DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Week Away (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/117639-week-away.html)

Dale Guthormsen March 23rd, 2008 08:23 PM

Week Away

Good evening!!! Or is it morning??

Anyone planning to shoot uwol 8??

I am all revved up and no camera to go!!! The xl is in the shop and the gl is laying down digital squares a little to often!!!

Hummmmm??!!!

Reckon there is the player camera on the computer table!!???

can't wait to see what Meryem comes up with, she has been kind of quiet, obviously setting back there in the hills scheeming how she might mess with us this time!!!

Kevin Railsback March 23rd, 2008 09:31 PM

Dale,

Let's hope you get at least one of them up and running before then!

I'm not going to have much free time this round but will certainly give it all I can.

Already started a UWOL#8 project file in Final Cut Pro. :)

This time is always the toughest to be creative as we're in that nasty transition from Winter to Spring so everything is brown and muddy.

Adrinn Chellton March 23rd, 2008 10:18 PM

Well, I'm looking forward to squeezing another short film into my schedule. Maybe this time I'll go after a more exotic subject than the cat, time providing.

My little HG-10 has a hard time competing here amongst the pros... I think I can... I think I can... I think I can... is what I imagine it saying under it's "breath" while shooting.

I'm always impressed with the quality of the films shown here and it prods me on to improve the work I do.

Steven Gotz March 26th, 2008 03:07 PM

My Sony FX1 has been in the shop for a month awaiting parts. I feel your pain.

Eric Gulbransen March 26th, 2008 07:14 PM

I let myself down a bit since #7. It's typical of me to end up hating in a week what I absolutely loved seven days ago. Comes with the learning curve I guess. UWOL 7 was my first, in more ways than simply entering a challenge. I put a lot of effort into it and pretty much fell on my face. Some have even asked me why I entered. I couldn't tell them then as well as I can now. In the weeks since 7 closed a few lights have come on - some from advice, others from simply observing your movies. I may still fall in 8, but at least I won't trip on the same things. And that's why I entered.

Kevin Railsback March 26th, 2008 07:48 PM

Eric,

I went back and watched your film again and went back and read my comments on it.

How do you feel you fell on your face?

I still stand by my original comments none of which were even close to "Why did you even enter?"

I'd be surprised if those comments came from anyone here.

I'm sure if you asked who you consider to be the best filmmakers here, they will all tell you that they are still learning and still working to get better.
I know I am. We're all trying to get better and that's the challenge of it.

The good news is that we're all doing it together and I know I always try to give straight feedback.

It's good to be hard on yourself, I know I am my worst critic, but don't EVER let anyone tell you that you shouldn't have entered or that you should hang it up.

We all may fall in #8 but the fact that we tried our best, no one can find fault in that.

I had an opportunity to meet former UCLA coach John Wooden one on one. It was a profound experience for me. Coach has a quote that I think sums it up quite well.

"Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
John Wooden

Good luck in #8 and I look forward to seeing your work!

Eric Gulbransen March 26th, 2008 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Kevin. Nobody here asked why. I got that from a few outsiders. I don't know, maybe it's the neighborhood around here. If you don't own a small country at least, what's wrong with you... Our neighbor drives a car I'd have to pay a 30 year mortgage on. People like him asked me, "So what'd you spend all that time for?" I answered, "To learn." I guess he figured I should have learned at 25.

Trust me, I have no plans of turning back. Been telling stories for years and years - just not with moving pictures. I figure I fell on my face because after all the stories I have to tell, I neglected to tell one.

In art school, back in the day, I was told to get up every once in a while - walk to the other side of the room, then look back at what you're creating. I was painting a ship at sea. Thought it was coming along nicely too, until I looked back at it from afar. Good lord it wasn't even a ship..

I guess for a lot of people here, UWOL is like art school. At least it is for me.

And don't worry, I actually have fallen on my face at 175mph wearing nothing more than 2mm of leather and a fiberglass helmet. Binning a three minute film doesn't hurt nearly as bad.

Adrinn Chellton March 26th, 2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

People like him asked me, "So what'd you spend all that time for?" I answered, "To learn." I guess he figured I should have learned at 25.
Wow, what a boring life that would be. If that were the case we should all just leave this place at 25. Learning is one of the experiences that keeps us "young at heart" and makes the thought of another day exciting.

For what it's worth I think your film was a great effort in the journey to becoming a better filmmaker. As were all of the entries for that matter. It takes some moxy to just post your entry to be judged by others in the first place, we should all be proud we have that courage. One of the things I have learned by being an artist who likes to exhibit my work, is that you can't be too worried about what other people think of your efforts when you are learning new techniques.

Bob Thieda March 28th, 2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Gulbransen (Post 849129)
Thanks Kevin. Nobody here asked why. I got that from a few outsiders.

Yup....I get that too, and I'm almost 52. :)

Some people I know, some even family, don't understand my late life interest in video....(Heck, I don't know if I understand it myself)

It can be overwhelming, frustrating, tiring and down right agravating at times.....but when it works out, when I do something a little better than last time....well, it feels very good....
I've no intention to make a career out of this, (I have a great job)...
Nor do I plan on ever making money, (although I have made a little)...

I'm just havin' fun....And learnin'

Is it Tuesday yet?

Bob T.

Meryem Ersoz March 28th, 2008 12:28 PM

my goodness, you people are getting way too serious!

please refer to RULE #11 on your contest rules. HAVE FUN!

Trond, where are you?? calling for back-up!!!

Trond Saetre March 28th, 2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz (Post 850167)
my goodness, you people are getting way too serious!

please refer to RULE #11 on your contest rules. HAVE FUN!

Trond, where are you?? calling for back-up!!!

I'm right here. :)
Came back to the civilization yesterday after a great week in the mountains.

Yes, rule #11 is THE RULE of the rules. Without all the fun we have with this challenge, the awesome uwol family would not have become what it is today.

So to all of you, veterans and newcomers, HAVE FUN!!!
(but please don't forget to make an uwol film while having fun too)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen (Post 847335)
Anyone planning to shoot uwol 8??

Definitely! I have been waiting for uwol 8 even since the deadline for uwol 7.
It's an addiction!

Bruce Foreman March 28th, 2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Gulbransen (Post 849129)
Nobody here asked why. I got that from a few outsiders. I don't know, maybe it's the neighborhood around here.

Like Kevin, I went back and watched your entry, again was very impressed by the "majesty" of the visuals used to portray the "adventure of life", some of which were absolutely stunning.

And the way you used music to underscore and "lift" the visuals tells me you did anything but "fall on your face".

When folks ask you why you bother...Look at whatever they do to really "live" life and that will tell you what the validity of their observations is.

I was once told the only valid comparison you can make is to yourself. Where were you (with respect to your video production efforts) before this? How does what you did this time compare to what you were doing previously?

I really enjoyed watching your entry again. I thought it was superb, myself.

Annie Haycock March 29th, 2008 03:18 AM

Hey Eric - I'm working my way slowly through UWOL 7 entries, and I'm very impressed with yours. I can't see a single thing to complain about. The wildlife clips are great, they last as long as the action, and the music sits wonderfully. If I use music, it only ever fits here and there by accident (I guess I need a lot more practice!).

Eric Gulbransen March 29th, 2008 09:07 AM

Hi Annie, thanks. If it helps, I sit there with my footage embedded in my thoughts and scroll through song after song after song. When a particular piece brings on a mischievous giggle, I put it in the project folder and keep moving on. Once I get about eight it's time to edit. The footage does the rest.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Can we start #8 early this time? I feel like a thoroughbred all pent up and bouncing off the walls of a starting gate (alright, maybe a pony..)