DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #8 - "white lines" by Rob Evans (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/119977-uwol-8-white-lines-rob-evans.html)

Rob Evans April 22nd, 2008 05:09 AM

UWOL #8 - "white lines" by Rob Evans

For me, this film has been very much a step back and and step forwards all at the same time. The subject, powerkiting, is the thing that first got me into making films about 8 years ago, and although I haven't shot much in the way of kitesports recently this felt like putting on your favourite pair of gloves on a cold day. The technology and the kites change quickly, but the feelings of freedom, space and fun remain the same, and I tried to focus on these aspects.
A step forward in the way that this is the first piece I have done docu-style based around an interview - the guy tallking , Tom, is a true athlete and all round good guy who gave me a some great answers to questions to base this on, and although consequently the edit process was much longer ( cutting between the two cams etc - lessons to be learned next time! ) I feel it has come out well - I know it probably sounds a bit corny but with every film I do I really feel I'm pushing the envelope and trying new things, and this film is no exception!

I sometimes struggle with the representation of the themes in these challenges, but I set out on this project to show the potential that powerkites have for transforming the winter sports scene, without directly alluding to it in so many words. I hope this comes accross ok!!!

Shot on FX1 and HVR-A1 - edited on Ppro 2 in SD and tweaked in MB Looks.

Cheers!

Rob

ps thanks to Trond for the weather links for Norway - they were really useful!!!

Link here http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen...whitelines.mov

Mat Thompson April 22nd, 2008 10:03 AM

Hi Rob

Well as a snowboarder of 15yrs and a power kiter, well I dabble somewhat! its very interesting to see and hear so much about this sport. Your video was very well shot and edited with some great action sequences. The two cameras on the interview certainly gave it more meat and were nicely composed. The chap was confident and interesting to listen to. Were you in any of the action shots by the way? Ok then, the premise...well I have to say until I just read your intro I personally didn't get the tranformation link and now I have I can see what your going for but I have to say its kind of loose in my eyes.

Its great you brought this to uwol and I could certainly see this playing in bars and cafes in ski resorts and I'd love to give it a try!

Dale Guthormsen April 22nd, 2008 12:59 PM

Rob,

I think you did a good job putting this together. It only makes me want to go out and get a kite to use all this prairie wind we have here in the canadian prairies!!!
I get the link to transitions theme, no problem with that from my perspective. Nice to see a different perspective.

One curious question. you can plane through the wind on a sail, but can you go cross wind or plane upwind with the kite??? I would end up with a long walk back out here!!!

thanks for sharing your effort!!!

Bob Thieda April 22nd, 2008 05:00 PM

Well I think you did a great job on your video, but I'm not sure because I was fascinated with the subject......
I've never seen that before and was totally drawn into watching the kiters, (kiters?).....

I guess it was good, because nothing distacted me from the story...

I'll watch it again with a more technical eye later.

Bob T.

Oliver Pahlow April 22nd, 2008 06:28 PM

I have been toying with the idea to kite over water. You brought it to a new dimention, a winter sport which is cool. I thought this was a nature thing, but if it includes new ideas in sports, hey, I'm in. I like how you are presenting the whole thing. But is it really about a sport or about nature?

Oliver Pahlow

Chris Barcellos April 22nd, 2008 07:28 PM

Beautiful footage of what looks like a load of fun.....I just wonder if those kites could pull me up the hill.....Nicely done !

Rob Evans April 23rd, 2008 02:45 AM

Thanks for the response guys...

Mat -thanks for the honesty about theme representation - as said I did struggle with it a bit, something to bear in mind in future. When doing the interview I almost asked Tom to say somehting like "This is how winter sports is being transformed...." etc but I decided against it - in retrospect maybe that would have provided a better link in....
As for trying it - well as a kiter and boarder already, you'll pick it up in about 5 minutes - seriously it's about 15 times easier than kitesurfing... If you want any info on where to go just drop me a line ;-)
I did get to kite most days, and ended up boosting some really sweet 15 second 40 foot glides off hills, and then gently floating back to earth - really it's a totally stunning feeling... you gotta try it.... have some pics somewhere i will try and post!

Dale - yeah, with modern kites you can quite easily push 45 degrees upwind with no problems ( providing you have wind LOL ) - i think it would be amazing having looked at your environment!!! If you want to get hold of a kite let me know, I'm sure I can hook you up with someone on that side of the pond :-)

Oliver - I think ( please correct me if wrong y'all ) that UWOL is aimed at all outdoors + uw shooting, not just specifically nature - which is kinda lucky for me because there was no room for a PLAN B this time round!!

Bob - thanks, thats a great compliment, as it's usually the way I too measure what i see..

Chris - yes. it will. ;-)

Trond Saetre April 23rd, 2008 03:06 AM

Hi Rob,

Seems like you were lucky with the weather up there. I recognize the area. :)

I really enjoyed, and had been looking forward to watch, your video this round. Those kiters catched some big air there. When I tried kiting a couple of years ago, catching air meant I had screwed up, haha.

Anyway, it was great to have Tom telling that story.
And yes, you are right, kiting has transformed winter sports. So with that in mind, I think you followed the theme.

Well done!

Bryce Comer April 23rd, 2008 04:22 AM

Wow Rob,
That was a really great film. I love snow sports, so it certainly had my attention. Although, i think that even if i didn't have that interest, your film would still have had me glued. Your production skills are great, the way you put it all together was awsome. I especially liked the way you worked in the interview, that kept the whole thing in focus for me. To hear how the sport has transformed over its short life was quite interesting. Your shots to were top notch!

Bryce

Jim Montgomery April 23rd, 2008 07:03 AM

Really nice documentary. You used my favorite technique of using the interview to compliment your visuals. Being from Florida and seeing snow as little as I do it amazes me to see what you can can actually do in that stuff.

Nice

Catherine Russell April 23rd, 2008 11:57 AM

Rob:

Excellent! I am so impressed with the films I'm seeing this round. The interview was awesome and the footage spectacular. What can I say? Well done on a fabulous piece. I think Per didn't know what he was getting into when he accepted to judge the round!

Cat

Vidar Vedaa April 23rd, 2008 12:18 PM

Hi Rob.

This citing look facinating,and the film have a great cuting.The sekvense
betwen the intervju and the citing must be perfect. And next time you
are on Hardangervidda you must travel a bit more vest to the fjord
(recomended)

VJV:

Adrinn Chellton April 23rd, 2008 01:22 PM

Hey Rob nice work here, I liked this one, it was an interesting story about snow para-sailing. As I watched it I was thinking "it fits the theme, one minute he is a land locked human the next he transforms into a gliding bird!"

I look forward to your next entry.

Mike Beckett April 23rd, 2008 01:50 PM

Rob,

My first thought was "That's not Berkshire" then I read on!

There's some great footage in there showing the sport in action, it's cut together really well. The setting for the interview and the audio quality for it are great.

You managed to make something that I would normally switch off from appear interesting. I'm not saying I'd leap at the chance to swing from a parachute with skies dangling from it!

It's just like a little segment you would see on the telly - not too static, not too energetic. Well done!

Markus Nord April 23rd, 2008 02:28 PM

Rob… very cooool... You have put together a nice film. Nice cuts between interview and action. I would have liked to se more tricks and advanced jumps, but this was good. A tight film. Nice exposure on the snow too… that is hard ( know, I’m working on a production now with lots of snow).