UWOL #8 - Curse of the Bitou - Paul Mailath - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 24th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #16
Major Player

Hey Paul,
I liked this, In the UK we have a similar problem in some areas with the dreaded rhododendron, which needs to be cleared out by hand most of the time. The tone of you VO was good i thought and worked with the music.
For me , like others have commented a little more framing variety would have helped - but overall I enyjoyed watching an interesting and informative film - and the idea for turning this into some promotion for getting more volunteers sounds great - its a big step, I think, to turn from just capturing the world to help changing it for the better through your work, so good luck ;-)
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #17
Major Player

I thought this was a great film about an important problem worldwide. Here in the US, the soil conservation service (they seem to be responsible for many of these problems) back about 75 years ago planted kudzu in the south to help erosion. Now kudzu is a rampant weed. It is great you are using your video to talk about this issue, and I look forward to a longer version when you complete it.

The technical issues have already been pretty well covered- too much zoom, some minor audio issues. Since I was very focused on the film and its message, they didn't seem distracting.

Great job, and UWOL is a wonderful place to learn.

Ruth
Old April 25th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #18
Trustee

Paul, well done. A really good doc on an invasive plant. I always learn so much from these challenges, we have the same problem here in the southern USA, except ours in Kudzu and that can grow up to 14 inches a night! I enjoyed the VO, very smooth. Also the rack focus at the end. Great job. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #19
Trustee

Wow Paul:

Nice job, documentary style. Of course, all of us around the world can relate. Here at home we have a problem with Myrtle Spurge. Nurseries are still selling the stuff to plant because it "does so well!"

You covered a complicated topic in 3 minutes with style. Great watch.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I never knew about bitou until I watched this, so it sure was interesting. I think the shots were for the most part good, maybe a little long on the reveal with the racks. The audio had quite a few low frequency pops in it that I could only hear with headphones.

Good job on this entry I love to learn new things.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:56 AM   #21
Major Player

Very informative,well filmed and more important watchable.Its amazing that by introducing a common old plant or animal species to another part of the world can create such a problem.On a technical side,I found the naration informative and well done.The zooming could be a problem,but only if you are looking at this piece from a technical view point .( I suppose thats what we are doing here)
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:06 PM   #22
Major Player

I would have like to have someone at the beginning showing the bitou in his hand with a large shot first then a close-up of the plant (still in the hand).
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:48 AM   #23
Trustee

Hi Paul

Better late then never, I guess :)

Your film is informative and educating at the same time.
Your editing, sound mixed in music/natural sound and narration is good.

I've got two things to put my finger on, and it is:
1) I would like some more colours in your film. As it is, I feel it's too much grey and green colours. Or something to break up many similar scenes of the bushes. Maybe some wider shots to show the area would do?
2) I think the uwol format (max 3 min) is not enough time for a film like this. Too much information for just 2 min. You didn't use all of your 3 min :)
I have tried to make a docu myself for uwol, and I somehow felt it was not enough time.

On the other hand, the docu style suits you very much and you deliver a good film. I especially like your change of focus at the end. Your pulling and throwing focus starting at 2.12 is some of the best I've seen :)

Wish you all the best and longing to watch another great film from you at uwol"9

Geir Inge

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge