UWOL # 9 "Sealife" by Vidar Vedaa. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 28th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #16
Trustee

Vidar,

That was wonderful. You got both Under Water and Over Land - both parts of the challenge!

The underwater footage was superb, the background music was very subtle and didn't detract from the ambient underwater sounds either. The close-ups of the plants on the shore at the start were very beautifully framed, and I just loved the silhouette of the heron at the end, what a great shot to finish on.

That water looks pretty cold though!

Last edited by Mike Beckett; June 28th, 2008 at 07:01 AM.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #17
Major Player

Free-diving.

Hello Mike

It`s not cold at all.Whit this free-diving weath-suite you can easely dive
in middel of the winter. They are werry isolated,made fore winter use.
So if you will into the wather this is recomended.

VJV.

Old June 28th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Vidar,
From a small boy I loved the colorful underwater world of coral reefs, plants and the crazy looking shellfish etc, watching films of Hans Hass and his wife Lotte.
The colorfully underwater images are stunning as were the rock flowers and a steady hand on the cam when on the dive.
Old June 28th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I liked this entry, the landscape underwater is always beautiful to look at. I agree that some VO would have been nice but I can understand why you didn't add it. I thought the transition from above water to under water was well done.

Hope to see you next round.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #20
Major Player

Hi Vidar,

Well, I'll say right upfront that this is my favorite entry (with only a couple to view)! Without a doubt your best entry to date - I just loved it.

I particularly enjoyed how you set the dive scene up. The scenes with the wild flowers and you diving in the background, with the lovely sound of the gentle waves, was perfect. I love the shallow DOF look - and you used it beautifully.

You really gave us an appreciation for "sealife", with some nice shots from both above and below the surface. I also liked the music selection for below the surface, which continued that beautiful gentle overall feel.

The footage would have to be one of the best composed and was razor sharp throughout and very well edited. I wouldn't have included the shot where you are putting on the watch - or if you feel it had to be in there, I wouldn't have "chopped" your head off. The shots that followed from 00:23 to 00:33 were just perfect. I also like from 00:40 - 00:44 - which really put the diving spot in perspective. I personally would have excluded the shots of you talking to your friend and gone straight to the Heron on the rock - just to keep that wild, remote natural look.

Vidar, I really enjoyed being part of this beautiful late afternoon dive. You clearly had a wonderful day on the water and as I have said, in my mind, I think this is a winning entry.

Go Vidar, I say.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 04:16 AM   #21
Major Player

Hi All

And tanks allot to David,Adrinn and Ron fore nice coment.
And I think this Channels best thing is that wee puch eathc adder
to make a good progress in film making.I see the challerger from
Uwol#1 to now, is real great.So to sher ower work is important!!!

Best Regards
Vidar.
Vidar Vedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #22
Major Player

Hi Vidar,

Those were some great underwater shots. I like the fact that you have shown you don't necessarily need full scuba gear to get great under water shots.

Oliver
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #23
Trustee

Vidar,

You have some of the most stunningly beautiful underwater footage I have seen. The color and clarity is excellent.

I also like the way you managed sound, relying on the "lapping" sounds of the water while above water to help set the mood, then bringing in the soft music that seemed to fit the mood very well.

Excellent piece of work.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 03:31 AM   #24
Trustee

Hi Vidar.

Nice film Vidar.
I like the intro very much and the diving scenes are just great.
Good choice of music, as always, and the background sound is just right for this kind of video. Maybe you should have put some text to the norwegian talking at the end, but thats a minor issue I think. It's just chitchat (smaaprat) after all :)
Great colours and editing too.

All the best.
Geir Inge
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Hei Vidar,

This must be your best video so far!
Stunning underwater footage!

One detail:
The sequence beginning at 0:16 where you put on the watch. Here I would have either zoomed more in to the hands/watch, or a more wide shot to include your face as well.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge