UWOL #7 - A walk in the park by Paul Mailath at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 26th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Trustee

UWOL #7 - A walk in the park by Paul Mailath

Sorry everyone, I've been away.

Well I must say I'm disappointed - I've watched all of the film from this round in the faint hope that someone else made as many mistakes as me ... but no.

Boy there's some fantastic footage out there - it's really great watching it all.

I originally wanted to do a surfing based story but had 2nd thoughts (a bit too adventurous) but seeing what you guys did I should have gone for it.

I certainly learned lots and I'll get better (of course I may just be may be lurking at the back of the pack just to get the long odds - you never know)
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Paul:

There you are! I personally found your film to be quite inspiring and beautiful. I can honestly say that it had the big theater feel to it with smooth, skillful camera work that gave it lots of drama. Sorry I'm only giving you my impressions.... the others will pile on soon and can give you lots of critique. Thanks for the great film!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #3
Trustee

Paul,

They're not mistakes, they're creative choices. :)

Your film made me want to visit that park, it's beautiful. So, unless your goal was to ensure that no one ever visits that park then I'd say you did a fine job!

The nice thing about this forum is that we all learn from each other. I remember when Gabriel Yager entered his first film here. ( You can view it in the film vault if you want ) He wasn't very happy with it. But with each film you could see the improvement as well as his confidence as a filmmaker.

Then he found a girl and we haven't heard from him since but that's a whole nother story. :)

Anyway, back to Walk in the Park...

These are just some of my suggestions and some people will agree and some people won't. The important thing is to make the film that YOU want to make.

The opening shot is kind of nondescript.

What if you had your opening text on black faded that out then faded into the opening shot with "A Walk in the Park" titled over the rock? Or even the wide shot at about :50 to use as the master shot of your film.

Show me the park as a whole and then show me the details.

You scared the daylights out of me at :39. I was waiting for the camera to go tumbling down the cliff!

I always like to try and frame my shots with a foreground object to give the shot a feeling of depth. If you take your opening shot for instance and had something like a tree branch or some other object in the foreground it would have given it more depth. As you watch the other films see if you see that type of framing used and think about how it would look in some of your shots.

I thought the shot that started at 1:32 was a bit long. Start at 2:05 and play that and look how nice of a reveal that is. You might have even wanted to use that as an opening shot maybe.

Your music starts to swell at that point but the "prize" is a similar shot we've already kind of seen looking over the edge. When that music swells that's where you want to put the money shot. Big waves crashing or something like that will bring it home for you.

I liked the pan up at the end. Keep an eye on your horizon line though. I have a tough time keeping mine straight as well. I picked up a bubble level to help me with that.

Nice choice of music.

Hats off to you as well for finishing. We had what over 50 people sign up and just over 30 films? That says something right there fell! :)

I thought you showed us some beautiful scenery. With a little tweaking I think you won;t be doing any lurking.

Congrats Paul!
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Paul, nice film you have here. Some of the shots are quite beautiful, I especially liked the macro shots across sedimentary layers in the rock, although some shadows mixed into it would have been nice to reveal depth.

The shakiness of the bit coming up to the cliff accurately set the tone for how I would feel up that close. I don't know if that was what you were after though.

This is s good solid entry and I'm sure you will be more satisfied with your work in the future because of it. Keep shooting, can't wait to see your next one.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Paul
Nice coastline footage.I liked the pan up the hill (cliff) to show the tree's blowing in the wind. Its so good to have another player complete and post a video
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #6
Trustee

Hi Paul and congratulation on your uwol entry :)

You deliver a nice film and show us this beautiful landscape. It makes me want to go there and look for myself. Also think you've picked the right music for this one. It must have been an adventure walking the shores in the park. More and more it comes to me that the most exciting adventure can be right outside your front door. Yours just 15 min away. What a wonderful world we live in, eh? And how lucky we are to get to know different parts of it, through uwol?

Wish you all the best
Geir Inge

Last edited by Geir Inge; February 27th, 2008 at 04:13 PM.
Geir Inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #7
Trustee

Paul, what a dramatic piece you got there! I liked it alot.
With the score from a famous tv-serie from some years ago - the Onedin Line, I think it was titled, I could almost catch a glimpse of sailships in the horizon.
I second much of what have been said by the others.
Keep up your good work!
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing the awesome landscape with us. Must have been a very nice experience to be there. Seems like you were right on the edge of the cliffs, walking and filming at the same time. Scary, but you mastered it!
I enjoyed watching it, and you made me want to visit there. Well done.

I am looking forward to your future films.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 05:06 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Paul,

Well done on a nice film, in such a beautiful area. It's amazing some of the beautiful spots on our doorstep that we never seem to bother visiting.

I thought your walk in the park was filmed very well - although I was holding my breath a few times as you walk along the edge of the cliffs - and I though I had gotten over my vertigo!

I felt there were a few scenes you may have held onto for too long - particularly the pan along the cliff face towards the sea. I also would encourage you to do what Kevin mentioned with the depth in your shots and also to start wide, then intermediate, finished with a close up. Watch all the documentaries and you will see they all do this. Works beautifully.

The music was a great choice and with some of your slow pans, combined with such lovely scenes, I thought this worked well.

I read your opening comments in your feedback thread and felt you were very hard on yourself. We are all learning through each other and I certainly would not be disappointed in this entry - quite the opposite.

Well done Paul.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #10
Major Player

I certainly wouldn't have been disapointed with your entry.
It held my attention and that's the most important thing, isn't it?
Like others have said, the shot over the cliff was unnerving...especially since I'm not a fan of heights.

Great shots, beautiful park...nice!

Bob T.
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #11
Major Player

Paul, thanks for that. I'm scared of heights. Now I'm stuck on this couch for another two hours till my heart rate slows down..

Beautiful job, scenery, music. Thanks
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 05:06 AM   #12
Trustee

thanks everyone, I'm trying to go through every video again looking at the comments that have been made - it's like a giant film class - great!

I haven't commented on individual entries because I don't feel I have the right to - yet. As I improve that will change, but for the moment I'm blown away by all the entries.

It occurred to me that, this is art - we are expressing ourselves as well as our subject.

There was an hour of steadicam footage of which only 2 bits remained, the over the cliff section being one of those. It was an interesting effect that would have been quite good if it were 'steady'.

The pan along the cliff was definitely too long (I was paying too much attention to the music)

And yes it was the onedin Line! - remember those mutton chop sideburns!!!

This is fun! - when's the next one?
Old February 29th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
I haven't commented on individual entries because I don't feel I have the right to - yet. As I improve that will change, but for the moment I'm blown away by all the entries.
Oh please do comment. You earned the right by completing an entry.

I'm no expert and this is my first completion, yet I've commented on most of the videos...everyone sees something different and every opinion has value.

I've enjoyed reading the comments on my video and learned something from most of them. I would like to hear your opinion also.

Bob T.
Old February 29th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #14
Trustee

Hi Paul:

Don't be silly! Of course you have the right to comment on people's threads. Join the fun ;-).

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #15
Inner Circle

paul,

Thought I had watched and commented on all the entries, missed yours till this morning.

First, I felt the music definitely enhanced you video.

Second you have a good eye for composing your views!!

Third, to shakey when you desire to give the feeling of walking. (others will say, that is the kettle calling the pot black, as I too have plenty of trouble with this one).

I found it very tranquill and I totally enjoyed watching it!!!

A wide establishing shot to start would have been great addition.

Keep up the great work, I expect to see some great things in the near future!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge