UWOL #9 "New Haven" by Rob Evans at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Major Player

UWOL #9 "New Haven" by Rob Evans

I've tried a few attempts at writing a full script on previous UWOL challenges but they've never really worked out. This time round I had a really strong idea of what I wanted to say, and I shot everything according to that idea, which made the whole process a lot easier!
I filmed the whole thing using a letus extreme 35mm adapter, and canon lenses up to 400mm. It's still a very new filming concept to me, but it seems to be producing results that I'm very happy with.

Thanks have to go to my wife, Louise, who is now almost 5 months pregnant, for stepping in to record the VO when my voice failed after a bout of "man flu"

Vimeo version here:
http://www.vimeo.com/1214053
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hey Rob:

Never seriously considered using my FX1 with an adapter for one of these nature challenges, as I don't have very long lenses for that purpose. Your image are great, and that has changed my mind.

Super job.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Rob,
First let me congratulate you, Dad to be.

I see you have used the creative camera technique of Focus Pull.
The scrip is well thought through, and your wife has done a great job on the narration. (Roll over Kate Humble)

The Jubilee River, construction in the 1990s I remember watching it’s progress when either passing over on the M4 or A4
Old June 23rd, 2008, 03:04 PM   #4
Trustee

Rob,

Nice work. Some beautiful shots. Editing, music choice and narration were right on the mark.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 03:31 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Rob,

A very nicely put together film!!!! you had a nice cross section of creatures and i am sure time allowed you would have had more!!! I really liked the images with your letus extreme allowed you to get. Goes to show thow old fd lenses can still do great work.
thanks for sharing!!!

Oh yea the naration was awesome!!

I loved the theme!!!!! great choice, well defined!!! great statement!!
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:11 PM   #6
Trustee

Very well executed, nicely narrated with a solid script. Congratulations Rob, on both your film and your expected baby!

Cato
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Major Player

Rob,
A capivating piece. I especially like what you did with the light as it played on various insects. There is just something about the English countryside and its gentle charm that we can't duplicate over here, and you captured it perfectly. Maybe it was your wife's voice.
I expected to see Ratty and Toad appear on screen. Just loved it.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #8
Trustee

Hey Rob.

Nice peice fella! Some lovely use of shallow dof in your piece and that must be tough to control. I really like the use of it on the peid wagtail! I usually find myself fighting to find more dof so using an adapter like that must be tough. I'm not sure it hasn't softened things a lot though. I found quite a bit of the footage soft and a bit washed out. The VO delivery was excellent, your wife has a talent for it! On the whole I found there to be too much infomation though. I thought a bit more breathing space for some of the shots would have helped the piece overall. That said it was informative, interesting and well delivered.

Good work
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Rob,

Well I'm very excited to see what can be done with the Letus Extreme as mine just arrived a few weeks ago (still setting up the support rails). I'm using mine on my Canon HV30. Anyway, back to your entry.

Rob, I just love the use of the shallow DOF - it's got such a nice feel to it. The opening shots with your title work perfectly and also the late afternoon shots - just magical. Whilst some of the shots were a bit soft, I think these were too few to detract too much from the overall piece.

I think Louise has a beautiful voice and she did the vo perfectly. I found the whole story line very interesting and very well researched.

You certainly are very talented with the camera Rob and it always is exciting to see what you will come up with next. Great job with a beautiful overall feel.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #10
Major Player

Rob,

Very nicely done...colors and composition were excellent. And I learned something, which I always appreciate in these challenges.

I particularly like the shots right at the end, with the insects flitting about in the setting sun light....

And, as all have noted, your wife did an excellent job with the VO...
I think I'm going to see how my wife can do...

Bob T.
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #11
Major Player

Very well done Rob, very well done. Your lady should record more VO, her voice is perfect.
And with you filmmaking that is a perfect mix. I love the DOF in this film, it’s a perfect way of exposing the right thing in the picture. You know have to handle a camera.
Very well sir…
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #12
Wrangler

As I’ve told a couple other folks from overseas, watching scenes of the landscape is just as interesting to me as those including wildlife, and this one was no exception. I found the shot of the man-made river with Windsor Castle in the background quite interesting.

Another thing I’ve mentioned more than once is that insects aren’t really my cup of tea; however, their presence in this video made me appreciate the birds even that much more! :)

Nice work, Rob.
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:55 AM   #13
Trustee

Excellent film Rob, much have been said to this already. Your use of DOF was perfect in my eyes! Your wifes narrating was also splendid.
Definitive one of the top entries this round!
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Brilliant.

A top class entry.

Beautiful scenery well presented and some wonderful shots of the reed warblers.

You really created a complete piece here rather than just a collection of nice footage which really raises the bar for the rest of us.

Well done!

Pete.
Peter Damerell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #15
Major Player

An amazing story - a brand new river on the map of GB!
Your information is very well thought out, beautifully supported by your footage and professionally narrated by Louise. A really enjoyable video to watch - another top video.
Congrats too!
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge