UWOL #8 - Growing Finding Youth - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 7th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks Bryce! That's good to know that you're having better luck with using the zebra stripes and manual settings than using auto settings. I also have been using the zebra stripes (w/ manual settings, for the most part) ever since your posting about my video being overexposed. But, I really haven't "tested" the auto settings in challenging light situations.

Just out of curiosity (I'm not sure whether you'll revisit this thread), what camera do you shoot with?
Amelia Tanttila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi Amelia - my apologies, I’m having similar problems posting feedback at the moment.
Your video production, apart from the technical problems already mentioned, has a very professional feel to it. Your story is well constructed.
I like your idea of using Brian’s running feet at the beginning and end and you created a neat, effective ending with the freeze-frame and title. (I would never have thought of putting the second part of my title first - pretty neat idea that.) I can’t read your credits, unfortunately, due to the light font (weight) and the very small dimensions of your mpeg video output.
I enjoyed your VO - You were both relaxed and easy to listen to. Your choice of music is appropriate for the subject, although not my favourite. (No one has mentioned the problem/loud beep at the beginning of the movie - not sure what happened there that it’s still in the video.)
Your composition is excellent - especially appreciate the different angles of view and framing of your subject. I enjoyed looking at the changing scenery while Brian was running and the odd shots of the reservoir here and there that added interest - very good camera work and editing of the material in general.
I was just wondering if Brian always runs solo - if not, it might have been a nice idea to have given us a glimpse of some of his recruits running - although I guess this would have been quite difficult to organize.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi Marj,
Thanks for your feedback – I really appreciate it. You’re definitely right about the titles – I should have made them bigger or changed the font color. I didn't realize this when editing in full-size, and by the time I realized the problem, I was feeling pretty done with the project and ready to move on. I’ll need to listen again to the first part of the video for the sound… I’m thinking that it could be that when I was interviewing Brian he was playing with the lid on his water bottle and now and then it would make a loud click… again, if I’d had more tenacity, I may have been able to edit the click out; or at least made it less obvious.

I’m glad you enjoyed the composition and changing scenery. When I first looked at the footage I thought there was no way I could make anything interesting because all I had was Brian running… so, thank heavens for the changes in scenery!

Also, I agree with you… when I put together the story, it became clear that it would have been ideal to have some footage of Brian running with his “recruits”. At least a few times a week Brian runs with the Boulder Trail Runners… so, if I’d planned enough in advance, I could have pretty easily gotten footage w/ Brian running with others (although not his recruits). Unfortunately, I didn’t get “my story” locked down until a week before the deadline, so, I have hours of irrelevant footage, and barely enough for the story I decided on. Live and learn I suppose.

It’s funny – I believe you’re the only person who commented on the music. I actually was a bit hesitant about it – I felt it didn’t quite fit. But, I know the composer (my mom) so, the bottom line is that I had easy access to her music on my computer, have been having trouble with Sound Tracks (need to work out a bug), and haven’t yet invested more license free music.

Thanks again for so attentively watching the video and for your feedback. It definitely helps.

Amelia
Amelia Tanttila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #19
Major Player

Hi Amelia
The sound I was referring to at the start of your video was a very loud electronic beep, not something you could confuse with a click of a bottle top. I thought that you may have used it to sync something and had inadvertently left it in. Perhaps it is my download if no one else mentioned it and you can't place it.

Oh and don't go throwing the baby out with the bath water now! What a pleasure to have your own special composer on site, so to speak. Subjective opinion about genre (old time movies music) is not synonymous with intrinsic value! Far from it.

Marj
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge