UWOL#8 “Primavera” by Geir Inge Bjørneseth Brekke - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:12 PM   #16
Trustee

Hi Geir:

What would we do without you in our lives? I think this is your best. The shot of you opening your arms and taking it all in with such scenery! I was captivated, holding back tears, living the moment.

I honestly don't envy Per this round!

Thank you for your excellent talent, and who you are.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:41 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I echo others comments here.... beautiful images, great narration, giving us who haven't been there, a front row seat.
Old April 24th, 2008, 05:50 AM   #18
Trustee

Thank you for nice comments on my film.
Right now I'm away at a big national youth conference and will stay here until Sunday. I have downloaded all the films and taken them with me. I have seen some of them and I will give my comments, maybe starting this evening, if I find time. If not you have to wait until I'm home on Sunday eve.

Just for your information, it's not a rabbit running from under the stone, it's a hare (snow shoe hare). Rabbit and hare are two different species :)

Geir Inge
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #19
Trustee

holy crap!

yea.. well alright .. that was pretty good, I just keep replaying it - it's the location! if I lived in a place that good I could.... no, no I couldn't - not even close.

absolutely loved it!

Last edited by Paul Mailath; April 24th, 2008 at 07:44 PM.
Paul Mailath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #20
Major Player

Hallo Geir Inge.

Yes, greit nature and allso the man,you have here fine clip ,and werry
nice sekvense.Very insperating film!!!

And present ouer Nature at max.

Vell done.

VJV.

Old April 24th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #21
Major Player

Geir,

Thanks for letting us join you on your hike. It was a vicarious adventure, walking along with you through late spring snows into the mountains. The hare was very cooperative, as were the birds- I really enjoyed the dipper footage. When you are in your films, you have a way of making your audience a real part of your expedition, so they are all very fun to watch. Thanks for sharing your walk!

Ruth
Old April 25th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #22
Trustee

I'm just briefly in again to respond to some of your comments.

I did 4 or 5 hikes in the mountains for this film, all in the same area, but over a period of 2.5 week.
It is a 2 hours walk to the little lake where the dipper is filmed and another 15 - 20 min to where I filmed the hare.

To film the dipper I had to sneak closer and closer to the lake.
And as there was nothing to hide behind I had to sneak each time the dipper took a dive. The White troated Dipper is in fact our national bird in Norway.
The dipperis dependent on running water and is a very fasinating bird to watch. In these clips it is eating caddisflies.

To film the hare was another issue. I saw it from a distance and had to figure out how to get it on tape. It was plenty of snow and not so easy to walk.
Ther ewas 2 ways for the hare to run from the stone, so I guess I was lucky as it ran the right way. These animals are not used to humans like many rabbits are, and thereby very shy animals. The hare is all white at winter, with only some black on it's ear tip. This animal is starting on it's transformation to it's summer habit, and that you can see in it's face with grey/brown spots.

So to get these clips from the bird and the hare took me many hours, not sure exactly how many. But these are wild creatures and you can not plan things, just hope for the best.

Thanks again for all kind words and comments.
I have given my comments to a few of you as I am away on a congress/conference I will respond to the rest of you on Sunday.

Geir Inge
Old April 27th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Geir you do very professional work, you are one of the filmmakers I hope to meet in quality someday. Your cinematography left nothing to be desired and the VO was well done. I felt like I was there witnessing those events.

You conveyed your message very well here, good work!
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 06:12 AM   #24
Major Player

I am not going to mention everything that all who have responded have already said.In every round I re -watch 0ne or two video's . This is one of them that gets filed away as one of the best UWOL entries.
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:41 PM   #25
Major Player

This was a wonderfully exhilarating hiking trip Geir - absolutely breathtaking scenery, masterfully captured.
Your introduction sets the scene beautifully for what is to come, with stunning images, restful music and clear, well scripted VO.
You certainly had your job cut out for you setting up your camera to film yourself so many times along the route. You are very skilled at it too because it worked flawlessly - especially the feet. You must have been pleasantly surprised when that hare came into the scene! (Okay, I read now that you had to plan that one carefully!)
You live in a most scenic area of the world - what majestic views. One of my favourite scenes was the dipper - such an amazing creature - this tiny little bird that swims underwater using its wings and without webbed feet!
My only negative comment about this video would be the ending. It seemed to fade away without a definite conclusion - other than that it was outstanding. Thanks Geir - always look forward to your videos.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 06:14 AM   #26
Trustee

Hi Adrinn, John Dennis and Marj and thank you for taking time commenting my film.

The flu has flown away and I'm back on my feet.
I always struggle with my endings, don't know why but maybe I have to work harder on that part. What really worries me is my English talking and writing.
It's my seccond language and there is quite a difference between Norwegian and English. Both in the way we put the words after one and eachother, and what they mean.

Now I am a bit ashame because I always comment the others film before the judge picks a winner. This time it was impossible for me. Sorry about that. I also do like the idea of give my comments (and get from others) to all of the films participating, as this is the most important part of uwol, if you ask me. I call it the uwol school and it's a wonderful place to learn from eachother :)

Thanks again for nice comments.

Geir Inge
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:54 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Geir! Your video was the first one I watched weeks ago now. I was so blown away that I didn't feel I could possibly write feedback that could capture how I felt about it. I still feel I can't adequately comment on it, but I will try. My feeling when I saw Primavera for the first time, and second and third time since, is that it's the video that I've been wanting to make for years, but have not found "my voice." Before my friend Brian convinced me to run so much, I used to hike (and now still do from time to time, and bring my video camera when I feel like lugging the 11 or so lbs of my XL2 around), and I share your sentiments about the "recharging" aspects of nature.

Your video speaks with sincerity, confidence, and beauty. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

Amelia
Amelia Tanttila is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge