DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #6 Listen to the night. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/108424-uwol-6-listen-night.html)

Bob Safay November 20th, 2007 02:44 PM

UWOL #6 Listen to the night.

Well, like most of you my brain was fried on this one. I finally decided to go with the sounds of the night. Of course living in downtown Atlanta this was not always easy. Yes, I followed the format of my first post, "watch the sky". Even used the same music, did this on purpose so that I could keep the same feeling. All but two shots were videoed within 4 blocks of my house. I never realized videoing at night could be such a challenge. Sereral trips to Orme Park at night (spooky walking through the park at night with my XL-2), but the task was completed and got it posted in record time. So, sit back and try not to beat me up to badly. Thanks to all of you for a wonderful 2007 and really looking forward to 2008. Bob Safay

Meryem Ersoz November 20th, 2007 03:55 PM

it's deja vu all over again! which is great because your "living skies" piece was a favorite of mine. i always enjoy the poetry of what you do...

i wanted to fire up a campfire for mine as well but ran out of time to do everything i hoped to try...i love the way you used campfire to light up the clay statue on the tree. i was hoping someone would squeeze out some images by fire light.

very nice natural audio in this, the fire, storm, bugs, wind chimes. you do a great job blending audio.

Ruth Happel November 20th, 2007 04:03 PM

This was really interesting to watch, since it was a mirror image of your first video. I thought it showed very well how much you have progressed in a year, but at the same time both are powerful. The poetry of your words and images is well expressed in both- keep up the great work!

Vidar Vedaa November 20th, 2007 05:41 PM

Hello Bob

A realy good film,It remind me so mutce of all the night I have
loved the silens in the wildness,so I must say a great peace.
Audio maybee a bit to commpressed.

Best Regards
V Vedaa.

Per Johan Naesje November 20th, 2007 05:45 PM

Bob, wonderfull video. Your narrating is very relaxed and good to listen to. Picture quality was excellent.
The only minor is the metallic sound, I think because of the compression which is disturbing.
Good work!

Chris Barcellos November 20th, 2007 07:29 PM

Bob: Nicely edited and well narrated piece. You got me guessing about and wanting to see the next progression. Great job !

Brian McKay November 20th, 2007 10:38 PM

Flash back or what....I HAVE listened to the night and you indeed have captured that feeling. Nice flow your narration is so soothing and along with the images I felt very relaxed.

I enjoyed this one very much.

Brian

David Gemmell November 21st, 2007 06:16 AM

Hi Bob,

Excellent approach to the theme!

Yes, how many of us remove everything from our minds, close our eyes and just listen. It really is a beautiful feeling, which you captured so well visually, and expressed so well with your lovely soothing voice.

A wonderful approach Bob and an entry I really liked.

Catherine Russell November 21st, 2007 10:17 AM

Hi Bob:

This entry just simply swept me off in a sort of blissful reverie and let me down softly in the end! Oh but the end.... I loved the impact of your narration asking the obvious question that you don't even see coming until you are speaking the words.

Nicely done, Bob! It's thought provoking and innovative.

Cat

Geir Inge November 21st, 2007 01:54 PM

Hi Bob.
I enjoyd your "Listen to the night" very much.
You have a good taste for good stories and this is one of them.
Great colours and scenes to follow the story.
About your film there's only one thing I can come of as a minor, the soundtrack. Maybe this have to do with compression? It's like a methal sound in it? I think I've mentioned this before in another round of uwol? Your narrating is great and so is your editing skills.
The piano in the background is moody and lift the film to a new dimention.

Great job and a great story for the night theme.

All the best.
Geir Inge

Dale Guthormsen November 21st, 2007 02:08 PM

Bob,

I am making these comment before reading the others. this is one of my top favorites!!
You do a fantastic job telling the story and your theme is a real ear-opener as well as an eye opener.

I like the idea of using the visual to support the audio. Seems we mostly tend to look at this the other way around, nice twist/flip.

I liked the opening, movement to the city and then back out in the natural world.

the final Naration, "have you ever Just listened", what a great line!!!

All of the video was a pleasure to watch, I never really seemed strained to watch while I sat back and Just Listened.

What a great job!!!

