UWOL #7 "Glider" by Meryem Ersoz - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 28th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #31
Major Player

Meryem, my mom AND wife went up in one of those together in Hawaii once. I was in the tow plane. Always wondered what it was like, and now I know. Very nice job capturing the scenery from such cramped quarters. I can barely do it on the ground!

Next time I'm emailing you about music.. ;- )
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 12:41 PM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post

i also have footage of the hook-up and tug, etc., but none of that coincided at the editing point--once i made the editorial selection to intercut between interiors and exteriors at take-off, then the pacing for the take-off was set by that selection...

same thing, as i said before, some of the best aerial footage didn't make it in, because with all the lapses in between acquiring clean footage and shaky footage, it would not have fit with the continuity of the subject or the feel.

oh, the tough editorial choices we have to make! so limiting, at times!
I can't "nit pick" on this one and I'm not going to, either. Showing something like this, telling some kind of a story, getting it all together and such all with a max 3 minute limit is one helluva challenge (Is that why it's called a challenge?) Flight is just plain fascinating, and glider flight has to have a special kind of magic to it and you gave us some of that.

The quiet soaring scenic from up there was worth the whole film, but I thoroughly enjoyed what you showed us in the beginning leading up to that and the footage on the landing was awesome in my book.

In my aircrew days I used to love standing behind the pilots in C130 and C47's watching as the air field grew closer, the runway loomed faster and faster. On one B50 mission I even got to ride the landing in the bombardier position forward of the pilots.

You brought some of that back for me.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:57 PM   #33
Major Player

Guess what i got given as a birthday present? Yep - a flight experience in a glider ;-) I just hope that the weather is as conducive for filming! Amazing shots from a difficult environment and very nicely summed up by the closing shot - poingant ( sp?) indeed ....
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Enjoyed your film very much. As a pilot I love any footage taken from the air. Every thing looks so beautifull from a couple of thousand feet. Looked like you had smooth air. Good footage of tow plane and your city. I hope you as much fun filming as I had watching.
Warren Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:51 AM   #35
Trustee

Hi Meryem,
Nice film! I loved the way you brought the music in later in the film rather than going with the temptation that most of us have to put music to almost everything. The first part needed no music at all. I must admit i was waiting in anticipation the whole time you were gaining altitude for the time when the tow line was released, but it never came? If it were my film, i just know that would have been the time i was fiddling with my camera for some stupid reason. Bit of a pitty you couldn't get some footage of a bird soaring high up in the air rather than the gull flapping its wings, that would have been more in line with your adventure. Looks like it must have been a great adventure though up in that glider! Jeez, the things we must do for this UWOL challenge. :)

Bryce

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge