UWOL #9 – Southwest Idaho Neighbors - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 28th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #16
Major Player

I really enjoyed watching your entry, Lorinda. It was like going birding on a cool spring morning. You have following moving birds down pat. I see that your killdeers are like our killdeers. They give you just the beginning of the broken wing display, then stop before you can film it. They probably know that we aren't really dangerous. I look forward to your next entry. One thing you might want to do is to fade right into the next scene instead of to black first.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #17
Trustee

Lorinda,

What a lovely film! I didn't mind the hand held footage at all, I found it added energy to the piece. I found it gave me the impression of you, as a human, watching the critters - rather than perfectly smooth, machine-type movements making the viewer forget there is a human behind the lens.

I wish we had rock chucks round here. I'd swap them for brown rats any day!

I like your comment about killdeers. They remind me very much of plovers that I have witnessed in Australia - and they scare me! Nesting in public parks and near paths, and chasing anyone who has the misfortune to come by. I remember sitting on the balcony in a hotel in Cairns watching a particularly angry pair chasing an unsuspecting jogger. You never have a camera at times like that. Anyway, I digress (again).

Pretty cool shot of the hawk being harassed by the smaller bird. All it would take would be one swipe and he would get peace and quiet, but no! And mallard may be common, but I do love them, and the baby mallards are just too cute. That sequence of the little duckling left behind was so sweet!

I agree with what you say about the unpredictability of wildlife. They won't follow the script, they won't stand where they're supposed to, and they won't take any direction. Isn't it just great? I love it.

Oh.... and I love your accent! Great voiceover, nicely scripted.

Great first entry, very enjoyable.
Old June 28th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
...I love your accent!
What accent? ;)

Thank you, Mike and Steve. Mike, I know a farmer or two who would love to ship all the rock chucks to Ireland. Oh, but you said swap...never mind...
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #19
Trustee

Hi Lorinda

A nice selection of sequences you have here and done in a more video diary style which is nice. I particularly liked the hawk shot and the 'plover-like' bird, the earthy colours in the background were lovely. A quick not on the sequence though, the cut to the agitated bird had a completely different lighting and location, or certainly looked that way so was abrupt when cut. Some colour/contrast correction would have helped here! While I agree with Mike on the handheld stuff I do think some of it would have benefitted from tripod mounting, particularly stuff like the opening landscape.

Overall I felt the film needed more of a round up or premise, this may have been as simple one-liner at the end to bind the sequences together.

Nice entry, more on those Marmot's please! :-)

Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #20
Wrangler

So you found UWOL at last! Or, I suppose, it hunted you down...

You really went after this...this is no one-day wonder, it takes a lot of effort to get diverse shots of interesting wildlife. And all those magic hour shots, someone had to get out of their warm, toasty bed for those! You have very nice lighting throughout....

Why do hawks get harrassed by smaller birds? I see that all the time in these parts but never when I have a camera in my hand...

Anyway, welcome to our Challenge, extra props for getting both Challenges done at the same time.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:32 PM   #21
Trustee

Lorinda:

I really enjoyed meeting your neighbors. You got some neat stuff on those critters, and like others have said, your VO narration and the warm friendly sound of it added a lot.

Each of these challenge venues has it's own appeal. I love the DVC and it's storytelling...When I can get a crew to work with me.

And the UWOL challenge is just another way to experience the wonder of this world.

But it sure is a 3 ring circus to participate in both when the challenges overlap like they did this time.

Sheesh!
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #22
Major Player

This was a great film. Please become a UWOL regular :)

Your commentary was great and added so much to the footage. I laughed at the comments on the killdeer- very true.

Very nice variety of footage, thanks for sharing your state.

Ruth
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #23
Wrangler

Now that DVC 13 is through I can come back to this nice place and sit a spell...

Thanks for the comments, Mat. As for marmots, or rock chucks, filming nothing but them would be a piece of cake since they're all over the place.

Dang it, Meryem, you dared me to join this on purpose didn’t you—knowing that it’s addictive. Pusher! ;) Oh, and I think you know me too well to believe this old girl would get out of bed to shoot, but thanks for the laugh anyway.

To answer your question (or was it rhetorical?) as near as I could find out the smaller birds (oftentimes blackbirds) attack hawks simply because they’re too close to the nests. Makes sense, I suppose. I read that hawks will eat the eggs and baby birds—I don’t know much about birds of prey but have never heard of them eating eggs...

Bruce, I won’t promise that the DVC won’t collide with UWOL ever again, but Dylan and I do keep an eye on such things. :)

Ruth, you’re racing through these entries like wildfire! Don’t know how you’re doing it, but I appreciate your nice comments...very much.
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #24
Wrangler

Aha, she's hooked! Now reel her in!

Those smooth-talking UWOL lads and lassies are hard to resist, aren't they?

Glad you had fun joining our international love-fest.

And I will get a DVC entry done this year -- if you put on that creepshow again at Halloween, I would like another crack at that. I'm sure that Marco is already sharpening his knives...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Hi Lorinda, and welcome to the uwol family!

Thank you for teaching me something new about your part of the world.
You have an interesting story and awesome footage.
I like how you mix the natural sound with your narration and the music in the background.
Very well done!

Please stay with us for the future challenges.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Lorinda,

What a pleasurable video!!! Your naration just makes me want to hunker down and enjoy!! It all seems so gentle and nice!! Great job. Hope to see more from you in the next go around!!!

thanks for sharing !!!!!!

Last edited by Meryem Ersoz; July 10th, 2008 at 10:02 AM.
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge