Who is who - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 1st, 2008, 02:38 AM   #61
Trustee

Back on topic

Hi all,
I just had to pop in this photo of me with my new toy. A Miller DS10 Solo carbon fibre tripod. Can't wait to put it to use for this round.
Let the fun begin! Happy filming to all!

Bryce
Attached Thumbnails
Who is who-cameraman.jpg  
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:53 AM   #62
Tourist

Raynox?

Wow, Bryce!

Is that the Raynox HDP-9000EX protruding from Your cam? I'm in the midst of ordering one from B&H. To my disappointment, it won't have the lens shade included (you seem to have gotten one somewhere, not?). To my suprise, a rep from B&H said in the mail concerning the lack of it (quote) "Our Answer: You need to use the existing lens hood that came with your Canon XHA1. It attaches to the Raynox directly".

I sure wonder how that can be if HDP really has front lens diameter of about 10 cm. Well, live and learn. Guess I have to make a mock one from PVC tube of something.

Cheers
Heimo
Heimo Vepsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 05:07 AM   #63
Trustee

good point Dale - the pic's have been missing

here's a still from a recent promo we did - I promise not to get in front of the camera for UWOL
Attached Thumbnails
Who is who-professor8.jpg  
Old February 1st, 2008, 05:19 AM   #64
Trustee

Hi Heimo,
Yes you picked it. I also picked mine up from BH Photo. Price was about half of what they cost here in Oz. Bizzare that it won't be coming with the lens shade! As far as the rep saying that the Canon lens shade will work, well let's just say that i'd like some of whatever he's on!! You might try contacting Raynox direct & ask them what the go is. Making something from PVC tube i guess would be possible but not an easy job. I just measured it & the outside diameter of the thread is 107mm. If you can sort the lens shade out, i'm sure you will be very impressed with it. Although i haven't yet seen any of my footage on a big full high def screen, on my computer screen the clips are sensational! Make sure you have a decent tripod though! I was using a Libec LS22, & although i liked the tripod for the money, I just ended up investing in a Miller DS10, & so far it looks heaps more stable with the Raynox lens on.

Bryce
Old February 1st, 2008, 05:20 AM   #65
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimo Vepsa View Post
Wow, Bryce!

"Our Answer: You need to use the existing lens hood that came with your Canon XHA1. It attaches to the Raynox directly".
Heimo
I've never heard of the Raynox but boy am I interested - so it actually fits on the front of the XH-A1? - I'm tempted

All the web pages I looked at said the special lens hood was included - I'd be harassing B&H
Old February 1st, 2008, 05:39 AM   #66
Trustee

Hi Paul,
If you're into shooting wildlife, then a long lens is a real help, that's for sure. Last weekend, i actually shot some footage of a white bellied sea eagle from about 500m away & it really was like looking through a telescope. Without the lens, i couldn't even tell what sort of bird it was! The only problem especially here in Oz is the heat haze you are shooting through sometimes. On a clear cool day though, the picture is awsome.

Bryce
Old February 1st, 2008, 06:05 AM   #67
Regular Crew

Nice Bryce. I need some better lens for my XH A1 and you found the solution :) but will that lens stick on to the front of the A1 without support?
maybe some sort of rails would be smart?

anyways.
Here i am.
First timer to the uwol this year and up for the task.
Im a 26 year old norwegian that loves both filming and sound engineering :)
hmm
the attatchments doesnt work it seems.
posting rules states following.
You may not post attachments
Vegard Paulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 06:31 AM   #68
Trustee

Hi Vegard,
The lens is great. It's not too heavy but i do have a set of rails that i just bought recently. I just need to finish making up the support for the lens, just incase. It screws straight into the 72mm thread on the camera lens. Bit of a pain really, it goes in such a long way that it seems to take forever to screw it right in.

Bryce.

P.S. if you simply click on the Manage Attachments button when you are posting a reply, you can then navigate to the file on your computer you want to upload.
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:08 AM   #69
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Comer View Post
Hi Vegard,
The lens is great. It's not too heavy but i do have a set of rails that i just bought recently. I just need to finish making up the support for the lens, just incase.
Hi Bryce and Paul!

And thanks for the tips. I also thought of building some type of support in due time.

I think I'll try to contact both Raynox and BH on the shade. I believe, Bryce, you bought yours last october, so it really is strange why they now would not have the shade included.

As to Vegard, his join date might be too close.

Heimo
Heimo Vepsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:22 AM   #70
Inner Circle

raynox

Bryce,

could you post a couple stills and info on this in the outdoor forum (uwol) I am sure there are a lot of people in that group interested in this duplex/1.8x.

I would like to see an object with the standard 20x lens full framed, then back off and full frame it with the 1.8x.
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM   #71
Trustee

Raynox Thread

Hi Dale,
I have posted a thread here. http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...811#post818811
I hope this will answer questions you or any others may have about this lens.

Bryce
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:57 PM   #72
Major Player

Good point, here is a me. :)

Even one not taken on halloween! ;)

C
Attached Thumbnails
Who is who-sleazy-halloween.jpg   Who is who-dscn0005.jpg  

Old February 10th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #73
Tourist

New nature filmmaker!

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to the forums. I haven't entered a UWOL competition yet, but I'm planning on joining up in March and I can't wait! I figured this would be a good way to get started and get to know everyone. So this is me...I'm a film student right now, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person at USC who's hoping to spend years following animals all around the world :) I'm not allowed to post attachments for some reason, so here are the pics...

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...lyUSC/Website/

Nice to meet you all! I look forward to seeing how you Adventure folks do!
Jessica Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 03:44 AM   #74
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Blackwell View Post
I'm planning on joining up in March and I can't wait!
Welcome to the uwol family, Jessica. We are looking forward to have you with us in the future challenges.
Next one is in April, with sign up the last week of March.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 06:44 AM   #75
Wrangler

awrighty, we always like more girls with cameras in these parts...welcome to UWOL, Jessica...looking forward to seeing what you can put together in March...

usually Cat chimes in to help me out with Girls' Club, but i think we lost her in a snowstorm with this theme...she mentioned dangerous, now i'm worried!

sinkholes and avalanches all over this silly, snowy state...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge