DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #8 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/118388-tales-wonder-woe-uwol-8-a.html)

Trond Saetre April 2nd, 2008 09:08 AM

Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #8

This is where we share the good experiences, the challenges, and everything else related to the making of our uwol 8 films.

Seems like some of us already have come up with some interesting ideas.
GOOD LUCK everyone!

Bob Thieda April 2nd, 2008 10:37 AM

I had to give up on my first idea....can't get the time off to go to Colorado...

Still, it would have been fun to video Meryem before and after her morning coffee.... ;)

On to plan B...

Bob

Markus Nord April 2nd, 2008 10:53 AM

Hi all… I just what to say that if anyone would like to use the WebTV approach, feel free. That is not any thing that I have “copyright” on! I would like if anyone would like to make a WebTV from another part of the world. If you would like to make is like my films, not a problem, do it in your way, shoot!
That would be so fun if anyone want to pick up the WebTV…
For my own, I will not make a WebTV this round.

Cheers from Sweden
Markus

Mike Beckett April 2nd, 2008 11:13 AM

Typical UK Weather!

From the UK Met Office for this weekend:

"There is a moderate risk of a severe event affecting parts of N Ireland, N and W Wales, Scotland and NE and E England. Cold northerly winds are expected to bring snow showers which could give temporary, slight accumulations at lower levels. On higher ground accumulations of 2-5 cm, and locally as much as 10 cm in N Scotland, are likely. Drifting is also possible in the strong winds over the higher ground in the North."

"Changes"? How about: first-time UWOL videographer transforming into a snowman! Doesn't look like much fun for anyone in the UK this weekend. Get yer winter woolies on again!

Meryem Ersoz April 2nd, 2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Thieda (Post 852978)
Still, it would have been fun to video Meryem before and after her morning coffee.... ;)

gads, what a hideous idea...! a distinct transformation does occur, however...

Dale Guthormsen April 2nd, 2008 11:42 AM

Good morning,

Just got back from a two hours stint of time lapse/interval video. I also got some great ugly footage, perhaps to graphic for some.

I made up my shot list last night, wrote up the VO.. Only to find out this morning my establishing shot can't be made< Ugggg. Now for some creative thinking for an establishing shot.

ONE THING IS FOR CERTAIN, SHOOTING OUTDOORS, SHOOTING WILDLIFE IS NEVER TOTALLY PREDICTABLE!!!

I had a snow squall hit yesterday evening, raced out only to have it stop and sky turn blue before I got the camera out of the bag!!

Oh yea, did my shooting only to realize at the factory it was put to interlaced, I never take it off 30p, Uggg again.

Should have followed Per's example, check all equipment carefully the night before!!!

Trond Saetre April 2nd, 2008 12:45 PM

An idea is taking shape in my head.
Hopefully I can shoot most of it this weekend.
For once it it is forecasted sunshine, and even more than one day in a row.
That hasn't happened often here lately, so I have to make use of it.

Brian McKay April 2nd, 2008 01:12 PM

Trade Ya

Mike B this is from my local Met Office..want to trade.

A low pressure system will move from northern Manitoba towards western Hudson Bay tonight. This weather system will bring strong winds and 5 to 10 cm of snow tonight and Thursday. As a result blizzard conditions are expected to develop in Arviat later this afternoon and in Baker Lake, Rankin Inlet, Chesterfield Inlet this evening. Blizzard conditions may continue through the weekend along the Hudson Bay coast.

Its getting ready to transform from winter to more winter.

Brian

Dale Guthormsen April 2nd, 2008 01:23 PM

Brian,

I am sure you are ready for some "Breaking Weather Days"!!

I will bet the temperatures are not that nice either!!

We still haver white about the countryside, I expect a snow storm of some sort the next few weeks!! hope not however!!

Hope things break for you!!!

My biggest battle here is always the wind!!

Come up with a theme yet???

Mike Beckett April 2nd, 2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian McKay (Post 853066)
Mike B this is from my local Met Office..want to trade.

Brian - you're welcome to it! You probably know that the wusses on this side of the pond can't cope with 1 inch of snow and the country grinds to a halt!

I've resolved to go out and buy a new hat, get out the Kata rain cover and get on with it. A famous Scotsman once said: "There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!"

Trond Saetre April 2nd, 2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Beckett (Post 853088)
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!"

That's what we use to say here in Norway too.
Too bad my camera hasn't learned that yet. It still hates rain.

Brian McKay April 2nd, 2008 02:30 PM

I agree with the wrong clothing story however my problem is they haven't invented the clothing that will keep you warm in this part of the world. You know the winters long when during one your parka goes out of style.

Dale I heard it said that if the wind stops blowing on the prairies you guys will all fall over.

I think I have a story...a bit of a stretch to fit the theme but it should work.

Brian

Victor Wilcox April 2nd, 2008 05:52 PM

I'll take some of that snow down here. Now that would be a transformation. I'll just keep suffering with this cloudy, 85 F, days until it finally warms up.

I made some trial shoots today. I'll have to do some tweaking, but there's hope for my plan.

Meryem Ersoz April 2nd, 2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Beckett (Post 853088)

I've resolved to go out and buy a new hat

be sure you get one with a lot of fake fur and big flaps that are all the rage among our UWOL men.

i am sooo starting a Men of UWOL calendar! The Furry Hat edition!

heh. heh heh.

Ralph Gereg April 2nd, 2008 09:07 PM

Victor,
I'd be happy to trade a few days with you for weather. Right now we're lucky to get up into the 50's here in Illinois. I guess I can't complain tooo much what with what they are getting up thar in Canada and over across the pond! on second thought, yeah I think I'll complain anyway. waah! :)