UWOL #8 "Mountain Nature" by Trond Saetre - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 25th, 2008, 02:45 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Meryem:
I'll keep that in mind and have more motion next time.

Bob:
I'm glad you like it. I wanted to use the panoramic shots at the end to give the audience a good look at the area where I come from.

Chris:
Thanks for the nice comment.

Adrinn:
Thank you for the comment. I think I have sorted out the audio problems now.
Yes, you are right, you can see a suspension bridge in the final clip.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi Trond,
I liked the way this was put together, the vo clearly explained and tied closely to the visuals, the shots were well composed with great use of simple but effective editing. There was a pan at around 2.30 that was a little jerky, but later on the pans on water under ice and city shots were beautiful!
So thats where you get to if you keep following the road over the Hardangervidda huh?

Good entry!
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #18
Trustee

Trond,

An excellent video, with great scenery, and a good solid storyline too. I thought mine was a bit of a tenuous link to the theme, but yours actually shows the transformation happening as you climb higher.

I particualrly liked the melting ice at 1:46, with the water tricking underneath the surface. Loved the view from the top of the mountain, the vivid blue of the lake contrasts with the dull, wintry browns on the land.

I did like your video, well done.

I've also spent an enjoyable ten minutes looking round the area in Google Earth too. Maybe we should do an UWOL Google Earth layer showing where everyone shoots!
Old April 27th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #19
Trustee

Trond, I enjoyed watching how you showed us the change some degree of elevation makes. Like one other, I would not have imagined the amount of change only 350 meters could cause.

The music fit, the detail in your visuals worked, and I, like others, was impressed by the panorama you showed at the top.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 07:46 AM   #20
Major Player

Hi Trond
It is so easy to say that this is your best entry yet.I liked your whole idea of showing transformation on one mountain.I watched this more than once and enjoyed it every time
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #21
Regular Crew

UWOL #8 "Mountain Nature"

Hi Trond,
Much of my thoughts have already been expressed by others. So, I'll repeat only the ones I feel strongly about:

IYour idea of showing transformation over change in elevation was a nice and unique interpretation of the theme. I must admit, I am envious of how natural you are at narrating - something I need to work on! I also really liked your "writing" - decisions on what to say and how to narrate. The story was very poignant in its simplicity.

The views were amazing and the ice patches with water trickling beneath were gems. Thanks! Really looking forward to seeing more of your videos.

Amelia
Amelia Tanttila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Rob,
Thanks for the comment. Yes, I agree about that jerky pan. Should have been replaced or removed, I guess.

Mike,
The Google Earth option sounds like an interesting thing to look into.
Maybe we should have a discussion this before the next uwol challenge?

Bruce,
Yes, it is amazing how big changes there can be in such a short elevation change.
I am glad you like the video.

John,
Thank you very much for the comment. Glad you like it.

Amelia,
I have to confess, the narration was not written this time. I just wing it, and do a few different takes to see what sounds best.
Glad you like the video.

Thank you everyone for the great feedback!
Old May 3rd, 2008, 05:05 AM   #23
Trustee

Hi Trond.

What a great idea to make a story out from different levels, from the sea and up over the treeborder.
It really show the changes as you walk.
Nice editing and VO, but maybe I would like a bit more variation in choice of shots? Also vice of you to leave Vera for a while :)

Maybe it's just me, but I'm a big fan of trying out different angles. It can enrich your film a lot, just by putting the camera in different hights, etc.

All the best from Sunnmore.
Geir Inge
Old May 4th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #24
Major Player

I enjoyed your video very much Trond - another interesting interpretation of the theme ‘Transformation’. Your scenery in Norway is indeed spectacular, as you say. Can’t really add more to what has already been said. Well done. Look forward to your next movie.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Geir Inge,
I'm glad you enjoyed the video. Got some great tips from your video about different angles.

Marj,
Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad you like it.

Hopefully I will be able to get a new computer in time for next uwol.
My "old" one died about a week ago.
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #26
Trustee

Trond, beautiful video. Composition of video was excellant. I like the trail shots, made me want to follow them to the summit. It looks like a dream world there. For some reason I was not expecting those bridges in the last shots. But then again, why not. The audio was a little off in a couple of places. I understand that we are both having that problem. It may be in the compression. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Hi Bob,
Thank you for the comment. Yes, the audio problems must be caused by the compression, because the audio in the original .avi file sounds fine.

I did some testing with different compressions and different audio codecs after the uwol deadline. Best results was achieved with mp3 audio.
Can't remember now which audio codec I used for uwol8, and my own computer died 3 weeks ago, so I can't test more until I get a new one. Hopefully that will be in time for the next challenge.
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:55 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I havent got the time to watch and reply to the entries from uwol 8 because of a heavy workflow but finally i have some time to spare.
Your images was beautiful, and you have a nice story to tell. Nice approach on the theme as well. Great V.O.
As always in naturefilms you could have taken advantage of more moving shots "dolly maybe?" but i guess thats hard to take with you on the trip over a mountain. hehe

Nice work! Keep it up
Vegard Paulsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge