Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #7 - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 20th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #181
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
Now I'm getting nervous - my footage is up, but it's soooo bad - it shouldn't be.
Hey Paul...
I just put mine up and I don't think it's anything special, that's for sure....

But I got it done....!! :)
My first time I was in the tank and it feels so good to complete my first UWOL Challenge...

So congrats on the completion....because completion is no small potatoes....

Bob T. - Glad I put it up so I would stop tinkerin' with it....
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #182
Major Player

Whew!

Uploading now! It comes with a heavy disclaimer of "I really had no clue what I was doing with this specific equipment" (as you will see!) =D

But I'm glad to turn in something! It was quite the personal adventure, though nothing to compare to snowboarders or eagles!

C
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #183
Major Player

Final tails of wonder and woe -

I went into this thing without a clue. Just a dream. No storyboard, no plan, no idea. And I thought about it a lot, too... But I went out and shot four days anyway. As I did some funny things happened. No real "Story" ever occurred to me out there, but I definitely found myself in some ridiculous situations - hanging from a tree, leaned over a rocky cliff, perched inside cave looking outward at complete madness, soaked, blinded by fog, seven miles from my truck with 60lbs of gear strapped to my back, I got lost, I got found, I got kicked out, I got invited in, I ran to, and I ran from - and those were the days I got nothing...

I've lied by my girl at night talking with her about this challenge - only to find she's been asleep half an hour already. I've lost my right to ever tell our son Matthew how much he can pay to download "just one song." And I've taken many breaks from this "work" by doing anything BUT sitting.

Matthew asked me tonight, "Do you think they'll be able to tell that you timed that guy getting up right along with the music?" My answer was classic, "No, probably not. But they'd be able to tell if I didn't.."

In the end, somewhat by default, I've ended up with an adventurous film. This was my goal, ultimately, but it was not achieved by plan. It was by adventure.

Good luck to everyone. I'm really looking forward to watching all of our UWOL films - while I'm standing of course...
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #184
Regular Crew

Haha Eric, good story! My story isn't nearly as adventurous as yours, I took 4 days shooting mine off and on and about 7-8 hours editing it, finding suitable music etc. I had 3 other editing projects to work on in the same timeframe so I just didn't have the energy to go "all out".

For me this one wasn't about winning top honors. I just didn't want to end up as "shark bait!". I learned something about POV shooting/editing though and I'm happy with that.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:52 AM   #185
Regular Crew

Hi

I'm using Microsoft Movie Maker ( thunderous laughter ), which I learnt editing on and found quite intuitive, but realise it is a bit basic.

Anyhow when I save the movie it doesnt save a lot of the titles, anyone got an idea how to resolve this, before I try and upload what I've got?

Any help appreciated

David
David Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:49 AM   #186
Major Player

Hi David
Not too much wrong with windows movie maker for some basic editing,I started using movie maker when i got my camera.I dont know what the problem is that you are having.try these guys they may know
http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/Default.aspx
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:04 AM   #187
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watkins View Post
Hi

I'm using Microsoft Movie Maker ( thunderous laughter ), which I learnt editing on and found quite intuitive, but realise it is a bit basic.
David, there's no reason to laugh of using Movie Maker. In fact I could certainly used it myself in 99% of my films!
Most films don't have so much fancy transitions, but mostly single cuts betweem frames.
No NLE (non-linear editing software) regardless of price will do ANY film. It's the editor (the human) which is the base factor here for doing those glorious films we all strive to archieve... ;-)

I'm sorry, I can not help you out with the problem's you have with applying text!
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:48 AM   #188
Inner Circle

Eric,

This was the best read I have had in ages. I had a good laugh several times and could identify with it all.

Like filming the eclipse last night from a road edge never used at that time, but there were vehicles on it last night, of course!!

Thanks for sharing!! Look forward to viewing it.
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:22 AM   #189
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Like filming the eclipse last night from a road edge never used at that time, but there were vehicles on it last night, of course!!
Don't talk to me about the eclipse :( I meant to wake up and go out and film it - 3:00 - 3:40 am here, set my alarm then woke up at 7:00am half-remembering some dream about pushing something until it stopped buzzing. Thankfully my wife was still in bed ;-)

No swimming with the sharks for me this time round, I wrapped last night and got a draft edit in place, some tweaking tonight and then it's all the way to FTPVille ;-)
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:36 AM   #190
Major Player

You think that's funny Dale...? You should have been one of the vultures circling overhead during my Point Reyes journey. Beautiful place, or so I hear. Went there with the gear, asked the rangers where all the action was. They pointed to a point on the map. "The point" on the map, of Point Reyes. Guy said you can't miss. Only one problem though, "You have a lot of gear? Cause it's a bit of a hike..." "Yeah no problem" I figured. "I can still remember working out regularly." The pack was real heavy so I opted for no water or sandwich (not like I packed a sandwich anyway). Seven mile hike - TO the point. Mile marker one has me all jazzed. Mile marker three I'm a little concerned about visibility. Mile marker five I can't see thirty feet in front of me. Some bird expert passes me on his way back. "Nice tripod you got there." "Thanks. You want it? Cause I came here to die apparently.." He fell down laughing. We both dropped our packs and compared gear. Suddenly I was my wife comparing shoes with her girlfriends. So I asked the guy as I packed back up, "Am I still in California?" He told me to come again another day, "Before the fog comes." "Before the fog?" I asked. "I thought fog burns off as the day goes on." Two steps from vanishing into the fog he turns over his shoulder and says "Everywhere else on the planet, maybe, but not here.." I almost cried - once he was out of sight of course.

Two hours later I was discovered by three Vultures - talking to myself. "OK so I'm not saying I'll ever even see the truck again. So this is just for fun... But can you even imagine what it would be like to actually take this pack off? Or to drink again??"

The fog was so thick my face was soaked. Or maybe it was sweat. Or maybe it was tears. All I know is I left the house at 7am, drove five hours, hiked from here to Oregon and got home by 8pm. I ran the camera a total of five minutes..

You can bet any part of your anatomy I used that footage though. I had to.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM   #191
Inner Circle

Things that I was reminded of in shooting this film:

1. Adding a 1.7x Tele adapter to a Sony FX1 won't get you sufficient reach for a lot of nature shooting.

2. Teleextenders add or magnify CA, and degrade the image.

3. Birds on the wing are hard to follow.

4. I need to dedicate more time to field shooting for these projects. For some reason our subjects just don't show up when we want them to be there. Be prepared to hurry up and wait.

5. Sometimes you do get a lucky shot, or are in the right place at the right time, and may actually even have your camera rolling at the right moment.

5. Narrator needed !
Old February 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM   #192
New Boot

My first entry....

Well, I´m happy to say that at least I have uploaded "something" :o) which has been my main goal this time. Getting started!

There has been lots of wonders and woes, but I think the hardest part has been finding the time. Both to come up with an idea, and then putting that idea into life. But I have learned a lot. This is fun :o)

Looking forward to the next challenge!

Espen
Espen Skjold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:24 PM   #193
New Boot

...or maybe not!

I have tried to upload 4 times now, but it crashes all the time...

1. time after 64%, the next times around 14%. Scheise!

I´ve been trying since 23.40 and now it´s 02.00. I am trying this last time, and if it doesn´t work... bye-bye t-shirt!

Espen :o(
Espen Skjold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:37 PM   #194
Trustee

Sent you an email. Let me know.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:38 PM   #195
Major Player

Espen if you're having trouble call in the troops. Meryem and Kevin were very helpful to me. I was having similar trouble and they worked it out. Don't give up, it gets tougher as the deadline closes in.

<edit>... Or, the troops will call you!
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge