UWOL#9 "Itsy Bitsy Spider" by Oliver Pahlow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:22 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL#9 "Itsy Bitsy Spider" by Oliver Pahlow

Well folks, please be gentle. Like Bob Thieda I also bought a cheap Macro lens. Being my first time using one I could not quite get close enough to the title subject because of the bridge railing. I will post a .wmw version on my web site for those that are curious. As to the Red Winged Black Birds, I just read in the Chicago Tribune that they are attacking people all over the city. They are very territorial. Oh, I also have a misspelling in the ending credits. That's what I get for a last minute submission.

Regards,

Oliver Pahlow

http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen...tsy_spider.mov

www.blindchildproductions.com

Last edited by Oliver Pahlow; June 23rd, 2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: adding shortcut to submitted film
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Oliver:

I had a chuckle at your quick exit on this one! You get us all settled in to watch your story unfold and then, whoop! over! You had a great lead in though! Next time don't give us such a tease!

Cato
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Catherine. I got a little frustrated with this challenge. I'll do better next time.

Oliver
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #4
Major Player

Nice film, too bad you didn’t get that much spider in your film, some macrowork on them would have been nice.
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #5
Trustee

I agree with Catherine! - I was just settling in to hear about the spiders and .. off you went!

Those are some aggressive birds
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #6
Trustee

Well Oliver, don't give up, even if it can be hard to get what you want. And this community will support you in your struggle to improve for sure!
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #7
Major Player

Thank you all for your comments and words of encouragement. I have learned a great deal from watching what all of you are doing with your work. I realize I have more learning to do. I am looking forward to the next challenge and not only to participate but also to see what everyone else comes up with.

Oliver
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #8
Trustee

Hey Oliver:

Bob, in his thread, posted your website link to free music you create yourself and post there. That is REALLY COOL and I will definitely check it out and see if I can use some in the future. You are a multi-talented guy and I'm sure we can all benefit from it!

Cat

P.S. Not bad this round, you stayed out of the tank and you got to try out some new equipment. I tried something different last round and it kind of flopped. I think this is what this forum is best for, pushing limits and seeing how far we can go!
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #9
Major Player

Thank you Cat,

The music library is small at the moment (about 10 in the main music page and about 19 in the music archived page) but I intend to keep adding to it. The piece that Bob used for his film is called "In The Shadows".
I agree we you, there is no learning unless you try new things and push limits, oh and staying out of the shark tank...;)

Oliver
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Redwings were the only things active in my piece too. I did a little research on them and learned that it is only the male of the species that is big, and dark, and that has the red wing markings. Females are smaller and brownish in color.
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Redwings were the only things active in my piece too. I did a little research on them and learned that it is only the male of the species that is big, and dark, and that has the red wing markings. Females are smaller and brownish in color.
I saw the females. They seemed to be the food gatherers. The males were very protective and they were attacking me as I walked by.

Oliver
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #12
Major Player

I understand when you say you got frustrated with this challenge,its happened to me more than once.The basic concept and idea was there,what will be more frustrating to you is that you are probably already thinking on where and how and what you could have done better.having said that...I liked your video Oliver...keep plugging away
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #13
Major Player

John,

Thank you for the encouragement. I try not to get too frustrated with the next challange.

All the best,

Oliver
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #14
Wrangler

Maybe it's my mood tonight, but I loved your video! I started grinning from the start for some reason and found the whole thing to be delightful. Deadpan delivery--plus. The tiny frogs--plus. The spider in soft focus--PLUS.

And I laughed out loud at the ending. Thanks for the great entertainment, Oliver. :)
Old June 28th, 2008, 02:50 AM   #15
Major Player

Thank you Lorinda. I'm glad you loved it. It did not quite turn out the way I wanted it to, but I do aim to entertain...;)

Oliver
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge