UWOL Radio Broadcast on Feb. 1.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 31st, 2008, 11:15 PM   #1
Wrangler

UWOL Radio Broadcast on Feb. 1....

Tomorrow, I'll be on a local radio show talking about UWOL.

A woman I know runs a film festival (www.chaosfilmfest.org) in a mountain town near me, and she called me up several weeks ago to ask if I could send her some links to UWOL films. She elected to screen Geir Inge's "Born by the Sea" and Jeff Hendricks "Touching Generations" at the Chaos Film Festival this weekend. So congrats to Jeff and Geir for getting their films screened in a juried festival.

Meanwhile, she has arranged a radio interview to discuss the festival and invited me to come along and talk about UWOL and the fimmakers' films. The radio channel also airs its broadcasts on the web, so if you want to tune in, anywhere in the world, you can. At www.kgnu.org...12:30 pm Mountain Standard Time.

The best part? They asked me to bring along an audio clip for the show, so you can tune in, all around the world, and hear Geir singing Norwegian folk tunes while he paddles his red canoe.

We're gonna make him famous!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 05:25 AM   #2
Trustee

Congratulation Meryem, & all others involved in UWOL.
To see your hard work on UWOL starting to get more & more attention must be a great feeling. Congrats also, to Geir & Jeff I think it's great that your stuff is being shown at the film festival.

Bryce
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:40 AM   #3
Trustee

Just want to wish you good luck today and your radio perfermance, Meryem.
At an age of 80 years my father did get his first PC today and I'm back home helping him sort it out.
We have a little storm going on, always bad weather when uwol is on the run :) We're going to tune in on the radio and listen to you :)

Regards
Geir Inge
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:15 AM   #4
Trustee

Congratulation Geir and Jeff! How exciting to be recognized in broader circles. Thank you Meryem, for providing a platform to lift us all up and give us opportunities to hone skills and gain experience.

UWOL 2008 begins!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey Meryem,

Break a leg/vocal chord today, eh?

Looking forward to listening in...

Jeff
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey Meryem,

I just got through listening to the radio program that you were featured on...awesome job, you sounded like a pro. I like how you named every country and region represented in the contest…that was pretty cool. You should get into radio broadcasting because you have a terrific speaking voice.

…also…

Thank you very much for the kind words about my film.

Geir…it was nice to hear you sing again, a singular and pure voice!

if anyone wants to hear the broadcast, here is the link

http://www.kgnu.org/ht/listings.html

click on the noon show for Feb 1 and go about 50 minutes into the program to listen to our esteemed colleague Meryem Ersoz say great things about the worldwide UWOL and DVinfo community.

Again, great job Meryem and thank you...
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:39 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Meryem:

Very nice job, Meryem !!!!
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:06 PM   #8
Wrangler

i just listened to a couple seconds of this from the KGNU website. thanks for the link, jeff.

man, i talk so fast...hard to say all that i want to say about UWOL in just a few minutes...

it's just great that our filmmakers' films are getting seen in these platforms, in front of live audiences. i only wish jeff and geir could be there tomorrow when i introduce their films to the actual film audience, so that they could see people enjoying their work.

i am always bragging on how talented and wonderful you people are...
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:29 AM   #9
Trustee

I just listened to that segment from Jeff's link and you did a very good job, Meryem. I enjoyed your description of how all this UWOL thing got started.

That film festival sounds like fun.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 06:08 AM   #10
Major Player

Gee Meryem - where are you taking this thing!

Hey Meryem,

Just listed to your interview in full and it sounded great.

It is absolutely amazing what you have created, and it seems to me that UWOL is something that is so much a part of many people's lives every other month. I think you and the team should be so proud of yourselves.

Thanks for the link to the interview Jeff - I know the viewers of your entry are going to be very impressed, as it truly was an amazing piece of work - as was Geir's wonderful entry.

Meryem, I think that chorus of voices I mentioned some time ago appears to be getting louder as you stamp your mark on UWOL. Well done - you deserve all the wonderful things that appear to be heading in your direction!

Had a fairly quiet month planned for Feb however, looks like our family is now planning a bit of an adventure...amazing how a little thing on the other side of the world can influence our lives so much.

Hope all UWOLers are enjoying the adventure too.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 03:11 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks for the link Jeff to KGNU radio website
loaded in to itunes
Just listened too Meryem on the show, here in little old England
Well done and best of luck in the film fest Jeff and Geir.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 06:34 PM   #12
Wrangler

hey y'all, just reporting back from the Chaos film festival...great films, you two, they both held up well under projection. projection can expose all of your mistakes (as i know a little too well from personal experience...)

jeff, i have to say, WOW...a very nice web film looked great projected.

it's always interesting to see stuff projected, it can substantially change the meaning when you shift the context--i'd say, jeff, that i very much liked the original web video, but i loved it on the big screen. the great job you did editing it and piecing it together as a story really translated to a bigger screen. you packed a ton into three minutes...

and geir, totally unique to be seeing beautiful land- and sea-scapes from norway transported to the tiny mountain town of nederland, colorado.

nice work, you two. i wish the whole UWOL gang coulda been there to watch with me...
Old February 2nd, 2008, 07:24 PM   #13
Major Player

Meryem,

Give us a report on the rest of the fest when you get a chance...other films, atmosphere, etc. I want to live vicariously...

I don't think I could have sat through my film on the big screen...I would have been a nervous wreck.

Jeff
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:15 PM   #14
Trustee

Thank you for reporting back to us Meryem.
I must agree with Jeff, me too would have been a nervous wreck watching my own video screened together with audience :)
But as I told you in my mail, we had a little sitting back home with my "old folks" (parents) and it was extraneous/odd to listen to you (and me singing) on the local radio from Boulder/Nederland in Colorado - USA.
My father went walking round the kitchen flour and my mother cried a little bit. In fact I'm 48 years old and consider myself as a grown up. Married and got two daughters (13 and 17 at age), still they (my parents) went on like this:
My father: Oh, our little boy singing on the radio in America, it's crazy - it's wonderfull, it's crazy....
My mother: well, in fact she didn't say nothing at all, just listen and cried a bit. She don't speak or understand english language, hehe, but together with American language and my Norwegian song she let her emotions run free. I just love her (and my dad).
We had a little familier union on our own. I hope I don't seem too selfish speaking this way, but what I try to say is....:
UWOL is unique and without boundaries, gathering people together from all over the world. Isn't great? Thank you Meryem and "your" two boys hanging on, keeping us together for a challenge - making wildlife videos - "for fun" ( rule nr 11).

OK, today I had focus on up coming theme - "adventure".
Went out trying to catch some awsome footage and a blizzard.
Can you imagine?
Video camera's don't like blizzards very much?
The snow do have a way of getting where it shouldn't be... sigh...
I will post a picture from my tour in the tread "Tales of wonder and woe".
When I left my car on the parking lot, there was no snow. When I return from my tour,,, I had to sweep about 30 cm snow from my car.
I love uwol :)

Wish every uwoler good luck and all the best in their challenge for THE exceptional "adventure".

Geir Inge
Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:42 AM   #15
Trustee

video-footage for big screens

Hi Meryem,
don't know how these two films was projected?

I'm touring Norway with a big screen show - Real Wild Wildlife for the Masses!
To get the best quality, I record my finished edited show from my NLE and back to tape. Then I use a small Canon HV10 camcorder as a player, using component out, red, blue and green wires. (the HV10 lack HDMI output!).
The projector is a Epson EMP-TW 1000, full HD (1920x1080) projector.

You will not believe how stunning this footage looks in a big cinema! And of course a decent cinema sound system, enhange the action a lot!

Feedback from the audience is unambiguous cheering.

So for future screenings, I will highly recommend you to get as good quality of the film as you can, and in lack of BlueRay and HD/DVD discs, this can be a good solution!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge