UWOL Radio Broadcast on Feb. 1.... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:20 AM   #16
Wrangler

we played Jeff's and Geir's entries from a single DVD--we had to convert Geir's from PAL to NTSC, so that they could be played continuously from a single source, so we had them FTP us their files, so that they could be re-compressed together to a single DVD. playback from a deck or camera would be a very good option, in terms of quality, but since we had to deal with re-formatting anyway, DVD seemed most efficient. thanks to DJ for doing the re-format and compression for me and the players...my business partner does a lot of small, invisible things behind the scenes to support my UWOL habit...

Jeff, the other films i saw were pretty cool--i couldn't stay for all of it, because of child care issues (my daughter was sick most of last week, and definitely would not have held up....), but i just love enviro films.

they had great films...one about the controversy surrounding the environmental impact of the offshore installation of windmills--the footage of large offshore wind farms off the shore of denmark was pretty striking...it focused on questions about the trade-off between impacting the offshore environment to save energy.

another really interesting one about some fellas who dynamited a rock shelf in a set of very dangerous whitewater rapids, in order to make the rapids safer for river runners. also raised some interesting ethical questions...if you had asked me my opinion before watching the film, i would have said doing that was idiotic and an environmental travesty, but as i watched it, i wondered about how different it was from climbers who drill and bolt rocks, which is now a commonly accepted practice...not to open that can o worms, but....

very cute film about hooded mergansers--the filmmakers installed cameras into a nesting spot, so they could study the hatching and fledging of the chicks...

and also an interesting film about a bird restoration project--a large oil spill had destroyed the birds offshore habitat at devil's rock and scientists installed a fake colony, using decoys and recorded audio of the flock and mirrors, to draw the birds back to their nesting site. so more ethical questions about whether humans should intervene in the course of nature.

i very much enjoy watching wilderness ethics films, and these posed some challenging problems and issues.

kevin, mat, and i have kicked around the idea of having a UWOL meet-up at the Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival (the biggie in the States) in 2009, where it would be awesome to be able to watch these sorts of films with our group and chat about them afterwards with our gang...lots of provocative content.

although i almost think that these smaller festivals, where you see the lesser-known films are almost better, because these are truly high-quality, indie productions....and pretty inspiring.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Meryem,

I went to the radio site and listened to the broadcast. I think you did a fine job portraying uwol!! you covered just about everything is such a short time!!

Keep up the great work.
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
kevin, mat, and i have kicked around the idea of having a UWOL meet-up at the Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival (the biggie in the States) in 2009, where it would be awesome to be able to watch these sorts of films with our group and chat about them afterwards with our gang...lots of provocative content.
Great idea. Would have been a great opportunity to meet with other wildlife filmmakers as well. I'd say let's go for it!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #19
Trustee

I just listened to the interview. Very well done. I don't think you talked all that fast Meryem. You just had a lot to say.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge