UWOL 8: Magic Hands by Cat Russell - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 25th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #16
Trustee

Another great entry from you Catherine.
I agree with those who say you should make childrens TV.
You have a great fantesy and I really think you have magic hands when it comes to making good stories in your uwol films.
Maybe the small uwol format dont make your film all justice this time.
But still, it's a good film :)

Wish you all the best.
Geir Inge
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #17
Major Player

Cat, sorry to here about the fox problems. Sounds like a job for the killer duck. I grew up on a small farm and know it hurts to loose animals that way.

When are you starting AE lessons. Looks like we could all use some of your expertise.

My wife teaches fith grade and I know here students would love this one as much as I did.

By the way, your right about the credits not counting as part of the three minutes. I've used that rule myself.

Say hi to Meagan and Kill for me.
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #18
Trustee

Cat,

Now that was different - and fun! Like others have said, I would like to see the middle screen at higher resolution, but the UWOL video size sorta restricts that.

Certainly looks like you had fun with After Effects. And you were lucky to get the contrasts with the snowy/not snowy views of the hills and farm there. We had the prospect of snow here, which had me rubbing my hands with glee with all sorts of ideas, but in the end it only lasted 5 minutes and didn't lie. Ah well!

And that goat at the end is just such a pleasant looking beastie. I want one!
Old April 26th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #19
Regular Crew

An inspiring idea, which was no doubt quite difficult to attempt. I liked the fact that you varied the way the hands opened up the pictures. Was there no way to have the border shrink with the picture?

I agree that the close ups worked the best in this one. It's hard to shoot for 320x240 format, as everything is tiny when you finally get to watch it.

Very creative entry Cat, I enjoyed watching it.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #20
Major Player

I think it was from about the second round that I competed in that I said I love the way you do things.I think in full screen DVD quality this would be an amazing piece to watch.Every challenge you try something so unlike the time before,yet to everyone watching we all know that it could only have been your work.Keep pushing those limits Cat.
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #21
Trustee

Hi Geir, Victor, Adrinn, John Dennis and Mike:

I am stunned at how gracious all have been! Thank you for the well wishes and kind words.

Hey everyone, I have thought of a fairly easy way (I think) to be able to bring things up full screen a bit more and I'm sorry it didn't occur to me before I entered this. Just for grins, I think I might rework it for that and post it for a candid review.

I appreciate you all so much.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #22
Regular Crew

UWOL 8: Magic Hands by Cat Russell

Hi Cat (or perhaps I should say, "Neighbor")
I also really liked your piece and your creative way of presenting it. It seems that when you delve into the AE realm, a whole new world of possibility opens up. Really looking forward to seeing what's next from you!

I agree with what some of the others have mentioned - this could be great content for children's programming - not just the AE effects but kids (or some at least) love animals. I could imagine kids enjoying a weekly show which takes them on the tour of your farm, visiting the animals, watching them grow, go about their daily lives hatching eggs, bickering, and such.

Sorry to hear about the fox and your loss. We had chickens when I was a kid and I remember how devastating it was to lose one - well, I guess that's just like any other pet - they become part of the family. Hope the fox goes on his merry way.

Amelia
Amelia Tanttila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #23
Major Player

Hi Cat, Hands aside (and my speling is well, not the best) your short was wonderful, but the shots needed to be full screen in my (limited) opinion. It was hard to make out details, but I think the concept and footage was good.

Best regards,

Oliver
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #24
Major Player

Hello Cat

Facinating film,a bit different art from your oder film.
like your unike film,nice work.

VJV.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 09:31 AM   #25
Major Player

Cat, every movie you make is a surprise. This one must have been quite an effort to make.
I agree with what have been said before, but if you are reworking it I have a few suggestions:
- the border around the inset is distracting because of the changing colors. Maybe a static border or no border at all would be better?
- Sometimes there is a jump in the hands as if you cut a too long sequence. Did you try to add a dissolve transition to attenuate the jump?

I hope the chickens will be fine now and quickly grow. That is the most important!
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #26
Major Player

Well Cat - as usual you have put together another entertaining movie. (I must say the movies that have been presented this time to avoid the shark tank are quite incredible - all done on a shoe string so to speak and yet so interesting to watch.)

I am not going to re-iterate what others have already said - just that it was fun and I liked the music you selected to complement your visuals.

I am sorry to hear about the demise of so many chickens Cat - looks like things have been going a bit wrong out there at the Screaming Baby Ranch. I do hope that you will resolve the problem before any more are lost.

Look forward to seeing what you have in store for us next time round - hopefully your new camera will be repaired and ready to use by then.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge