Prairie Predator at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:42 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Prairie Predator

http://www.vimeo.com/1219877

Above is a site where I have my Uwol available in a 56 mgbt file.

With my first plan blown out the window I at least had a chance to make this film between the rain, wind (that has hardly seemed to quit for over a couple months) and very little time. Just to keep things fun we have had the coldest spring sense 1917.

I found it rather challenging as the location prevented the use of a blind and hence everything was shot at some rather dramatic distances.
The chicks hatched just the other day but I was not willing to bother them to get a shot. I will see if I can get one to post this next week.

This particular shoot required a lot more patience than I am used to having, so many hours just setting about!!!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it for what it is worth.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:37 PM   #2
Trustee

Dale:

Your BEST YET. What is it this round where everyone is outdoing themselves? Your hard work paid off and it shows. You'll have to swap stories with Per and just how patient you have to be waiting for your catch on film. The only thing I would point out is the diagram of the vision of the owl. Either it should have stayed on a bit longer and you explain a bit more about it, or just leave it off and leave your narration as it is. I love your credits at the end, we are a kindred spirit there.

Cato
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 05:27 AM   #3
Trustee

Dale,
you showed me a species I never seen before. The Burrowing Owl is AFAIK not been observed in my countries any time! Real interesting to watch.
I think you did well, hence there was some clips that was a bit too long. You might considered using some more close-up and different angles too. The graphics was difficult to view.
Overall an informative and nice piece to watch, keep up your good work Dale!
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Good Morning,

Thanks for the comments, Cat and Per!!

I knew I needed more and different footage, This particular site I only had one position I could shoot from. I spent three days shooting, returned a couple other days but got no footage. so I did not have a lot of footage to select from ( (part of the reason for extended length of a couple clips). Oh yea, these owls spend 98% of their day almost stationary. I had thought about baiting them to get some flight sequences but I would have to drive 90 miles to buy a couple mice so I pitched that idea. When both parents are out hunting in a week or two I may go back and give that a go.

My editing was limited to 2 hours friday night the 20th. Had some huge editing issues (using new software will do that every time). The Chart I would have liked to make from scratch but was pressed to use one I had around from wildlife education displays I have done in the past. It did not copy as well as I would have liked. Cat is right about that!!!

thanks for the suggestions.
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Dale owls and raptors are a favorite of mine, having kept a few over the years,
the biggest being a pair of eagle owls.
I read that in 1999 only 88 pairs reside in Saskatchewan I hope they have come on since then.
Good information in the narration, I guess you were unable to get any close ups because of them seeing you long before you got anywhere near their burrow.
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #6
Major Player

Great job Dale! I love (trying) shooting bird footage. Especially in flight (although I almost never get them in frame, or in focus). Good story, and great idea going back to the nest incorporating the "protection" part of it. Love the eyes
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #7
Major Player

Dale,

That was very interesting and what great shots. Very nice. I look forward to seeing what you come up with next challenge.

Oliver
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #8
Major Player

That’s a cool owl… and tiny! Nice film, I liked you story and the way you told it. The illustration was a bit small, I hade problem to se the picture and the sound was a bit low.
Nice done!
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #9
Major Player

Hello Dale

Again a facinating bird film from the Prairie,you fore shore have
a lovely wildlife aeria ther.And you make a nice film of this small
Uwol?!

Lock forword to see your work!!!

VJV.

Old June 26th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #10
Wrangler

I’m not even half done watching all the entries yet feel like I’m taking a course in wildlife here. That was quite interesting, Dale. Amazing to me that you not only found the eggs but that there was enough light to shoot them. Also, I’d never thought about Saskatchewan containing some of the Badlands (like it would stop at the US border).

For not having any sunlight you managed to keep the colors pretty saturated—it’s still nice, though dark. My favorite shot came late when the ground squirrel (I’d have called that little thing a prairie dog, so thanks for tagging it) appeared behind the owl.
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #11
Trustee

Great choice of species and a very interesting look at it Dale. I actually saw one of these fellas at an owl sanctury last year. The legs are amazing. I thought your film un-folded very well and was really informative. I like the use of the diagram although graphically it could have be stronger. Some of your footage was great with good range of shots to tell your story. Some of the footage could have used a bit more stabilising but on the whole it was really nice. I can see why you used the stills you did although they do deflect a bit from the 'film' feel and make it feel more 'presentation'.

I think this is my favourite piece of yours so far. Great unfolding story and nice premise....great little film fella!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #12
Major Player

Hi dale
one of your best so far.great close up on the birds eyes.I did have a problem with the sound,you might want to just check the sound settings again.thanks for sharing your world with me
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #13
Trustee

Dale,

The burrowing owl. Well, well, well, nature does throw up some strange animals for us!

There was a good flow to the film, a good script. Your voiceover is good too, but sounds a little "tinny". I'm no sound expert, so I can't be sure if it's the voiceover or my ears. But the levels were good, and the music was nicely subtle.

I feel the pain of being too far away from your subjects - I can see why you slipped in the stills to make up for that. The shot at around 00:36 was pretty close up though, how did you achieve that one?

Well done - a great film, very informative, and a good introduction to a new creature.
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #14
Major Player

Burrowing Owls? 2 year life spans? 2 fields of view? What a crazy world we live in...

I love when I learn/see new things, so thank you for that.

Nicely done, especially considering the distance from the subject. And yes, the diagram was unreadable in this small format.

Keep up the great work.

Bob
Old June 29th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #15
Major Player

Hi Dale,

I enjoyed learning so much about this beautiful little owl - through your well researched and delivered narration and also the wonderful variety of shots (Catching prey, eggs, diagrams, etc). I thought you got some nice close ups - even without the hide.

Well done Dale, even though you were unable to capture the Prairie Falcon (which would have been wonderful), you disappointed us!
David Gemmell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge