UWOL #9 - The River Bandit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

UWOL #9 - The River Bandit

I'm really trying hard not to beat myself up over this one... it is my first attempt after all. However, that's exactly what I've been doing as I've been enjoying everyone else's footage. Everybody did such a great job, and it is wonderful being part of this.

One of the things I know I did very wrong was that I chose not to "kill my babies". I just couldn't NOT submit this as my entry, even though I had footage that would have been more editable, with better shots and angles, etc... But, I had traveled to so many different places and had so many failures along the way, that this unexpected opportunity was truly a gift to me. I know I should have just shelved this footage for my archives... but for whatever reason it was just too special...

I know I needed more establishing shots, and I feel it could have also used some "B-roll" footage as well. Those are two things I am going to concentrate on for the next challenge. Everything happened so quickly though, and I got so excited with my find.

http://www.vimeo.com/1213246
Andrew Kufahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Andrew,
When we go looking for a particular subject, sometimes we find something unexpected. I think you got some great footage. I shall not say about what you are already aware of, regarding angles and b-roll, I agree; but what was important was that you told of your adventure and your findings, your script was exciting, I could tell in your writing that you really did love what you saw.

Well scripted, the use of your raw footage worked great, very fly-on-the-wall, and the shots matched your narrative very well.

Good job, and welcome to the Challenge - like me, a newcomer!

Regards,

Russ
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Not easy to shoot something backlit so hard. If it were me that Raccoon would have just been a silhouette. Not a very exciting one either. Good job Andrew.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #4
Trustee

Hi Andrew:

What's up? I really liked it! I think a lot of good film makers go with their gut feelings with their films. A film with passion will beat out a film that's calculated any day as far as I'm concerned. If this footage was the footage that felt like a gift and was very special, then I think you made the right choice for using this one over some others that you may have had. Narration was very good as was the camera handling. I think it's a fine job and look forward to your next contribution.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Andrew,

I thought you did a great job. The shots were sharp and you set the scene up nicely with your background narration. You also did well to hold the camera so steady on such a windy day. Well done and I look forward to seeing your UWOL 10 entry.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Nice film Andrew, those creatures are fun to watch. It would have been nice to seen them “in action”. Nice job
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #7
Trustee

Andrew, you have nothing to be be ashamed of! I think you did very well on this entry!
I don't think is easy to get any good footage of a shy species like this. And as others says, I think you was very thrilled about this experience and you showed us this in a good way! Your narration was good and it was like sitting beside you out there studying the raccoon!
Keep up your good work!
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Andrew,

You have to take advantage of opportunites when you get them!!! We have coons here and I have never seen one i could shoot with a camera!!! Thanks for going with it and sharing the footage!!!! Every effort will improve as you go along, lots of helpful people among this group!!!! One never stops learning.

thanks again!!
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Andrew, I liked the story you put behind this one. It was well thought out and interestingly written. Great for a first Uwol film!, raccoons are one of my favorite creatures.

Can't wait to see your next entry.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #10
Wrangler

A raccoon!! I love them, and never get to see one during the day. Pretty coloring; in addition, the long zoom out to show just how far away you were fit perfectly with the question in my mind, and I was amazed at the distance.

She did seem a tad irked that you were "staring" at her. But I don't think you put her out too bad--it was just cute. Thanks for giving us a good long gaze at such a neat little critter, Andrew.
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #11
Major Player

Like you I had no idea as to what I would film,just set out and see whats out there.I am a however spoilt for choice as to what I can film.I love seeing creatures that are new to me and am glad you found this little guy.I loved the opening shot of the flowing river...nice job
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #12
Trustee

Andrew,

The racoon - what a beastie! They have such a lovely face. Your close-ups around 00:40 are beautifully framed. I think I over-use the phrase, but what a pleasant-looking little animal she is.

The river looks pretty fierce too, and the wind can't have helped your telephoto camerawork either - but that didn't seem to hinder you too much.

Your voiceover told a good story, was well spoken and the level was just right. The lack of music, using just the sounds of the river and wind, worked well too - music isn't mandatory!

Also, I see you have the V1 as well. Was that just using the standard Somy 20x lens? You got some great color there, something I seemed to miss somehow, despite coming from a land that is supposed to be entirely green!

Well done, a great entry with a nice story.
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback and comments everybody. I really do appreciate them very much.

As follow-up to some of the comments made...

This was the first time I've seen a raccoon in the wild. The only other time I saw one was late one night as it walked across the street... but I only saw its silhouette. That's why I went back and forth so much trying to decide whether or not to submit it for my entry (because it was so unique to me)... I was just hoping it would be something everyone else would enjoy as well. I think they are really neat animals too.

The opening shot of the river was not too long after the heavy rains we experienced in this part of the country. When I first walked down to it, I was overwhelmed by how powerful it looked... I even said [to myself] out-loud "WOW".

Mike B. - Yes, that is just the standard V1 lens. I do also have the wide angle lens on it. About 2 months ago I finally found the "look" that suits my tastes pretty nicely, and locked it in as my picture profile of choice. It leans a little to the "warm" side (slightly yellow), and then I usually lean it a little more to the yellow side when I white balance. I end up having to do very little (if any) contrast and color-correction in post... which saves me a ton of time.

Thanks again everyone,
Andrew
Andrew Kufahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #14
Major Player

Andrew...Finally someone from my neck of the woods. With familair looking scenery.
I live several miles east of the Fox down here in Illinios.

My favorite videos are the ones that tell a story...and you told a story, excellent.
I could hear the excitement in your voice as you told it. It seemed very real and not forced.

And as others have pointed out, shooting a backlit subject like your raccoon is dang tricky, so good work there.

Outstanding first entry! Can't wait to see your next one.

Bob
Old June 28th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #15
Inner Circle

River shot at beginning was cool, too. Nice film, Andrew !

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge