UWOL #9 "New Haven" by Rob Evans - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 27th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #16
Regular Crew

That was very interesting, I liked the story and the visuals were clear and sharp. The narration was top notch you can tell your wife. You took on the challenge of making this a mini documentary and did a very good job.

Can't wait to see your next entry.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #17
Major Player

Hey Rob beautiful job. While first listening I thought to myself, "Boy Rob's voice is very soothing. Almost woman-like" Then of course I slapped myself silly. Not enough sleep lately.

Wonderful narration/story/VO. Nice images, good research. Congrats.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #18
Trustee

Rob,

As I work my way through the videos, I think this is the first UK entry after my own. Let's see what we have to offer!

Nice bug shots at the start, especially the damsel fly. The midges just make me want to start scraching, though - I hope you didn't get too badly bitten.

The depth of field on some of those shots is superb, I wish I had the cash for one of those adapters. The pied wagtail on the bridge handrail is particualy beautifully framed. You did really well to capture those reed warblers - that can't have been easy, given their size, colour, shyness and the vastness of the wetlands.

Even the wildflowers really come to life. And those shots at the end with the setting sun's rays and the insects are beautifully shot and lit.

Very well done - and you might persuade Louise to come back for your next voiceover too!
Old June 29th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #19
Major Player

That was fantastic Rob. You captured some very interesting insect footage. I liked the way you put the whole thing together along with the VO it was pleasant and informative. I learned something.

Oliver
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #20
Major Player

Hi Rob
getting to your video so late means that almost everyone has already said all the good stuff...My 2 cents worth is that I enjoyed your video,found it informative.I cant believe how good everyone is getting at these challenges
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:58 AM   #21
Major Player

Hi guys thanks for all the feedback. Louise is particularly pleased at all the positive feedback on the VO -it was done in a little bit of a hurry, with noisy neighbours and overhead planes to contend with but it worked out really well ;-)
Mat, I know what you mean about the potential for information overload - I sometimes feel that you can be limited by three minutes, and I certainly had enough script ideas and footage to stretch this to at least five minutes, maybe more.
John, i think you're on the money when you say "I cant believe how good everyone is getting at these challenges " - I totally aggree - you can see it in everyone's work, the upward curve of progression is all around.
Perhaps there'll be a UWOL TV channel one of these days huh ?

Cheers!

Rob
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #22
Major Player

This was an amazingly poetical film- the images were almost surreal in their beauty. Some of the grassland scenes were just transfixing. The music and VO worked perfectly- I learned a lot and was mesmerized by the images. Thanks for sharing.

Ruth
Old July 9th, 2008, 03:35 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Hi Rob,

This was very interesting and informative! Louise did a great job with the VO.
Maybe we'll hear more of her in your future videos?

I like how you play with the DOF. Well done!
Some footage was a little soft, but I liked it anyway.

Keep up your good work!
Thanks for sharing!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge