A cool birthday treat huh :-) !!?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 5th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Trustee

A cool birthday treat huh :-) !!??

Its my birthday on Friday and I thought I'd let everyone know and gloat a bit in the process :-) that I'm now doing something pretty cool for it !!

Meeting SIR DAVID !!!! ...well a 1 hour talk about his career and Life in cold blood, then some Q&A's, then a book signing and hand shake (I hope) anyway!

Anyone got any cool questions they'd like me to ask :-) ?
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #2
Major Player

What did he think of "The Fisher King" ;-)

Man, that's a cool thing indeed.
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Mat, I'm just finished job and it's midnight over here.

I wish you all the best on your forth coming birthday :)

Ask him about:

1) How is the prosess of writing a manuscript?
2) When do they write the script?
3) How do they plan the scenes - tell a bit from the prosess?
4) What camera and lenses do they use?
5) If he should pick one memory from his career/profession, what would it be?

What a birthday present it would be to meet him - I'm jealous :)

All the best

Geir Inge
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

"Who is sir david "
might be a great question too
google helped me, and I learned something! seems like an intresting person to meet
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #5
Trustee

Sorry Jurgen, thought everyone would know who I meant.....just in case follow the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Attenborough

Rob.....now thats a good question ;-) !
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #6
Trustee

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRIEND!

Friday, March 7..... Hmmmm I can tell it's going to be a wonderful day. I think I just might kick something your way for that.....

Visit with Sir David? I don't think you can top that for a birthday treat... except perhaps to visit with both he and his brother Richard at the same time....

Personally, I think you should hand him a DVD of your material as a little gift. I think he would enjoy it immensely don't you? You have such talent, Mat. I think he would be over joyed. Just Do IT!

Cato
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Mat,

Happy Birthday! What a great way to celebrate :)

I'm not sure if you're serious about a question, but I've had one for a long time. Quite a while ago I did my thesis research on primates in Sierra Leone, West Africa. That is where he got an early start on his career- Zoo Quest, with the rockfowl. I saw the rockfowls there, which gave me the name of my website, since they are such neat birds. I would love to know more about his experiences with the rockfowl. I have read a few things by him over the years about his experiences in Sierra Leone, but there's nothing like hearing it straight from him. So if you do get a chance to chat with him, ask more about his experiences in Sierra Leone with the rockfowl.

And Cat is right, give him a DVD as your birthday gift to him ;)

Have a great time!

Ruth
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:31 AM   #8
Major Player

WAAAAAAAA! I HATE YOU MAT!!! no I don't, I'm just so jealous of you. Meeting Sir David… WOW!

My question would be; How do you se/think the near future in Wildlife film will look like? Will they become more telling about conservation or still show the beauty without a pointing finger?
I just viewed the last disk in Planet Earth and the talk a lot about what this type of program have done and Sir David meting Cousteau as ne of the most important person for telling people about conservation and partially about the whales (just for the record, I thing that Sir David is the main person for telling about wildlife conservation al over the globe).

I think your hour will last for a lifetime and be gone after a second.

Cheers
Markus
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #9
Trustee

Ruth. Yeah I read about the rock fowl and Zoo quest in his biography a few years back. There was a lot about those early days that was very interesting. so much was unseen and un-discovered. - I'm not sure about a 'chat' but apparently there is a Q&A session at the end, so maybe I'll try and ask something about Zoo quest :-)

"I think your hour will last for a lifetime and be gone after a second" - I think you are so right fella. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Whatever happens I'll be trying for a photo for the website!

Cheers guys
Old March 7th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #10
Regular Crew

David Attenborough has got to be the No 1 person any wildlife filmmaker, pro or amateur, would want to meet.

He was inspirational in my interest in wildlife as a young teenager, I read the early books of his travels avidly and with great imaginings that I would be the next Attenborough...it hasn't happened but I've seen some wonderful things and I'm trying to ensure my kids see some of this planets animals and habitats before they disappear... and a great number will.

His recent BBC series on reptiles was just absolutely fantastic, the photography was topnotch and his authority and presentation on the subject unbeatable..if you haven't seen it yet prepared to be awed

For a number of reasons he has become probably the pre-eminent non-political voice for the natural wonders of this planet, I dont see any individual who could take his place at the moment, and maybe that's the way it should be, but it falls to us all with the knowledge of the wildlife, and abilities to film and present those images to the world to do so, pro or amateur.

If I could ask him a question I'd ask him if he could spare a couple of hours one Sunday and I'd buy him lunch.

David
David Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #11
Inner Circle

happy birthday Mat!!!

Dale
Old March 7th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #12
Wrangler

yes, happy birthday my friend, and i'm very happy that you are having this opportunity to meet your hero. a very excellent gift indeed!

i agree that you should give him a copy of The Fisher King and thank him for inspiring your work...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #13
Trustee

Seems like I'm late on a lot of things. (Just now viewing a lot of the UWOL7 films!)

I won't ask you the number...And since I'm late on the well wishes I just want to say I know the day you had planned has to be a very memorable one for you. I wish you the best only in the years to come.

I enjoy your films very much.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Happy late birthday, Mat.

Hope you had a great experience meeting Sir David.
You are a lucky fellow!!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Thompson View Post
Its my birthday on Friday and I thought I'd let everyone know and gloat a bit in the process :-) that I'm now doing something pretty cool for it !!

Meeting SIR DAVID !!!! ...well a 1 hour talk about his career and Life in cold blood, then some Q&A's, then a book signing and hand shake (I hope) anyway!
?
Okay Mat, you're not giving .. so I'll pop the question .. how did it go?!!!
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge