Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #7 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 13th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #91
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
Shoot (with film that is) those buzzards over the golf course..... sounds like an adventure to me....
Especially if they just found themselves one of your golfers you mentioned, Steven! CSI will even be there! Make sure to get some video of those Hummer H2's they apparently drive around in here in FL. ;)
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #92
Wrangler

aw, man! no disney world?? dang!

that was the cornerstone of our whole "our world, your vision" diversity program!

while the rest of us are trotting the globe in search of nature's exotica, we could always count on a trip to disney world at the end of this thing. what a letdown!

and Cat, glad to see you weren't sucked into a giant snowbank or blown away by the 80 mph winds!

of course, it's hard to beat Brian for the Nasty Weather prize, but it has not been easy shooting in these parts lately....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #93
Major Player

Ya...who!....On the way home today I had an idea....
Did some research after work...and it might work....
There's somethin' special just a few miles from my house and if the weather is good this weekend....I...might...just....have...somethin'....

At least there is hope.... :)
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #94
Trustee

Go for it Bob! I'm all for hope. Hope is a wonderful, powerful thing.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #95
Major Player

My last two UWOL shooting trips found me in glorious places, but blindingly soaked in pea soup fog. I had the location right, but I got the timing all wrong. So today I tried again, only this time I headed south instead - and again to a place I had never been before. No need to leave at 5am like I did though - When I got there I was surrounded yet again, by fog. You'd think I was shooting in England...

I'm still not sure exactly how this will be an adventure on tape, but it sure has been one to shoot.

Glad everyone seems to be doing well. I'm still struggling, but getting better by the hour.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #96
Major Player

So nice to see you back Cat. Hope you didn’t go through too much trauma to get that concussion and hope you are feeling a lot better now.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #97
Major Player

Funny Moment...

My wife and I were looking at Per's picture of the eagle eating the fox and I called out to my 11 year old son Arran, "Hey Arran, come and have a look at what Per's filming for UWOL 7" (my son knows who I mean when I say Per). He looked at the picture and said "Dad, don't worry about filming UWOL this time - as your wasting your time". I quickly reminded him that winning wasn't everything, and he just grinned in sympathy as he patted my back. My wife and I just looked at each other and laughed.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #98
Trustee

LOL, that was the best story I have heard for a long time :-)))))
David, tell your son which I think is a BIG fan of me, that I have to come and visit him one day!
But, you must also tell him to have more faith to his own father!!! And there is much more to get a decent film than just a razor sharp and stunning footage. Think I'm struggling a bit to get my story through!
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #99
Trustee

Hi Marj:

On the mend! I think all I need now is a good South African adventure to push me to a full recovery. Looking forward to what you've cooked up for us!

David:

Too funny! Tell Arron that his dad has wowed us many a time with his entries, right along with Per, and UWOL just wouldn't be what it is without him!

We are getting close now.... I'm starting to feel that craving to submerge myself in UWOL film and adventure!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #100
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gulbransen View Post
I'm still not sure exactly how this will be an adventure on tape, but it sure has been one to shoot.
well, i'm glad to see that someone is finally getting the point!

i'm editing a bit this morning. still need footage, but i won't be getting what i need in this current snowstorm, bah...no time yesterday and it was 65 degrees, lots of time this morning, and it's dumping again. grrrrrr...

buck up, david, you've made some awesome stuff....the interesting thing this year will be to see if UWOL can crown its first-ever 2-time winner. should be tough for everyone, there's some serious contenders joining the fray, i'm betting! besides, our kids are always the last people on the planet to appreciate how remarkably talented we are...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #101
Inner Circle

Meryem,

Was curious if you sent out the uploading details as yet? Not that i am ready, but i am getting there.

HAVING A TUFF TIME WITH A NARATIVE!!!

AND YOU WERE GOING TO MAKE THIS AN EASY ONE!!!!!
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #102
Major Player

Well, Robin and I have wrapped up this challenge, since we are off later this week for a few days as part of her mid winter break to visit an old friend of mine in CA. He and I used to do recording trips around the world, making environmental albums and wildlife sound installations. So we will reminisce, while Robin can hopefully avoid being bored :)

I also wanted to let everyone know we were busy during the UWOL break the past few months. If anyone wants to see our videos, they are posted on our rockfowl.com and naturepalooza.com sites. We posted them all to revver.com starting last week, and I am proud to say that as of today, Marvelous Mammals is on the first page of their editor's picks. So our UWOL entry is being seen beyond the contest!

I'm looking forward to seeing all the video adventures here on UWOL soon-the anticipation is building with all the exciting field reports.

Ruth

Last edited by Ruth Happel; February 15th, 2008 at 12:21 AM. Reason: typo
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #103
Major Player

Hi Guys,

Per; Yes, like all of us, my son is a big fan of yours, and would love you to visit us down us. Actually, you stay there and we'll come to you whilst visiting my country of birth - Scotland. When in Scotland I practiced the sport of falconry for many years however, it is illegal in Australia. So I haver a real affinity with your Golden Eagle entry.

Meryem; with three competitive young boys, I have learned to become very resilient - especially when they say "Dad wouldn't be able to do that...". Then again, that wakeboard Arran got for his birthday has done something to my back. They might have a point sometimes.

Cat; Hope your entry is coming along. Actually, you probably have adventures on the farm all the time! I am struggling big time, but will come up with something.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #104
Major Player

Has anyone else ever gotten the eerie feeling while out there shooting, that WE are the ones being watched?

I'm shooting a cute little chipmunk of a bird yesterday when for some strange reason, and spurred on by not one ounce of a sound, I look up over my right shoulder, and....

YIKES!

This adventure is getting interesting
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #7-vulture2.jpg  
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #105
Trustee

wow Eric thats some close up! Maybe he thought the chipmunk might try and knock you off and he fancied a scrap or two!

oh and is this a secret bird of prey round or something ? :-)
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge