What are you using to compress? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 19th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks so much, those were all the exact settings I was using except for one. I will just have to deal. I suppose you are right about the Squeeze, users. I saw all this beautiful footage and wondered why mine went kabloowy once it was compressed. Now I know. Oh, the joy of spending and extra $500.

I wasn't sending out as an AVI first. I was going straight from the timeline sequence to the video encoder. I have never juggled between two compressions before. Like I was say, I am a straight to DVD guy, so I have my one great happy setting and that is it. To be honest, I don't much about it because I author all my DVDs in Encore, and it does it all for me. I just build my menus and links, make it all happy, and Encore decides how it is going to get it to the disk. I usually save all of my sequences as AVI's, so I can dump one to Vimeo if I want to.

Last edited by Martin Vavra; June 19th, 2008 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Edited to remove Vimeo link
Martin Vavra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #17
Trustee

Martin,
You shouldn't post a link to your film until all the films are available.
It kind of keeps it like a premiere when they are all available at once. If everyone posted their film when it was done I think it kind of loses some of the fun and anticipation waiting to see everyone's films. Congrats on finishing BTW! I'm still trying to get mine shot.
Old June 20th, 2008, 04:27 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback View Post
Per,

Can't you get a cross-platform license for Sorenson Squeeze? I know most duel platform programs will do that.
Course, you have a Intel Mac so you should be able to run Windows on it and run the PC version of Squeeze anyway. :)
Kevin, I haven't tried because it seem that the compression in FCP are doing a good enough job for me. I also have Compressor which I think is a more powerful tool, but haven't done any sampling with it yet.

The latest version of QT (v.7.4.5) disabled the Sorenson 3 codec by default, so I had a hard time to find that codec. The solution was to open QuickTime Preference - in the Advanced tab, enable Show legacy encoders (allows exporting using older codecs).
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #19
Major Player

Hello Per Johan

I have strugling whid that problem in 5 day now, but it`s not Quicktime 7.4.5.
If you go to systemvalg-Quicktime-avansert-hvis eldre codec hook the mark.It come ok for me sorenson come aktiv in commpresor again.

OK-dont read the hole post Per Johan,think I shud go for sleep !!!!

VJV.

Last edited by Vidar Vedaa; June 20th, 2008 at 07:41 AM. Reason: sleepy!!!
Vidar Vedaa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge