Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #7 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 4th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #16
Major Player

Thanks Markus guess you can really relate to my problem. Also look forward to seeing some more of your awesome underwater footage - or is it going to be spelunking (caves) this time?

Oh by the way, before I get shot down across the globe for suggesting butterflies and birds as an adventure topic you need to understand that I am totally facscinated by animal and bird behaviour and the macro world of butterflies, so please forgive me - I really could find material for an adventure there!
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #17
Wrangler

geez, you took an XL2 up with you? that is quite an adventure. looking forward to the film!

my tale of woe is that i had film festival duties on saturday and then had to spend sunday watching the Super Bowl....great game, but not much footage!

went out this morning but a front came through and socked us in with fog. had fun stomping around the mountains with my old doggie, though.

guess i might as well send that e-mail around to jurgen, since i can't shoot anything...

that's a good look for you, brian, really brings out the inner you....!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marj Atkins View Post
Thanks Markus guess you can really relate to my problem. Also look forward to seeing some more of your awesome underwater footage - or is it going to be spelunking (caves) this time?
Maybe something with both. But I’m not telling… :) (do you read mines?)
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #19
Wrangler

ok, jurgen, an official mass e-mail is circulated, so no more excuses, get out there and shoot something! i already told the world wide community in a radio interview that Belgium is in the Challenge, so your country's representation rests entirely on your shoulders, lad!

oh, the pressure!

and marj, birding and butterflying definitely qualifies as a form of adventure--in fact, almost anything can fit the mold, as promised. it's more about the approach this round, than the topic itself. adventure is where you find it...
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Hi Marj, now you have introduced an up to now unused dimention to the uwol challenge... The Airborne!
I'm really looking forward to see the finished video.

So far I have filmed some, but not sure if I can get anything useful out of it.
I'll probably have to get out again and find something new.
My brain is working overtime trying to come up with a good story.

GOOD LUCK, everyone! Hope we all manage to make a film before the deadline.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
ok, jurgen, an official mass e-mail is circulated, so no more excuses, get out there and shoot something! i already told the world wide community in a radio interview that Belgium is in the Challenge, so your country's representation rests entirely on your shoulders, lad!

oh, the pressure!
well after this and many other replies on my "backing-down" I'll promise to try my best, Belgium represented!

(but we don't have any mountians tho :p )
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #22
Wrangler

nice! that's what we like to hear! go after it, fella!
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #23
Major Player

Jurgen

I've been to Belgium numerous times and every time was an adventure....I always started by drinking beer and end with drinking beer.....some hellish good adventures, what I remember of them that is :)

Good Luck

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #24
Major Player

Mines Markus - wow - a veritable rabbit-hole! now I'm "curiouser and curiouser"!
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Well I've worked out my script and storyboard, every single shot and it's length and position, and I can see the whole thing in my head but I can't start shooting till next week which is so frustrating ( on holiday with the family next week) but I should have most of the audio done this week so I reckon I'll bring it home.

However I'm a bit daunted by you experienced guys.
David Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #26
Trustee

Wow, allot of you people are so organized!
I just get sort of an idea. Never really flesh it out then just go out shooting and see what I get. Then usually around the last day or two before the deadline, I take a look at what I have and try to put something together.

Unless I'm on a trip somewhere it's kind of hard to predict with any certainty what I'll find around here to film unless it's corn fields and soybean fields. :)

Anyway, in about the last hour of light yesterday, I managed to get out in an incredible snowstorm.

I knew from past experience that my mattebox would do a good job of shielding the lens from the snow.

So, I headed out into the woods to do some shooting.

It was a magical experience. It was so quiet you could hear the larger flakes hitting the dry leaves on the forest floor.

I probably could have shot more before the light faded but I was just so moved by the moment that I took allot of time just taking it in.

It's moments like those that are priceless to me.

I tried uploading a couple of images here but the uploader only works about once every twenty times for me. :(
Old February 4th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #27
Trustee

Weather is not the problem. It was a beautiful day here in Central Florida. I just can't seem to come up with a topic that fits the theme.

I think I will be taking a swim with the sharks this time. Adventure? Yikes! Nothing comes to mind. Nothing I could actually shoot, that is.
Old February 4th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Now that would be an adventure,,,,, swimming with sharks, that is....
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #29
Major Player

My tails of woe (so far):

I'm anxious to finally read my first theme post, but when I do I don't quite get it. Something about rabbits on adventures? So I go to the new UWOL site to try and get a feel for how themes typically pan out. Finally it hits me - "Just go out and shoot something dufus. And have fun."

But since the moment I came to understand the theme, to now, I keep thinking of picking tile patterns and colors with my clients over the years. Back in the day it was easy - "You can have yellow, white, blue or black." Took most people ten minutes to decide. But now? Good lord now they need a designer, an architect, and six weeks to thumb through all the different colored and textured samples. It's kind of like this "Adventure" challenge. While I do understand and appreciate the generalness of this theme, holy moses I can't figure out which way to face the camera!

So I asked my wife, "Babe, I've been waiting months for this. Now I'm stuck. What do I do?" Her response was simple, and quick - "Look up. Lots of times people forget to look up."

Girl's a genius.

Good luck to everyone!
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback View Post
Wow, allot of you people are so organized!
I just get sort of an idea. Never really flesh it out then just go out shooting and see what I get. Then usually around the last day or two before the deadline, I take a look at what I have and try to put something together.
You and me both, Kevin. This is how several of my films have been made too.

I'm off to the woods and mountains today to see if I can discover some adventurus moments. Hopefully it stops raining, or I will have to talk my camera into liking the wet enviroment.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge