a dark side... the real thing! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 19th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #1
Major Player

a dark side... the real thing!

Hello UWOL family!

As I wrote in my info text about my film in UC7 I explained that I and 12 more diver was planning a expedition up to northern Sweden. 7 of Mars we left Stockholm and headed up to Jämtland and a limestone area where Sweden’s longest dry cave are located. Just 9 km north of this cave a river floats from Norway to Sweden and after 700 m on the Swedish side the river disappears down into the ground and appears 3,5 km down the valley. We entered the cave thru a small sump/lake and after a very narrow restriction a huge (200-500 cm wide/50-250 cm high) cave system opened up. We explored up to 400m cave and map 150m and this is just the beginning of the cave. This it the longest under water cave system in Sweden.

The Swedish TV is broadcasting a 2.30 min report from the expedition tonight (19 mars -08) and this is my first airtime. This is a link to the webTV:
http://svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?...82&lpos=lasmer

If you like to view some more pictures check this site (site in Swedish, but direct link to photo albums):
http://www.dykarna.nu/photoAlbum/alb...16937&userId=1
http://www.dykarna.nu/photoAlbum/alb...39&userId=4335
http://www.dykarna.nu/photoAlbum/alb...&albumId=16980

I hope you enjoy…
Cheers from Sweden
/Markus
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Well done Markus, you must be very proud ;-)
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #3
Trustee

Markus, fantastic. Congradulations on getting onto the tele. I watched the clip, very interesting, wish I could understand it but, the video said it all. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #4
Trustee

Hey Markus

Well done fella....great work! Nice footage too. I think you are crazier than ever now. I love diving but in those closed conditions it would feel very alien indeed....you guys certainly are explorers! What depths were involved?

I'm reading 'The Last Dive' at the moment and it gives lots of background about the origins of cave diving, its dangers and leading figures. Have you read it?
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #5
Major Player

How about that Marcus! What did I tell you! Congratulations and well done on a first of many to come I'd say!
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 01:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks guys...
What the speaker is telling is basically what I wrote above. She also telling about that the water is zero degrees centigrade. The clip with the fish (a Trout) she asking the team leader about the fish and he is explaining about our meeting with this fish, some of them didn't what us in the cave I think :)

Mat, we dived at a max depth of 14 meter. I'm not much of a book reader, but I have read some part of the book.

Thanks again
Markus
Old March 20th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #7
Wrangler

you people astonish me! what an accomplished lot you are...ambitious, too.

markus, that's so cool! what amazing stories you have to tell...

you are gonna save the baltic sea, i can tell...if anyone can do it...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 04:53 AM   #8
Trustee

Markus,
finally I was viewing your broadcast report. This is awesome to watch, and scary too! Those cave walls was not wide?!
But I understand that everything went well and that you manage to get a good overall view of the cave system.
I was not aware of those caves even if it almost on the border to Norway. I think you guys could do a longer and more in depth program about this cave-system, should be very interesting to watch.
Old March 25th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #9
Major Player

During this week I was filming a lot, both above and under water. One more filmmaker joined during one day and we hade a chat about how to produce the film. What we decided to do was to produce a “pilot” to pitch at different TV station to se if we can get some money to a real production. I’m 100% sure that this area and the cave have a potential to be broadcast international. The cave is unique and the nature around a just beautiful and totally untouched.

Thank you all for believing in me and your support.

Cheers
Markus
Attached Thumbnails
a dark side... the real thing!-markus_web.jpg  
Old March 31st, 2008, 03:35 AM   #10
Trustee

Hey Markus,
Where do i sign up for UWOL WebTV? Give us more please! Like your last video, this too was great to watch. Very informative, & great camerawork. I wish i could offer some constructive comments, but from my point of view, you have a great format with the WebTV thing, & you have yet again put together another fantastic entry.

Bryce

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge