DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #9: "Escaping life's sharks" by Grant Karl Sherman (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/124406-uwol-9-escaping-lifes-sharks-grant-karl-sherman.html)

Grant Sherman June 23rd, 2008 04:30 PM

UWOL #9: "Escaping life's sharks" by Grant Karl Sherman

http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen...ifessharks.mov

A vain attempt to escape the sharks this time. It's left me with one leg in the tank. I shot 7 hours of footage for this one - then spent 1 hour editing and uploading. Can I use a 4 day birthday party as an excuse. It's not every day that you turn 40...

Catherine Russell June 23rd, 2008 09:16 PM

Hey Grant:

So can I help it if I liked it? I actually thought it was pretty cool filming. I don't see or hear anything like that in Colorado! Happy Birthday.... 4 days, eh? I'd go for 5 days when you get to 50!

Way to stay out of the tank :)

Cat

Bob Thieda June 24th, 2008 08:31 AM

Grant,

Looked pretty good to me. Nice shots and no sharks for you. :)

Bob

Dale Guthormsen June 24th, 2008 09:24 AM

Grant,

I love the footage and in particular of the gull pushing the ?? off the ledge it wanted to occupy. I needed some ambient background music. Good job for staying out of the tank!!

I almost took the dive this time myself!!!!

Markus Nord June 26th, 2008 01:53 AM

That’s a nice way of staying out of the tank Grant, fascinating place you got there. You did a good job on this one. Good mix of different angles.
Well done Grant

Paul Mailath June 26th, 2008 05:46 AM

40 - you youngster you!

I liked the footage - would have liked some narration or music to polish it off but it was fine as it is.

It did give me an idea for next time though!

Per Johan Naesje June 26th, 2008 06:14 AM

Grant, first of all congrats on your 40th birthday! I would like to come over and visiting you some time. Looks like your place is filled with seabirds. And it looks like you get some good views there for filming too?
Think you did nice with only 1 hour of editing on this one!

David Gemmell June 26th, 2008 07:27 AM

Hi Grant,

Happy Birthday - sounds like the party worked out!

Great shots and what an amazing place!

Yes, some establishing shots, maybe some voice over but nice nonetheless. Life is really "living on the edge" where you were filming, and I think you portrayed this daily battle very well.

Well done Grant.

Rob Evans June 26th, 2008 01:22 PM

Hi Grant! Congrats on your 40th!

I always feel transported to a different world watching your stuff from Lundy. Excuses aside ;-) I think the overall presentation would have really benfitted from some simple fading in and out at the ends for audio and video - It can actually have a big impact overall.
If I was a teacher, I think I'd be happy with handing B's out, but always feeling there's an A or two round the corner ;-)

Peter Damerell June 27th, 2008 05:55 AM

Plenty of potential here.

Lundy is a great location and you got some good shots of the seabirds.

The gull going for that razorbill is a particularly fine piece of behaviour to have captured!

I felt the lack of music and the use of ambient sound actually added to the piece because you got a sense that this sea bird colony was much larger than the small section portrayed in the film.

I can’t wait to see what you can come up with next time when you haven’t been hitting the Lundy ale quite so hard!

Pete

Lorinda Norton June 27th, 2008 10:58 PM

Hi Grant,

I attended a conference last month that sounded just like that! :)

Your quick flick was pretty cool! I loved the first scene and it just got better with each cut. The one seagull parent couldn't have provided a prettier setting for you to shoot, and I'm so glad you spotted it. Also, I couldn't help but wonder what another gull and the other birds (what are those--a type of penguin?) were thinking at 1:36. I kept hearing ridiculous dialog in my head like those silly video shows on television. Guess that means next time you'll have to provide the narration if you don't want dolts like me slipping in nonsense of their own. :)

Mike Beckett June 28th, 2008 01:08 PM

Grant,

A quickie, but a goodie. Those cliffs aren't half noisy! You seemed to suffer from some of the same "heat shimmer" issues as I did - people wouldn't believe the weather gets hot round these parts from time to time.

For a rush job, you got some good shots there - the guillemot with the fish at around 00:40, and the herring gull muscling in on the guillemots in the next scene. He wasn't a happy chappy!

You did well to get the herring gull chicks tapping the mother's beak for food, aiming for that red target on the underside, then she brings up the food for them. Fish paste for dinner, anyone?

That's one crowded place. I presume you wore earplugs for the duration!

Not bad for an old fella!!

Mat Thompson June 29th, 2008 04:46 PM

Blimey thats a busy place. I bet its pretty amazing to be amongst all that life! You certainly had some nice footage in your piece and I know you've raced to escape those pesky sharks...well done for getting stuck in and getting finished...many don't !

John Dennis Robertson June 30th, 2008 12:08 AM

Hi Grant
Awsome stuff for something that was only filmed to keep you out of the shark tank

Trond Saetre July 9th, 2008 09:49 AM

Hi Grant,

You have great picture and sound quality, and still you have a heavy compressed file.
(it shows as only 7,8MB)
You must know a trick or two I haven't learned yet. :)
Have you tried to get the file size closer to the 60MB limit to see if the already good image quality gets even better?

You gave us a great view of that area and all the birds. Very well done!
Thank you for sharing.