Bob Safay November 22nd, 2007 07:03 AM

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all, and thank you all for the feedback. I am in a dilemma. I keep listening to my video and I can not pick up the metallic sound. Can you be more specific on what it sounds like? Is it constant throughout the clip? As crazy as this may seem it appairs that only Team Norway is detecting it, or at least reporting it. I am going to run some more tests on this end. Please let me know anthing else on this sound. Thanks again for your comments, wow, what a theme. Bob

Geir Inge November 22nd, 2007 07:14 AM

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you too Bob.

About the metallic sound. On my computer it's constant throughout the film.
Don't know if I can explane it (if only I could explane in Norwegian) but it's like when you compress to much, to get the file down in size.
I'm using Sorenson Squeeze for compression, and sometimes if I do to much it will sound like this.
Sorry about my language problem.

Regards
Geir Inge

Bob Safay November 22nd, 2007 08:38 AM

Geir, thanks for the reply. I am using Sorenson3, Quicktime 6, 3 mb template, bit rate 240 Kbps, custom frame size 428x240 (it was shot in 16x9), audio 48 khz HQ

Any ideas? Anyone? Bob

Geir Inge November 22nd, 2007 09:06 AM

Try out this tread Bob: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ighlight=johan
Both Per Johan and I use the same compression prg.
Geir Inge

Here's what PJ wrote:

Well, here is my workflow using Liquid 7.2 for editing and Sorenson Squeeze for web compression.

I shoot all my stuff in 1080/50i (interlaced) and edit on a HDV 1080/50i (1440x1080 16X9) timeline. I think Australia also use PAL, so this will be suitable for you to use too.
When done in the edit process I do a mark in and out and export the sequence to a Mpeg-2 file, where I choose HD 720p as the format, I leave the settings default which mean:
- Resolution 1280x720
- Interlacing Progressive
- Frame Rate 25
- Audio Fomat 48 kHz ...

Switch to Sorenson Squeeze.
Import the file, then choose Quick Time, then HD 480p, apply this setting, click the + sign and right click SV3 Pro, then choose Edit
In this window do the following:
- make sure the Maintain Aspect Ratio is on
- Set Frame Size to 428 W, you can pshycally write 428 in the field.
- check that codec is Sorenson Video 3 Pro
- check that method is Sorenson 2-pass VBR
- Data Rate set to 2500 kpbs
- Frame Rate 1:1
- Biderctional Frame Allow
- Min. quality unchecked
- Quick Compress unchecked
- Image Smooting checked
click OK and then Squeeze It

The compression will now take place, check the size of the compressed QT-file when finished, you have to check it with Windows Explorer. Normally a 3 min compressed file will be around 55-58 MB with the settings used.
If the file size exceed 60 MB, then lower the Data Rate by 500 or something like this and try again.

One note: I found that Liquid and Sorenson are not happy with each other! I always close Liquid before opening Sorenson. I don't know why but if I don't do this I got some issues when playing the compressed file in Sorenson! So keep this in mind!

Hope this will help you out.

Bryce Comer November 23rd, 2007 04:36 AM

Bob,
I loved your idea with "listen to the night". I had tried to capture something similar in the first part of my video, but the way you made it the focus for your entire film was great, & i thought very appropriate, considering, our ears are probably the most sensitive sense we have when night falls & our eyes are no longer effective. Your VO was very soothing to the ears, & well paced. Although i liked your script very much, i would have liked to have heard less of it, & more of those sounds of the night. Maybe just the first couple of lines, then that killer last line right at the end, "have you ever just listened?" This is just my humble opinion. Overall, this was a fantastic film, & one i enjoyed very much!

Bryce

Trond Saetre November 23rd, 2007 08:51 AM

Bob, you came up with a really good video this round.
I loved what you did, and the narration was great.
Mixing the nightlife downtown with the nature was a good idea.

The "metallic sound" Per and Geir are talking about, it might be the clip of the dripping water.
I had something like that in my uwol 4 (the water theme), when I filmed a small waterfall, and the water hitting rocks made the "metallic" sound also commented by Per back then.
Personally I did not notice any metallic sound.

Thank you for sharing.
I'm looking forward to your future videos.