DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Please welcome our judge for UWOL #7.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/114030-please-welcome-our-judge-uwol-7-a.html)

Meryem Ersoz February 5th, 2008 11:38 AM

Please welcome our judge for UWOL #7....

Our judge for UWOL #7 is Mr. Adventure Himself: Jonathan Copp.

His brief bio:

Jonny Copp, born in Singapore in ‘74, has had his passport stolen by a monkey in India, been stuck in a crevasse for four days in the Himalaya, been given a test run with a machine-gun in Pakistan, been robbed in Reno, and has starved in Patagonia. He is known for his climbing, photography, writing and high level alpinism. He has made cutting edge first ascents of some of the steepest walls and mountains worldwide. Jonathan's photography, writing and video footage has been used in magazines, books and movies.

He has climbed serious, first ascents in Argentina, Pakistan, Chile, Alaska, the Himalaya, the Yukon and other steep places. He is known for rock, ice, and alpinism including the first alpine style ascent of Grade VII (longest vertical climbs in the world). He applies the idea that less is more in terms of equipment and supplies, and still believes that the summit means something but that ascent style is everything. He’s been the recipient of many grants to fund explorations and is a climbing ambassador to a number of organizations & companies. Jonny’s photography, writing and video has been published in magazines, journals, books and film. He is also available to guide, shoot, document, rig and give presentations.

--------

Jonny is a world class adventurer, alpinist, photographer, and climber. He is also the founder and director of the Boulder Adventure Film Festival here in Boulder (where we screened 2 UWOL films last year...), in an Outdoor Video Producer's workshop. He has shot photos and video in some of the most extreme outdoor environments.

Plus--he's an all-around nice guy! Doing good things for the planet and good things here at home!

You can read all about his wild global travel exploits and check out his stunning photo work at www.coppworks.com --

and about his work establishing an amazing film festival locally:

www.boulderadventurefilm.org

His account at DVinfo is still pending activation, but please give him the usual warm UWOL welcome!

Trond Saetre February 5th, 2008 12:54 PM

Welcome to the uwol friendship, Jonathan!

Your awesome experience makes you the perfect choice to judge this adventure theme.

Mat Thompson February 5th, 2008 01:17 PM

A big fat uwol welcome to ya Jonathan! Some stunning photography on your site. I was in Grindelwald last weekend. I've always wanted to see the Eiger after hearing/reading so much about it.....don't fancy climbing it though, isn't that what ski lifts are for ;-) !

Meryem Ersoz February 5th, 2008 01:18 PM

Announcing this year's 6-Challenge Incentive...

deleted...

Geir Inge February 5th, 2008 03:18 PM

Glad to have you onboard the uwol ship Mr Jonathan Copp.

Regards
Geir Inge

Kevin Railsback February 5th, 2008 08:17 PM

Jonathan,

Welcome to the UWOL Challenge. Your photography is incredible.

We're all hard at work to make your job very difficult. :)

Gordon Hoffman February 6th, 2008 08:01 AM

Welcome to the Challenge Jonathan!

Gordon

Dale Guthormsen February 6th, 2008 11:14 AM

Jonathan,

I enjoyed your web page, great pictures to be sure.

Thank you for taking on the job.

David Gemmell February 6th, 2008 04:08 PM

Hey Johny,
Welcome to UWOL!
Just been enjoying looking at some of the photos within your web site. Life's certainly been an adventure for you. Hope you enjoy judging the many mini adventures we're all about to embark on.
Great to have you on board.
David

Marj Atkins February 6th, 2008 10:38 PM

Welcome Jonny. You certainly have an eye for things that would escape most of us. Your work is absolutely stunning and inspiring. Look forward to hearing your comments.

Catherine Russell February 14th, 2008 10:55 AM

Welcome Jonathan!

Welcome to the UWOL adventure. I don't envy your position as judge but I sure do admire your courage!

Have fun!

Cat

Ruth Happel February 14th, 2008 11:54 PM

Hi Jonathan,

It sounds like you've had lots of adventures, so this month's theme is certainly appropriate for you! I like the story about the monkey stealing your passport. I used to study monkeys, and have had lots of things stolen from them as well- though never a passport! Welcome to UWOL, and thanks for offering to judge the contest.

Ruth