DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#9 "Itsy Bitsy Spider" by Oliver Pahlow (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/124376-uwol-9-itsy-bitsy-spider-oliver-pahlow.html)

Oliver Pahlow June 23rd, 2008 12:22 PM

UWOL#9 "Itsy Bitsy Spider" by Oliver Pahlow

Well folks, please be gentle. Like Bob Thieda I also bought a cheap Macro lens. Being my first time using one I could not quite get close enough to the title subject because of the bridge railing. I will post a .wmw version on my web site for those that are curious. As to the Red Winged Black Birds, I just read in the Chicago Tribune that they are attacking people all over the city. They are very territorial. Oh, I also have a misspelling in the ending credits. That's what I get for a last minute submission.

Regards,

Oliver Pahlow

http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen...tsy_spider.mov

www.blindchildproductions.com

Catherine Russell June 24th, 2008 05:02 PM

Hi Oliver:

I had a chuckle at your quick exit on this one! You get us all settled in to watch your story unfold and then, whoop! over! You had a great lead in though! Next time don't give us such a tease!

Cato

Oliver Pahlow June 24th, 2008 05:38 PM

Thanks Catherine. I got a little frustrated with this challenge. I'll do better next time.

Oliver

Markus Nord June 25th, 2008 09:39 AM

Nice film, too bad you didn’t get that much spider in your film, some macrowork on them would have been nice.

Paul Mailath June 26th, 2008 06:09 AM

I agree with Catherine! - I was just settling in to hear about the spiders and .. off you went!

Those are some aggressive birds

Per Johan Naesje June 26th, 2008 06:24 AM

Well Oliver, don't give up, even if it can be hard to get what you want. And this community will support you in your struggle to improve for sure!

Oliver Pahlow June 26th, 2008 09:05 AM

Thank you all for your comments and words of encouragement. I have learned a great deal from watching what all of you are doing with your work. I realize I have more learning to do. I am looking forward to the next challenge and not only to participate but also to see what everyone else comes up with.

Oliver

Catherine Russell June 26th, 2008 09:06 AM

Hey Oliver:

Bob, in his thread, posted your website link to free music you create yourself and post there. That is REALLY COOL and I will definitely check it out and see if I can use some in the future. You are a multi-talented guy and I'm sure we can all benefit from it!

Cat

P.S. Not bad this round, you stayed out of the tank and you got to try out some new equipment. I tried something different last round and it kind of flopped. I think this is what this forum is best for, pushing limits and seeing how far we can go!

Oliver Pahlow June 26th, 2008 09:30 AM

Thank you Cat,

The music library is small at the moment (about 10 in the main music page and about 19 in the music archived page) but I intend to keep adding to it. The piece that Bob used for his film is called "In The Shadows".
I agree we you, there is no learning unless you try new things and push limits, oh and staying out of the shark tank...;)

Oliver

Chris Barcellos June 26th, 2008 09:38 AM

Redwings were the only things active in my piece too. I did a little research on them and learned that it is only the male of the species that is big, and dark, and that has the red wing markings. Females are smaller and brownish in color.

Oliver Pahlow June 26th, 2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 899092)
Redwings were the only things active in my piece too. I did a little research on them and learned that it is only the male of the species that is big, and dark, and that has the red wing markings. Females are smaller and brownish in color.

I saw the females. They seemed to be the food gatherers. The males were very protective and they were attacking me as I walked by.

Oliver

John Dennis Robertson June 27th, 2008 12:25 AM

I understand when you say you got frustrated with this challenge,its happened to me more than once.The basic concept and idea was there,what will be more frustrating to you is that you are probably already thinking on where and how and what you could have done better.having said that...I liked your video Oliver...keep plugging away

Oliver Pahlow June 27th, 2008 09:34 AM

John,

Thank you for the encouragement. I try not to get too frustrated with the next challange.

All the best,

Oliver

Lorinda Norton June 27th, 2008 11:17 PM

Maybe it's my mood tonight, but I loved your video! I started grinning from the start for some reason and found the whole thing to be delightful. Deadpan delivery--plus. The tiny frogs--plus. The spider in soft focus--PLUS.

And I laughed out loud at the ending. Thanks for the great entertainment, Oliver. :)

Oliver Pahlow June 28th, 2008 02:50 AM

Thank you Lorinda. I'm glad you loved it. It did not quite turn out the way I wanted it to, but I do aim to entertain...;)

Oliver