DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #8 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/118388-tales-wonder-woe-uwol-8-a.html)

Oliver Pahlow April 14th, 2008 10:51 AM

I almost have all the shots I need and I also started editing. I got some good shots on Saturday the 5th when the weather was great. This past weekend was no good (rain mixed with some snow), but today and tomorrow is supposed to be fantastic.

Oliver

Mike Beckett April 15th, 2008 02:10 PM

Squeeeeeeze!

This reminds me of the first time I had to do a presentation in front of a room full of people. I started off thinking I'd never fill three minutes, and now I'm at the editing stage I'm wondering how I'm going to squeeze it down to the regulation length!

Great fun... I don't know how my finished film will go down with the masses, but I sure had fun making it. I've got to practice my best narration voice now, there's only so long I can put that off!

Geir Inge April 16th, 2008 03:04 AM

Almost finished my uwol8 video.
I'm not sure how to end it though.
Tomorrow or coming weekend I will try to make one last trip, maybe I'll manage to capture some nice scenes. The weather forecast look promising.
Never struggled so much with an uwol topic before and it's strange how "luck" can be a big part of ones production, when it comes to wildlife videoing. Also trying to get my new wireless mic to work, but I think it's making too much noice when I'm walking aorund, talking/narrating. Any suggestion?

Geir Inge

Jeremy Doyle April 17th, 2008 10:52 AM

Boy did I blow a great opportunity. At the start of the competition all the snow had melted. Then we had storm come through that dropped 14" inches on us. After 3 days it's gone again. Would have been perfect for transformation. I definitely dropped the ball on this one.

Bob Thieda April 17th, 2008 11:41 AM

Egads!!! The upload instructions arrived.....

I better get to editing my meager supply of clips I shot....

Benjamin Durin April 17th, 2008 11:50 AM

I just bought a new tripod, hope it will be better than the last one.
Now I can start shooting.
When did you say is the deadline?
Oh boy, tomorrow morning I have the kids and my parents are coming this Saturday for 2 weeks.
Guess I have to shoot everything tomorrow afternoon.

Trond Saetre April 17th, 2008 11:57 AM

Doing some final changes to the editing, and then I'm done with mine.
But if I know myself correct, I'm sure I'll find more (minor) changes to make as the deadline approaches.

Jeremy, too bad you missed that snowfall. It would have been a great video.
Hope you had a plan B too.

Dale Guthormsen April 17th, 2008 10:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Good evening,

Great to see everyone wrapping their videos up, particularly Brian!!

We are to have up to 12 inches of snow hit from saturday to tuesday, UGGggggg!!

Here is a shot of me getting the closing shot for my video. the second shot may not make it in, running out of time!!! 3 minutes isn't long!!

Struggling getting one shot on my shot list, most years could get it in the field beside my house, this year its been to cool and windy for the to emerge!!!
Hope to have a wrap on this tomarrow!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE THE REMAINING DAYS!!!

Bruce Foreman April 18th, 2008 11:09 PM

Dale,

At least you have a camera big enough to show up in a picture with you, seems mine have been shrinking and shrinking. My new Canon is so small I'm almost ashamed to put it on a tripod.

(Ever had your tripod snicker at you?)

Well, folks. I almost wound up in the tank this time. 2 short notice defensive handgun classes to teach, a class I had to attend, and family stuff all at once. And every idea I came up with called for at least one actor and I couldn't get anyone interested so...Until yesterday, NOTHING!

Then the other day the Canon HF100 I ordered came in and yesterday I decided to go out and shoot something, ANYTHING (as long as it didn't go bang!) and over two days I got footage that kind of works.

I still have to smooth it a bit and add titles so I should be uploading sometime tomorrow.

The HF100 is TINY! I went from a Sony Digital8 that was about as big as a small brick, to a Panasonic PV GS500 that felt smallish and then the HV20 which I though was really small. And now this.

You don't put accessories on it, you put IT on a hood, or filter, or whatever. But the footage looks really good. It works.

Marj Atkins April 18th, 2008 11:39 PM

I hope you get your shots Dale - what you have there looks really intriguing - can't wait to see your video.

My video was finished and ready to upload on Wednesday but yesterday there was a sudden rush of activity - all sorts of surprising things happened - things that I had been hoping for, but that just hadn't materialised. My day was completely re-arranged - once again.

Today I will be adding a couple of clips to round off my story. What an amazing experience this has been.

Mat Thompson April 19th, 2008 03:20 AM

Well marj I have to say I'm looking forward to your secretive goings on. I can't wait to see what your up to.....!

Me....well its looking like I'm shark food for the second time :-(

Geir Inge April 19th, 2008 03:45 AM

Sad to hear about the tank, Mat.
I'm always looking forward to your films.
And to you Bruce and your HF100.
Remember; It's not the size that matters :)
Baught myself a Canon HV30 and I love it. Much because of the size as I'm hiking a lot and it's easy to carry along.

Hope to get my last shot this weekend, if not, I'll just upload what I've got, but I'm struggling a bit with this one. I've been walking a lot to make this uwol film, so yesterday I had to buy myself a new pair of hiking shoes.

Cant wait to see everyones film.

Geir Inge

Trond Saetre April 19th, 2008 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mat Thompson (Post 863311)
Me....well its looking like I'm shark food for the second time :-(

You still have a couple of days left, Mat!
Hope you can find anything to get on tape. The sharks got too much company last round... :)

Good luck to everyone!

Mike Beckett April 19th, 2008 07:17 AM

I'm hoping to beat the deadline. I don't fancy a dip with the sharks on my first attempt! Editing to be complete today, including narration, then I have all day Sunday to fiddle with it. The day job hasn't been kind to me lately, and finding spare time to work on the project has been difficult.

At least I have a mouse that works now. It wasn't much fun trying to drive Premiere Elements using the keyboard!

Lessons learnt so far? Well, apart from trying to climb into the wardrobe to do narration, it was the death knell for my Libec 950DV tripod. I thought I was being clever because it was lightweight, but it almost collapsed a few times, and some shots were wobblier than I'd have liked. The Pro-6 (aka 503HDV) was more useful, and I mounted it on a set of Libec LS37 legs with a mid spreader for off-road shooting. But the bits didn't arrive in time for my first weekend, and I had to bin a lot of potentially good telephoto work. Ah well.

I hope everyone's had fun this time round. I don't think I have even an outside chance of winning, but this has certainly given me the excuse to get out and about and do something!

Trond Saetre April 19th, 2008 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Beckett (Post 863383)
...this has certainly given me the excuse to get out and about and do something!

And that is what this challenge is all about. To get out, have some great moments, learn new things, and especially to have the magic word FUN! (rule #11)