UWOL #7 ”A dark side” by Markus Nord at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL #7 ”A dark side” by Markus Nord

Hello UWOL team…

film title: A dark side (24_UC7_adarkside.mov)

My film for the Adventure theme is a cave diving film. I met up with Nicklas Myrin, a cavediver and head of the dive section in the Swedish Speleological society. He is a good friend of me. We drove to a bedrock ridge south of Stockholm (capital of Sweden), that cracked opened a couple of years ago (pre ice age). This area is a maze of cave where boulders have fallen down in the cracks. Some of the cracks are so deep (approx 10 meters) that ground water has pressed up and flooded them.

For this film I reused my webTV idea, ‘cause the theme fitted so good for a webTV. The equipment I used was my XL2 and the wide angle lens (UW and OL) and one of my video lights (the other one broke before entering the water). For “second unit” I used my old TRV-950 for two shots (when my XL2 was in the housing). I hade only one attempt for the UW shots, ‘cause the visibility is gone as soon as you stop or swim. This is the hardest place I have ever film in, it’s tight, no room for error and really hard for lighting (big risk for backscatter). I hope the shot are good enough…

Later this year we (10 people) are heading up north in Sweden to a cave system the have not been explored yet… this film was a test for me to check how to operate my camera in this conditions.

I would like to thank Spheric Lounge for the music.
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Wrangler

a most interesting adventure, indeed. pretty creepy stuff. i don't know that i'd follow you on this one! still, it's cool that you bring us to these remote corners of the world, markus....

i think we gave you the feedback that we'd like to know more about the gear, now i have to take it back! the explanation of the gear seemed like it took too long, like your friend could have said the same thing in a shorter time, because it did not leave enough time in the creepy cave!

but hey, then again, i'm not making films in my 2nd language either, and i think that is probably why the explanation ended up a bit lengthy and threw the pacing of the whole, off a bit.

great subject, but the pacing probably needs massaged. squeezing the adventure of a lifetime, in a remote location, into 3 minutes is definitely a challenge...i just wanted more cave time, this round...i know, i'm fickle.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #3
Trustee

Whoa, that was scary, erie and wonderful all at the same time!

You know the explanation may have ate up a bit more of the three minutes than it should but I think explaining it was important to explain how the gear was specialized for these types of dives. Your format was that of a web TV show so I thought that was appropriate.

The music was totally appropriate for this piece.

In this small format, I kind of lost you in the establishing shot with the green sweatshirt against the green foliage. Red would have really made you stand out there.

Very cool film!
Old February 24th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Trustee

Amazing footage, Marcus....

I think I would have been one of those who find themselves panicking as the last thing they did in a place like that. I can't imagine how difficult that filming actually was, with such low visibility and in such cramped dangerous conditions. Well done. I found myself wanting the entire 3 minutes dedicated to the actual cave action and forgoing the rest.

Impressive!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #5
Major Player

You sir are a brave man.....I don't even like dry caves....
Old February 24th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #6
Trustee

Interesting piece Markus, second what Meryem and Kevin says about the introduction lenght, but I think it's wise of you to warn about the danger this type of diving can be!
I'm not a diver myself, so for me this kind of thing will only be a dream. But you are very clever to tell about how it is to be into that cave. To me this was very nice and your filming which I think is very technical difficult to archieve, you did very well.
Old February 25th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #7
Major Player

Thank you all for viewing

Meryem – I agree with you about the intro time, as you mention about the explanation about the gear is a bit too long, but you answer you question – 2nd language…
I could probably have cut in his explanation but I wanted to use it al. too bad that I didn’t have more time for the cave.

Kevin – Thanks for you words. As you write, I think that the time (but it could be better) of explanation ok, because of the important information. I didn’t think of the green shirt during that time, but I agree with you about that I’m nearly disappearing in to the green background.

Cat – It is really important to just stay calm, but this kind of adventure is not for everyone. I would have like to get 30 extra seconds just to expand the cave part. The biggest problem was that I have only visit this cave one time before, and during that time the visibility was so poor that I didn’t get a good feeling how the cave looked like. So during this filming I “explored” the cave at the same time as I tried to film it.

Bob – Well, I don’t know about brave, curious my be a better word :)

Per Johan – I thought that it was important to just make that statement so people to go out and caving without proper equipment. This was a good experience for me, before I just got experience from flooded mines that we explore, but this gave me a better idea how it will be during our expedition in north of Sweden next month.

Cheers
Markus
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:14 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Markus

A realy facinating film,but I cant understend how you awoid
to not get claus in this cave.You shud have been her on the West-Coast
I now about an old 1700 Silver mine resting allone full of wahter.

Good -Jobb

VJV.

Old February 25th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #9
Major Player

Vidar - I send you a mail about the silver mine. The cave is big enough for me to get thro the restrictions, and I'm not a small guy... :) that way I got a big camera, if the camera doesn’t get thro, I don't ether.
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Markus:

Okay, you managed to wrap up most of my phobias into one film. The only thing you needed to add was a thousand foot shear rock wall climb to get to the cave. You are truly an adventurous man. Nice job.

Since you were into explaining gear, would like to have seen some of your actual underwater film gear, too.
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #11
Major Player

Chris - We shall se what theme Meryem comes up with; maybe something I can incorporate some more equipment. Even if the film was a bit “phobic” for you, I hope you enjoyed it.
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I enjoyed the film, I too wanted to see more cave. I agree 3 minutes just isn't enough time when you have such a fascinating subject. It was interesting to hear how the tanks need to be setup on the side rather than on your back.

Good work, I look forward to your next entry.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #13
Trustee

Markus....you're crazy :-) ! I've dived once in near zero viz and I have to say as you said in your film you really have to keep your head. That was in open water so to be also enclosed by rock....well, certainly an adventure to say the least. I really liked your format again and your UW shots were creepy but exciting. I think the intro interview went on a bit long and could have used breaking up in some way with cut aways of gear details or facial close ups. I'd have also liked a bit more UW footage but I think what you had was great for the condition your working in. You certainly pick difficult working environment fella.

Nice piece!

What depth/ dive time did you get ?
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Hei Markus,

You made a good story here, and I loved the underwater shots.
As others have commented, I would like to see more of that, and just had a short intro.
But all in all, a nice film I enjoyed to watch.
The web-tv is a cool theme.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Markus,

first, you do not dissappoint!!!

I would definitely be out of my element down there!!! to spooky for me. Heck I would likly get lost and never find my way out!!

spelunking in dry caves is wild enough!!

Definitely qualifies as high adventure!!!

Like several this round, I want to see the half hour version!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge