UWOL #8 - "white lines" by Rob Evans - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:16 PM   #16
Wrangler

ok, so! I have to point out that this would have made a great ADVENTURE film, and your last Challenge round film would have been a great application of the TRANSFORMATION theme. Shuffle them around and you have a pair of winners!

This was very well put together. The way you pieced it together was very professional and enjoyable to watch. I like all the different angles and perspectives that you incorporated.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #17
Major Player

This was really fun to watch. But in the interest of full disclosure it ISN'T something I am going to do anytime soon! So for me, having a vicarious thrill watching everyone soaring around like birds was great!

Technically it worked really well. Shooting in snow is definitely a challenge, and all your shots were well exposed. The interview was compelling and really fit in seamlessly with the action sequences. Your audio was great, and the music matched the action. Thanks for sharing, since this is as close as I'll come to soaring above snow with a kite.

Ruth
Old April 25th, 2008, 03:52 AM   #18
Trustee

Hi Rob.

Great film from a great country.
Hehe, I just had to say it that way :)

Seriously I loved it and I think most of all because of the way you have done the interview, mixed with great scenes from Hardangervidda. The french accent gives it all an exotic touch I guess. Never the less, it's one of the best interviews I've seen. The sports scenes are awesome and it's like I'm there with you at Hardangervidda, kiting.
I only wish you had this film in the last round (7) with our adventure theme.
It would have been in the gold class.

OK, now I have to run back to the congress.

Wish you all the best.
Geir Inge
Old April 28th, 2008, 06:54 AM   #19
Major Player

Hey Rob
When I watch this video I can see without a doubt that powerkiting got you into video.You understand it technically to know exactly where the action will happen and how,and so you anticipate it so well.Great interview,and overall good video...
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #20
Major Player

Hi Rob - sorry it’s taken me so long to get here.
I really enjoyed your power kiting interview/overview - has a professional quality from start to finish. (I have to admit up front, though, that I’m not fully convinced that it adheres strongly enough to the theme and I do agree with you that it would have gone a long way to making it qualify better had you added some reference to transformation in the VO.)

I simply love your opening scene with the power kiter coming toward the viewer and the titles left behind after the snow spray - a professional touch that shows imagination and forethought (or, at the least, a talent for picking up on a good intro. clip if it wasn’t pre-planned and set-up). It sets the scene for action right from the start. I think I would have been tempted to cut this scene before your detracting shadow crept into it, however, even though I realize that you are following the action through. I think your choice of font for the title and credits work exceptionally well.

Tom, is relaxed and confident as he elaborates on the positive aspects of power kiting. He is very easy to listen to and kept me interested to the end. He is very nicely framed in all your shots. (On my screen he is a bit underexposed in the full shots.) One thing that amazes me is that he didn’t budge throughout the entire interview. His feet in particular remained static from beginning to end. Did you all have to carry him off at the end as a frozen lump and dump him in a warm bath to thaw?! (I would never have lasted past a minute myself without freezing up - guaranteed!) I think the play between the calm, static frames of Tom and the busy action of the power kiters works well.

Your compositions are imaginative - I like the variation in your shots - from close-up of feet on ski’s to wide shots showing kiters in a broad snow landscape. The icicle and snow blower interlude add interest and I think the green kite appearing from behind the snow ridge is particularly effective.

One thing I found a bit distracting were your shots into the sun - they are very dramatic and effective but the aperture closing down makes the picture pretty dark and they look out of place spread in amongst the other brighter scenes; there are also a number of scenes that have white flecks on them - almost like film grain 1:18, 2:40, 2:47

Despite the nitpicking, an excellent production Rob - I’ve learnt a lot from it!
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #21
Major Player

Hi Marj,
Thanks for taking the time to write this, really appreciated. I've had a look across it again tonight and I know what you mean about the shooting into the sun sequences. I actually tinted these a little to bring the darkness of the clouds out but in retrospect it has made the feel jump about a bit!!
Erm, the white flecks? Snow ;-) This looks great in HD, the backlit flakes turn into a world of stars travelling across shot... magical...

Again, thanks - looking forward to the next challenge - I've recently bought a letus extreme which I have been playing around with recently - lotsa fun!
http://www.vimeo.com/986307
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Evans View Post
Erm, the white flecks? Snow ;-) This looks great in HD, the backlit flakes turn into a world of stars travelling across shot... magical...

The thought crossed my mind, but on my screen those scenes look like they came straight out of the ark - like worn old time movies - thought you'd overlooked something :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Evans View Post
I've recently bought a letus extreme which I have been playing around with recently - lotsa fun!
Lots to look forward to.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge