DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #9: strix-nebulosa by Per Johan Naesje (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/124352-uwol-9-strix-nebulosa-per-johan-naesje.html)

Per Johan Naesje June 23rd, 2008 08:57 AM

UWOL #9: strix-nebulosa by Per Johan Naesje

My contribution for this round is about the Great Grey Owl or Lap Owl (strix nebulosa). This is not so very common in the Scandinavian countries, but it's not a threatened species. It breeds at the northern hemisphere, from northern part of Scandinavia, across Asia, North America and Canada.

It's one of the world's largest owls. First time I saw this bird, I was amazed about it's size and how silent it's flight is. It's very scary to sit in the forest looking around and in the next moment it sits just a couple of meters above you. And you haven't notice it's arrival!

It's a breeding pair of Great Grey in this area where I've made this film. For four days and nights particularly (without som much sleep) I was able to get enough footage to make this short film.

I was lucky to get some real nice footage of this owl. The male was the easiest to get footage of and in most of the footage you can view the male owl.

The best time of the day to make footage of the owl is during late evening and night. The owl is searching for food this time of day. The good thing is that this time of year, the light is so superb in Scandinavia. It's only a couple of hours around midnight when the light is too dark to film!

Tecnically this is shoot with Canon XLH1 20x HD lens in HDV 1080i50, for close-up I've used a 70-200mm f2.8 and a 300mm f4.0. Sound recording is made with a Sennheiser Me-67 shotgun. All sound used in the film is original sound from the location. And of course the steadyness in the footage is by help of my rock solid Miller Arrow HD tripod, which I never leave home without!

At my website I've provided a slightly bigger view (640x380) of the film. Appreciate any feedback to my film - strix nebulosa.
Link: http://www.video-film.no/snutter/uwol9.html

Enjoy!

Chris Barcellos June 23rd, 2008 10:16 AM

Fabulous again, Per !!! How did you get that thing to fly straight into camera, and come to perch in center frame.....

Bruce Foreman June 23rd, 2008 10:50 AM

Absolutely magnificent, Per. Crisp, finely detailed, yet extremely graceful footage. And the music selected enhanced the visual but without "taking over". Very well edited and "blended".

David Gemmell June 23rd, 2008 12:16 PM

Per,

You have brought some beautiful footage of such an amazing bird to us.

I really enjoyed learning about this bird as I watched the wonderful variety of shots you captured. It must have been so exciting to have been there in what felt like such a remote area.

The footage was very sharp and very enjoyable to watch. Well done again on such a wonderful entry!

Rob Evans June 23rd, 2008 02:42 PM

Per, I am in awe. Not just for the crisp visuals, superb follow panning and amazing action - but for the amount of time and patience it must have required to observe your quarry's habits, and on top of all that get into position to get those shots. Again, i'm finding your work a real inspiration. Keep it up fella, at this rate I can see a "As Per the Wild" Tv show on our screens ;-)

Catherine Russell June 23rd, 2008 03:06 PM

Per:

It's your best yet. And few can beat a Per film, except Per himself. Big cinema all the way, and what a stunning subject.

Thanks for it all,

Cat

Dale Guthormsen June 23rd, 2008 03:24 PM

Per Johan,

Some truly great images of a great predator!!! The last shot with the owl flying and you can see the broken tail feathers would have best been left out. I thouhgt everything else was wonderful, as always. I very much enjoyed it. The voice over was nice and informative, very appropriate. so much one can talk about cutting down to 3 minutes is extremely difficult!! Good Job.

Steven Gotz June 23rd, 2008 05:03 PM

Per lives in a different world than I do. He seems to know the wildlife areas like I know local freeways. You just have to love shots where the owl flies toward the camera and lands right in front of the camera on a rock like it was in a script.

Andrew Kufahl June 23rd, 2008 08:36 PM

That was unbelievable Per! I was absolutely captivated by the still-photo you posted, and now this... all I can say is WOW! Excellent footage, subject, voice-over, and music. I'm standing and applauding you right now. I'm looking forward to your next one already.

Sincerely,
Andrew

P.S. I should have posted something about mine before I watched yours... cause now I don't want anyone to see mine. But, considering this is my first time entering, and this event is an opportunity for us to learn from each other, I consider myself to have learned so much from your and everyone else's entries. So, I don't totally consider mine a failure (well, actually now I do... but I'm pretending that I don't). Take care, and thanks again.

Steve Siegel June 23rd, 2008 08:54 PM

Per,
You did it again. First the Capercaillie, now the Great Gray. I try and try to duplicate the lighting, clarity and ambiance in your footage, but can't even come close. There has to be a secret. But I know what it must be. It's one of those mountain gnomes of Norse legend who has given you the gift of the soul of the forest. Thanks for sharing with us all.

Trond Saetre June 24th, 2008 10:22 AM

Per Johan, that was awesome, or should I say perfect! (I'll say both)
Your stories become better and better, and the footage... well, that has always been sharp and with great colors.
It is impressive how you always manage to have the camera in the right place at the right time.

Very well done!!

Eric Gulbransen June 24th, 2008 12:25 PM

Very nice Per Johan. I especially love the closeup shot of the owel's face. Almost eerie. As if there was a human inside of that costume.

Also great job from the hides. Do you bait them to get them to fly towards you, or do you hire some type of owl whisperer? Because if you just sit there waiting for moments like that I can't understand how you can still be married. Must take miles of tapes to gather the special seconds..

Oliver Pahlow June 24th, 2008 07:41 PM

That was fantastic Per Johan. I just took my camera and tossed it in the garbage....just kidding. What great cinema photography. How did you get the owl to fly right by you? Did you use any bait? Wow.

Oliver

Per Johan Naesje June 25th, 2008 12:37 AM

Thanks all for your kind comments about my film! Some of you ask how to get this owl flying stright into the camcorder.
Well, this is not any easy task, even if it looks like in the film! There was very much try and errors to this. Countless hours of waiting.
This is a breeding pair, when I was there they where nesting. In this way they had to fly back to the nest with the food they was catching. By studying the flight path, they often stops on the same branch or stone to rest before they fly back to the nest.

Adrinn Chellton June 25th, 2008 02:00 AM

Wow Per, your skill at videography always leaves me in awe. You must have the patience of a buddhist monk in order to get the shots you have! I really liked the shots of the owl taking flight. And the part where he is landing on the prey is intense.

Keep it up, you are a pro!