Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #7 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 5th, 2008, 05:14 AM   #31
Major Player

Hi all

You are not alone Trond and Kevin,I was totaly lost on frayday on the thema.
And weery worry about the wether,here it cold easy reining in tree week.
But suterday ther come a litle hope,I now I was in hurry went out and.
Then it went as a wind and the storry only came.

Good luck to you all!!!
Thing turn fast.

VJV.

Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #7-ice-1.jpg   Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #7-ice-2.jpg  

Vidar Vedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #32
Trustee

Vidar,

Those are some nice shots there! Love the light on the icicles.
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #33
Major Player

That's it Kevin - you keep getting out there and thinking of an adventure to film! It's been too long since we've seen your mastery of that camera.

My wife and I are taking our children out of school early on Friday to head up the river for the weekend. I have quite an adventure visualised however, it will be interesting how the end result works out. Regardless, it's gonna be a lot of fun!
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #34
Trustee

You know me David, my stuff is more fluff than story, but that's the kind of stuff I like to do.

We're supposed to get another 6 to 10 inches of snow today so I may see if I can get out and do some more filming before it gets to bad.

Course, today isn't starting off to well. I just tried to update my iPod and now it seems that it has crashed. Let's hope the rest of the day gets better. :)
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #35
Major Player

Steven,

I feel your pain. And I'm supposed to know what I'm doing when it comes to adventure video - but I don't have anyone to make swim with sharks for me to film. :(

So, no Wonder here. But lots of Woe. Well, I am Wondering if I'm going to get an idea before the submit date. =D
Old February 5th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Gotz View Post
Weather is not the problem. It was a beautiful day here in Central Florida. I just can't seem to come up with a topic that fits the theme.

I think I will be taking a swim with the sharks this time. Adventure? Yikes! Nothing comes to mind. Nothing I could actually shoot, that is.
Steven, no topic?? But you have a fantacy world "next door" to you. I'm sure you can come up with something cool this time too. "Steven exploring wonderland"... ummm yeah, that could be a topic for you.
Besides, the sharks are not ready for your company yet. :)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Good morning,

I appreciate all the trouble dealing with the theme. I spent most of last night trying to sleep but continually running through my mind different possibilities.

One theme I really need a second man and that wont likly happen. the other I just do not know if it will wash well enough.

I shot some real nice footage, got home and played it and it seemed to grainy!! I accidently left the gain on +6 from doing my moon shoot awhile back!!! Uggggg.

I should know better!!! and I need to do as Per Johan wrote, checking all his gear the night before!!!

While I am prone to operate like Kevin, general idea, shoot and then assemble.

I am actually going to set down and try to at least make a shot list and narative.

time is passing by!!! fast.
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Middleton View Post
So, no Wonder here. But lots of Woe. Well, I am Wondering if I'm going to get an idea before the submit date. =D
Ah me too!! When I don't sign up for these things I have a bunch of ideas....as soon as I join in, my mind locks up.
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #39
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
I accidently left the gain on +6 from doing my moon shoot awhile back!!! Uggggg.
now that is a tale of woe. it's always some dumb thing, isn't it? forgot my tripod plate is my favorite boneheaded thing to do...

i'm still kicking around my idea. i have a bunch of ideas, no footage yet, but don't think i will get any footage until this weekend. i was hoping to avoid shooting snow scenics, but after yesterday, looks like snow it is!

nice looking pics, vidar!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #40
Major Player

No ice down here. I got a few shoots on Monday, 75 and sunny. Most of the cast I'd planned to shoot left town so now I need a rewrite. Now a "cold" front is coming through, 60, so I'm waiting for the rain to clear. My wife is coaching her elementary school’s Destiny Imagination team. I’m hoping to get them to help with the animal character voices.

Wow, this can’t be happening. I’m starting two weeks before the deadline. I’m sure something’s got to give. Watch out for Murphy’s Law.
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #41
Trustee

Meryem, I'll trade you some Colorado snow scenics for some Iowa snow scenics? :)

We're supposed to get about a foot of snow tonight.

Went out again today in the snowstorm. The flakes were allot bigger today and falling much slower.

Witnessed a scene that took my breath away. Haven't looked at the footage yet but was so happy to be out there it really doesn't matter if I got it or not.

Once again, the silence was incredible. Hopefully tomorrow I can get out early and spend the day in the forest filming.

I guess it depends on how fierce the winds whip up tonight.
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #42
Regular Crew

I used to live where it snowed, the silence during a snowfall was exquisite. I miss that about snow sometimes.

I have an idea for this and am in the process of shooting it now, I just hope I can get it all done and uploaded in time.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #43
Trustee

"silence during a snowfall was exquisite"

Hear hear !!! lovely :-)
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #44
Major Player

Well this is it I have everything arranged for this weekend. The forecast calls for sunny and clear with zero cloud cover. However the woe is the temperature, at this moment it's -40F the wind chill is -69F the XL2's rating is +32F to +40F so needless to say that camera will stay at home.

The plan is to use one of my old Hi8 kits, if I destroy it oh well not to big a loss.

I don't know if my idea is an adventure or not but I sure as hell know it's going to be a challenge to keep from getting frost bite.

I'll let you know on Sunday if I'm swimming with the sharks or not.....

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McKay View Post
However the woe is the temperature, at this moment it's -40F the wind chill is -69F the XL2's rating is +32F to +40F so needless to say that camera will stay at home.
Brian, with those temperatures I would recommend this cover for your XL2:
Portabrace Polar Bear
I'm using one for my XM2, and even with temperatures of around -25C, the camera has been working in about +10C inside the cover.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge