".

Thank you very much for sharing.